Help me with PBR

Hello, So this is my first time using PBR Texture, and I have no experience.

So I want to make a simple road with PBR on it, but I have some problem you are going to see in this screenshot.

There is a second problem: the PBR sometimes tiled for no reason like you can see in this screenshot

I hope anyone can help me. I really appreciate it. By the way, thank you.

1 Like

Here are some posts that might be helpful:
https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/class/SurfaceAppearance

Hope it helps a bit

3 Likes

Are you able to share what process you did to cause the SurfaceAppearance texture to tile like that?

I was under the impression that SurfaceAppearance did not have this functionality, and am interested if there was something I missed :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Look like I think it some bug that happens when ur upload the PBR, Sometimes it happens to me and sometimes not but pretty sure it just bug,

1 Like

I think you might have to change it from a ‘SurfaceAppearance’ to a ‘Texture’ (not a decal)!

1 Like

This looks like a simple case of OP not knowing that UVs are and what happens when they scale a mesh in the game engine without considering that they’re deforming the UV map. I would recommend looking up information on UV tutorials for game engines and 3d modeling programs to get the absolute basics. If you want a repeating texture you may have to use a base part instead of a mesh part so you can resize it without deforming the UV map.

2 Likes

btw i think there might be a tiled option for things like these in properties

1 Like

Hey I Know How To Tile PBR, All You Need To Do Is Right Click Your PBR Then Select Group, Then After That Just Add A Humanoid To The PBR By Clicking The Plus Icon On The Group PBR You Created Then Simply Add A Humanoid. Heres A Video If Your Confused Roblox Studio - How to tile your SurfaceAppearance (Small Texture Fix in Comment) - YouTube

Before:

After:

The Only Problem Is That It Makes The PBR Small Like Show Here

DM Me On Discord If You Need Help My User Is RealFoxGamer#9757

2 Likes

oh yeah i forgot i made this thread x_x

so artblox already show me this method 6-8 months ago but i forgot to share it with you guys.
This method works great on straight objects for example like walls and straight roads but curve road for examples its not going to work, idk why but yeah thank you

I’m not surprised your finding the use of Physically based rendered materials challenging. I’ll cut straight to the point and say if you use tiled materials from texture sites it will look duplicated. You best option is custom making materials for objects that your going to use at its own size and not stretch it.

I love to know more what you do you mean by this

Is it UV map the material or object that I want or?

One way I managed to get SurfaceAppearances to tile is by exporting the mesh as an .obj from Studio without any SurfaceAppearance or Texture instances parented, then reimporting it as a mesh. Then the SurfaceAppearance ends up tiling as if it was a material.image
I tried to replicate this behavior in Blender, but gave up after 30 minutes.

2 Likes

I wonder how safe it is to use this ‘humanoid method’ of tiling. I mean, if this is a glitch, and you build an entire map using this, how likely is it that Roblox will fix this glitch and ruin your work? Hmmm. Its a mystery.

never thought of that, i dont really think its a glitch, and roblox wont bother to fix it if its a glitch cause you know how they are right?

I learnt this from a tweet a few days before you posted this. It’s not perfect as you can’t control the tiling, but it’s not bad either.

I messed around with .obj files for a while and apparently this is due to how Roblox saves vertex textures. I managed to change the size of the tiles, but still no idea how to automate this process.

(Right is the mesh generated by “Export as .obj”, while the one on the left has edited texture vertices)

(If anyone’s still wondering how to do this, I was stupid and tired and kept overcomplicating things. All you have to do is apply a proper UV map, then scale it up to a massive size in a 3D editor. Then since the UV is bigger than the texture, it will circle around it creating a tiling effect. Beware of seaming though.)

1 Like

I have found a way to change the tiling effect, all you need to do is change the material

1 Like

It depends. If you want to use a PBR material for a large object then look for a PDB material tailored to your object. There’s no other way of doing it. (other than making your own material.

Or just edit the UV map so that it loops around the mesh. Any UV coordinate outside 0-1 range will wrap around the mesh multiple times. Doing this is a time consuming process, but excellent if done right. You can view this video for more information on how this is done.

This process is considered archaic in modern game development, but this is the most reliable way to get actual custom materials in Roblox.

1 Like

there is a new update called
custom materials beta