What is the highlight instance and how would I use it?

I know this is an older post and you may have found your answer, but I will give you an answer anyways.

The highlight simply gives models an outline, so if put into a player character it would create this outline around their character like what you see in cartoons. People create this effect already with I believe using back face culling in Blender. There is a video somewhere showing it in action but I cannot remember where.

it is released!
i could insert it to the workspace!

HengryThe_Legendary does it work?

the highlight instance exist but i dont know how it works
i checked the properties it was adornee and other things

it was released a long time ago. but we cant use it yet. its real use isn’t released yet

This is a feature used to highlight objects in the world so they are more easily visible and also visible through walls and so on.
The feature is currently disabled as it was causing some crashes on some mobile devices. The root cause has been identified and the feature will be turned back on later this week.

16 Likes

this week has passed is it enabled yet?

If this truly is about to be enabled, its a game changer for my experience. Ive been looking forward to it for months!

3 Likes

Calm down bud. They update every Wednesday, so barring any unexpected issues I expect that it will be enabled with tomorrow’s update.

3 Likes

bro i just asked a general question why do you think i am being rude?

I don’t. I just find it unnecessary to follow up when they’ve already explained what they can. When they do release it, they will have a topic in the #updates category and (most likely) a comment in the #updates:release-notes category as well.

I know this feature is unreleased and close to shipping if all goes according to plan, but I wanted to get a quick feature request on it.

Currently the modes it plans on supporting are “AlwaysOnTop” and “Occluded” but I’d love to see some kind of “ReverseOccluded” if it isn’t too difficult to add. Basically just ONLY showing the occluded parts of the highlight. I think this is very useful for cases of highlighting objects that are obscured, and making it visually clear they are obscured as the instance itself won’t be tinted by the highlight if you have full vision on it.

Similiar to Dead by Daylight’s feature of “Auras” in which objects are highlighted a solid color but ONLY the parts that are not directly visible.

Either way I’m very excited for this feature and looking forward to news soon!

6 Likes

:slight_smile: I will just assume an error occurred with the Highlight feature again and they didn’t release it. Roblox studio just updated for me and Highlight feature is still the same, doesn’t work.

I hope it gets enabled around next week, at least in the month of May…

2 Likes

Any news ? I’ve been excited to use this feature for a while now! Got a whole update planned just for that one feature :smiley:

2 Likes

Lol same here, a highlighting feature just makes that big of a difference. :slight_smile:

Wondering if there’s any news cause it’s been 3 weeks since any.

It seems to have been enabled now. Works normally in Studio and in-game.

9 Likes

I’ve been checking every few days but I forgot to re-enable it in properties. :man_facepalming: Oops.

1 Like

I can’t believe this has been enabled but no announcement!

One thing I’m gutted about is that it currently doesn’t work with parts that have a surface appearance with transparency - which eliminates a lot of uses in my current project.

4 Likes

Very exciting! This feature would be super useful for me but then the size doesn’t have any depth… which totally ruins the style im going for

Highlight outline:

Animation2131232112312

(see how the outline stays the same size regardless of how far away I am from the object)

Mesh outline:

Animation21312321

(outline that is made using Blenders Solidify modifier)

is it possible to make the highlight outline have depth like the mesh outline? if so that would really help!

1 Like

Yeah I agree, I feel like the customization of Highlights are a little lackluster right now, and I feel like there could be a lot more options like what you suggested. Also, I like your TPOT build. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes