Highlighter is highlighting more then just the parent

Reproduction Steps
https://gyazo.com/b38107dbc25838655fae3468a0b95954

Me deleting the first highlight is proper, its just removing highlight from the parent, however the highlight I deleted from the other part seemed to disable highlight for both?

Expected Behavior
Only the parent should be highlighted

Actual Behavior
https://gyazo.com/8439231a35d492af342579cf9b7da3c1

For refrence me clicking equip is spawning in the model with highlight and me unequipping is deleting it

Note: highlighter also seems to be enabled during runtime unannounced which is giving a lot of players problems in my game

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Display
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-04-06 00:04:00 (-04:00)

8 Likes

Isn’t this feature in beta still? I honestly haven’t heard of them announcing this feature yet. I went into studio and still doesn’t work at all.

Did you enable any flag or something to use it? In the meantime, since I believe is still under development, I think you should use the SelectionBox instead though is not what you really want.

3 Likes

Yeah there is a fflag for this to enable the highlights but it got disabled tho so it won’t work

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the report! This feature is unreleased for not but we are aware of the bug and you can follow up when the feature releases! Thanks!

7 Likes

Is there any rough time frame for when it’ll release?

3 Likes

Possibly very soon by the looks of this response: What is the highlight instance and how would I use it? - #15 by Aliasbinman2

1 Like

How did you make it so the highlight still works even with the transparency not being 0
https://gyazo.com/01669c129b2067bfe7fc53b698582c76.mp4
The highlight only works when the transparency is 0

1 Like

I think the feature is still unreleased. You probably used roblox studio mod manager.

1 Like

no, i have it too

no fflags were modified nor studio settings

2 Likes

So it got released? No long ago it wasn’t working for me, now is working…

I wonder if this is going to get announced.

1 Like

It’s released for client, but more than likely it’ll be flagged off if there’s still bugs with it.

2 Likes

@gigagiele You might want to look into this -

When a highlight is in a model, if a secondary highlight is placed in that same model, then even if the secondary highlight has transparency set to 1 and is disabled, it will still occlude the first highlight.

2 Likes

My script sets the parent of the highlight to the part the user is hoving over, but the previous part stays highlighted if the parent of the highlight isn’t set to nil before it’s being set to another part.

So to move over the highlight without having the other part keeping its highlight, you have to first set its parent to nil before setting its parent to another parent.

Edit: I hope this is helpful, for myself it was very helpful once I figured this out.

4 Likes

Thanks - although we shouldn’t have to do that - this is a change in behaviour in the last couple of days. It should be reverted back to the way it was. :frowning:

1 Like

This was not ready for release it is broken as hell.

2 Likes

I found a couple of posts claiming that this bug was fixed. I am still seeing issues in Studio at least as of today.

I used the parent to nil and reparent workaround.

1 Like

Gonna bump this again because this is still ongoing

2 Likes

Bumping this post with some footage of highlight bugs:

When the children of a model, with a highlight, are reparented they remain highlighted.

Same bug applies to the new selection tool.

Destroying the highlight of a model causes the highlight to linger.

Same applies when the adornee is set to nil, and/or destroyed.

The effect of the Adornee property is lost when the highlight is reparented to another instance of the Model class.

There also seems to be some sort of entangling between highlights that causes them to all share the same properties when they shouldn’t, but this is difficult to replicate so there’s no footage for this.

I’ve managed to catch the entanglement bug, but it happens randomly and unpredictably.

As you can see in the video though, both highlight instances have a green outline despite only one of them having that property.

Still an issue. Appears to only be something that happens in studio editing but it’s still annoying regardless.

Somehow I have stacked highlights???

Parenting it to PlayerGui and adorning it to the parts have the same issue of it applying to too many parts…

@gigagiele @thirdtakeonit is there any update on this??