Give Transparency About Moderation | Website-focused

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to know how things are moderated.

This feature request focuses on the website itself, as that’s mainly how people report assets and whatnot, but information about moderation on Roblox, in general, is something I’d like to be easily accessible.

I’m hoping for a forum announcement giving transparency along with updating this page with the same information, or linking to said announcement.

My questions are as follows:

1. Do moderators, or anyone, go through the Roblox website themselves? Or, does Roblox only look at things that are reported?
  2. What asset types does an actual person view before being usable when uploaded to Roblox?
  3. What does a single report mean? Does a threshold need to be met before a real person reviews the reported content?

I’m sure others have various questions about how Roblox moderation works as well. My main point about this is that I can’t exactly ‘request’ moderation to change for the better on Roblox if I don’t know how it works now.

If this issue is addressed, it would improve my development experience because I could better make feature requests specifically asking for better moderation on Roblox.

15 Likes

Recently, The Verge had an interview with David Baszucki, the CEO of Roblox. He shared a bit on moderation and, in section 1, I build on this feature request with a remark of his. In addition to this, I further the topic by discussing Roblox’s core values in section 2 and 3.

Section 1 - The Verge Interview

"…there’s so much more stuff we can build and then my partner Eric saying ‘we have to build our moderation system’. Followed by stating [moderation] was a ‘real values’ moment for [Roblox]. Moderation is a core value to Roblox, according to David.

David remarks that the ‘safety and civility’ side of Roblox is the biggest sector in terms of workforce. I wonder: How much do the people who look at our appeals know about Roblox?

From the ‘Product Support Manager, Moderation’ job position, I see that under the ‘You Have:’ section, there’s no mention of knowledge about Roblox.

Section 2 - Contradicting Core Values

Roblox’s core values should not contradict themselves, yet it seems the core value of ‘Respect[ing] the Community’ is lagging behind. Here’s an excerpt from the Roblox Game Jam blog post:

“…we consider our impact on the world, strive to respect everyone’s best interests,
and communicate authentically. Our community includes Roblox creators, developers, users, and employees.”

If “communicat[ing] authentically” means communicating as little as possible, or being vague, then sure, it’s ‘authentic’. In it’s current state, I don’t feel Roblox is direct with it’s communication and does not ‘respect’ its community.

Section 3 - The Flaws of Roblox's Communication

Some teams at Roblox have more of a focus on the community than others. The PM working on Xbox at Roblox has also been great at transparency recently.

Communication via the forums is flawed due to trust levels. I have massive respect for the forum staff, they are not the problem regarding communication and respecting the community. There’s obvious gray-area when it comes to certain teams at Roblox. We as a community can’t directly ask the marking team to calm down with Rthro in the same way I can request a feature for Xbox. I guess it makes sense for some teams. I can individually message developer relations, but I feel a better system from each Roblox team should be in place. What are each team doing with the core values?

Different groups on Guilded and on the forums are less-known and have their own communication issues, like not knowing if an application was even looked at. Side note, the Level-Up people have been amazing. Insights, communication, behind the scenes… it’s awesome.

Communication via RDC is dwindled due to the now 18+ age restriction. I’m sure there are good reasons, but it is something to note. Roblox’s audience for communication is flawed in various ways.

I’d like Roblox to take responsibility on their lack of transparency regarding moderation. Get stuff done and respect the community by giving us the transparency we strive for.

Regarding the final value, ‘Tak[ing] the long view’, I’d like to change it to the following: ‘Take the long view, but not to the detriment of the now.’ You can’t have a future if you ruin the present. And, we can’t change moderation if we don’t know how it works.

3 Likes

I think a major reason for the lack of transparency when it comes to moderation is the possibility of giving too much information away. As far as I know, anyone currently with any insider information about moderation are likely under NDA, and if not, the information they have are low-risk and very minor in the scope of things.

If Roblox provides information about their moderation system publically, it could lead to more successful bypasses of such moderation system. Unfortunately, when it comes to stuff like moderation, a fully transparent approach will never work. Especially with the questions you asked, most of those could be high-risk answers to give-out depending on the answer. If Roblox were to accidentally reveal any flaw of the system with such an answer, it would be used against them; hence why they likely don’t answer these questions.

2 Likes

That didn’t cross my mind at first. Thanks for sharing that.

One of the major complaints I hear from people about Roblox is the moderation, and, I’d like to change that. It makes sense, you wouldn’t want anyone to abuse the system, but I feel people already do. :person_shrugging:

That does make it difficult to change Roblox for the better. I feel like I can’t do much as the player, user, and developer side of Roblox’s community. Being an employee would help I think, not sure.

1 Like