High Seas | Wrapping It All Up - Devlog #8

Awesome! Can’t wait to see how this game panns out; i’ll be sure to play it more!

1 Like

Hey everyone, it’s been a hot moment. I’ve fixed a lot of the bugs found in this thread - big thanks to all of your help! Tutorial has been changed (you now don’t teleport out of the game, then back in. It throws you right into the experience). Several bug fixes, and more content has been added.

I’d really like your feedback on these improvements!

If you’re struggling to create a seamless, large scale ocean I would highly recommend checking out this useful post:

I have tried the exact same water solution you have and found no way to absolve the “position” error when the character reloads, so this really helped. You’ll need to do some editing to achieve a desired look, but it has been an invaluable resource.

2 Likes

I will have to agree on that. It was not initially made for sharing. At the time, I was considering to leave Roblox. So I decided to publish it anyway.

That being said, I have done some attempts to make an endless skinned mesh sea. I made two failed prototypes that are endless but not beautiful. My conclusion is that you should copy this sea as much as possible.

1 Like

Yeah, that sea is stunning. What I mainly lack is blender experience - I can’t have that good waves, because I don’t have that good of a mesh.

In a server script, I just tp the ocean back to the player (otherwise it unloads on the client, and this script errors).

Thanks for both of your feedback!

Huge update in the works! This update will include:

• Quest system
    Players can opt into quests, for gold, resources, and experience.
  • Auto-shift lock when using swords. This helps mobile and computer users alike, for sword fighting.
  • A bank, where you can store money, and loot money.
  • Expandable map (which helps you when trying to navigate)
  • A whole lotta bug fixes. Lots of the issues you have all reported will be fixed, yay!

The main goal of this update is to make the game easier to understand, give it more playability, and revive it.

The mesh is actually just a really big subdivided square. It’s animated by looping through all the bones and applying some form of wave function or formula.

This is a great tutorial to get one up and running:

1 Like

Yeah, I actually all ready utilize a skinned mesh ocean. What I mean by the good mesh is that good looking of one - the texture and level of detail for mine is terrible.

Hey everyone, it’s been an interesting past few days. A lot of progress has been made. Introducing. . .

Quests!!!

Quests can be completed for exp, wood, or gold (a certain amount of exp is awarded every time you complete quests).

Using a nifty module I spent too long making, quests are easily generated. You get quests from NPCs, or from leveling up.

Improved Lighting/Skyboxes

They needed a lot of work. Atmosphere can really make or break the game. Some before and after pictures:

Before

After

Better or worse? What can I do to improve the lighting?

Other Bug Fixes

This too has been fixed. When you buy something from an NPC, their inventory is “cleared”, and it resets. Hurrah!

I scrapped the tutorial in its entirety (players wouldn’t stick through it). Now when you join, a cutscene plays. Then, you are prompted to do a few things from the quest gui. This hopefully shoves the players right into the action.

Guards can no longer attack other guards, or kill merchants. Guards now have better swinging - a bug where they wouldn’t fight back was occurring. This is now resolved.

3 Likes

Worse. I’d suggest lowering the blur, using atmosphere, and raising the brightness a little.

Looks a lot better! :+1:

1 Like

:laughing: Thanks for being honest.

Definitely a good idea. Probably need to lower the brightness though.

A script actually applies an atmosphere in-game, hopefully it looks a bit better.

1 Like

A little bit better? Decreased the diffusion a bit. The image is a little blurry, due to my snipping tool.

In this update, there is now a spawning system. YOU decide where to spawn, which allows to you to accomplish your goals/meet up places/have a better time.

Please let me know any bugs you may find. Thank you!

Thank you all so much for your support in this project, it means the world to me😁

The UI feels a bit distracting. But I’m excited to see the full game when it launches.

Love the progress that has been made. UI looks great, and i’m loving the atmosphere and lighting now.
Adding starter quests rather than a tutorial was definitely the right idea!
Only thing I would say at this time is to improve the map. Maybe add an icon if it’s a merchant spawn rather than change colour.

Yeah, I’m not the best at UI :sweat_smile: I’ll probably change it up, so the color scheme/images all fit together correctly. Thanks for your feedback!

I thought I had double the amount of parts :thinking: For a huge map, that isn’t so bad.

This has been mentioned a few times. This should now be added in :smiley: Whenever you equip a tool, shiftlock is automatically enabled.

Edit: As of now, NPC trading is officially COMPLETE! When you trade with them, it resets. Now, there aren’t infinite gold loops :smiling_imp:

Hey everyone, I’ve gotten a few questions on how I did the Quest system for my game. Because of these concerns, I’d like to open source the system, for you all to use.

Hope this makes your game better :blush:

1 Like

It looks okay but like @Crazedbrick1 said lower the blur and brightness.

Is there any storms in the game? it might make it looks a bit better with the water

Yeah, there are simple rain storms, thunderstorms, and hurricanes (along with sunny weather and “fair” weather).

Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like