Granting audio access to game doesn't work

I pray, oh how I pray, that you’re right and the copy on this message is incorrect:

2 Likes

EDIT: I didn’t mean to reply to you @lexandstuff, sorry!!

Unknown if this is out there but I’ve observed a few things while troubleshooting this problem myself in various circumstances. These tests were performed on audios that have no specific permissions, they are unchanged from before the update was pushed out.

The following list is what I’ve found, anything in bold are things I believe are unintentional.

If a user joins a place they own:

• Audios they uploaded work fine
  • Private audios still work

If a visitor joins a place they don’t own:

• Audios the place owner uploaded work fine
  • Private audios don’t work
  • Audios the visitor uploaded work fine*

If a user tests a place they own in studio:

• Audios the place owner uploaded don’t work

If a user joins a place owned by a group that they own:

• Audios the group owner uploaded work fine

If a user joins a place owned by a group they don’t own:

• Audios the group owner uploaded don’t work
  • Visitor audios work fine*

If a group owner joins a group place in studio

• Audios the group owner uploaded don’t work (This is fine, but it’s inconsistent with how it works in-game)

*Visitor audios work completely fine if I use them in a boombox, It’s almost like they play locally and no one else can hear them (I’ve tested it).

I know a few of the behaviors can easily be fixed by messing around with permissions, but it’s just some weird behavior I’ve observed while messing around with this update. Hope I can see some of these inconsistencies fixed.

2 Likes

Hmm, seems like asset privacy compliance is being verified on the client instead of the server. (or something went wrong during replication)

1 Like

Any updates? Would be nice if this could be fixed soon, I can’t start fixing my stuff until it’s out.

1 Like

Please fix this and update us quickly. It’s getting ridiculous and we’re losing a LOT of productivity

3 Likes

The staff replied in another topic. This was in the last 5 minutes.

This is happening for me with audio that was uploaded by the Roblox account as well (see: Ice Cream Cone Lick Attempt 2 - Roblox
as well as this APM track: Courtly Dance Main light - Roblox)

I am super disappointed. I did everything in my power to prepare, and followed the instructions to the T.
Audio discovery tool says that I’m allowed to use every sound asset in my game, including those uploaded by Roblox.

@Kairomatic
@nightend16
This thread seems to only talk about assets uploaded by users. Can I get confirmation as to whether I’m supposed to have permissions to use audio uploaded by the Roblox account itself, given it’s marked as OK by audio discovery?

1 Like

Yes, Roblox audios are allowed to be used.

This needs to be fixed by now. This is game-breaking. It’s been 2 full days and it’s still broken, we cannot develop in these conditions.

2 Likes

This is ridiculous, I’ve granted permission to my group game to use my audios and after the update release they just removed my permission and now I cant give it anymore.

If im doing something wrong please tell me.

2 Likes

You can get the Universe ID of an experience by using this API link:
https://api.roblox.com/universes/get-universe-containing-place?placeid=GAME_ID_HERE

4 Likes

I think you may be doing something wrong. Based on this. My game id (in the game links such as you have posted) does not match the UniverseID that is listed in my sound files which were given access to my game.

I’m not sure where you get the correct universeID for your game, but check that. Maybe by looking at some sounds that are working.

@Floo_d provided the link, the result for your game:
{“UniverseId”:2922009817}

If yall want a fix, archiving and unarchiving the asset seems to do the trick.

1 Like

Status update, please? It’s been 3 days now.

So this is severe enough to get fixed within a day, yet we’ve been waiting nearly a week for audio to be fixed and still nothing?

1 Like

It’s not as simple as that, different coding problems take different amount of times to solve, two errors at the same priority can take different lengths of time to fix.

It’s also worth noting, that games getting stolen is more critical of a bug than audio not working.

Okay. I’ve been experimenting with providing explicit permission to some of my group-owned audio assets and it seems to be allowing them to play in group Universe, to people who only have Play permission (we are testing a Private game). Those with Edit permission are able to play them without issue regardless of permissions and no audio works in Studio for anyone.

It appears that only newly uploaded group-owned audio assets require explicit permissions. The older ones work just fine for everyone.

This is indicating to me that we are going to need to provide explicit permission to our own Universes for assets uploaded by our group.

I know it’s Sunday for ya’ll, but I would so appreciate getting an official answer to this when you start tomorrow: Will group-owned assets be available to group-owned Universes without explicit permission?

I really need to know if I should be diverting the resources of my whole team to updating permissions on 50,000 group-owned audio assets, or if this is a bug and we should wait on resolution?

We have been told many times that group-owned assets wouldn’t require explicit permissions to group- owned Universes (I thought that was the whole point of checking for green ticks in the plugin). I understood the permission system was created to share permissions to Universes not owned by the group.

Thanks all! I know this is a really tough situation that was forced on you, so I’m keen to work together on resolving this.

• Lex (the annoying dev running a music game :smile:)
1 Like

It doesn’t matter. This is a bug that is not only game-breaking, but cannot be avoided. It was forced on us in a short time-frame, and now we can’t even fix our stuff to adapt to the change. Ridiculous and unacceptable for a service as big as Roblox.

1 Like

Okay, but what would you prefer, a game with no sounds or someone outright stealing your game and making a profit off your work.

1 Like