How can I improve my door model?

Hello,

I’m relatively new to building - I’ve always sucked at building and modelling and the like, but I decided to take matters into my own hands, and I’m working on creating my passion project. I’d like some feedback on one of my first ever proper builds for it - a padded cell. Note that this is potentially the place where the player will enter when they are teleported out of the Lobby.

In particular, how can I make the door stand out more? Should I scale it in a certain direction? A door handle? Different colours (please specify what sort of colours)?

Also, is there anything else I can do to the actual room itself? I’m using ShadowMap for the lighting, and I don’t really know enough about building to know if the room looks good or not.

I’m quite new to this so please give harsh but constructive criticism. I’m relatively proud of it for a first go, but do be aware that I did use a speedbuild for referencing.

5 Likes

So the White part with a window is a door? If so, it looks like an impossible to reach doggy door. Make it taller.

2 Likes

The door is that part and the 4 squares underneath it. Should I just remove those 4 squares? Here is what it looks like with those 4 squares removed and a bit of furnishing:
But now, how do I fill in that empty white space? What can I change?

2 Likes

Maybe a line around the window, a doorknob, and hinges.

2 Likes

That was a great change, I really like the design of it now! Any other changes?

I feel like colourwise it could do a bit better - any suggestions?

5 Likes

I feel that the colors of the outline are too dark for the door itself. I’d recommend lightening the outline or darkening the door, which I feel would be better to darken the door so sticks out and does not match the wall color so much (more specifically instead of using brick colors that Roblox provides, use the color3 value and slide the brightness slider down on the side).

3 Likes

I reccomend making the hinges a little smaller, apart from that, I think it looks pretty good.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! These changes look really nice!

@Troohook is this the sort of size for hinges you were looking for?
Also, is this good size for a door? My character’s height is unbelievably small, but here’s a dummy that I used when I made the door model itself. I feel like the height might be too much. On the other hand, it does make the door seem tall and daunting.

3 Likes

The door is looking way better now, but do try to scale it down a tiny bit. Apart from that, I think that its really good! Keep up the work! :wink:

2 Likes

I think you should add some sort of padding back to the door. Now patients can hurt themselves on the door, making all the other padding useless…

2 Likes

It’s for a horror game, and I don’t think most players would worry too much about this. I’m quite reluctant to add back padding to this because it might blend back in with the walls.
@Troohook , thank you so much for the feedback, here’s the scaled down door (it looks like the dummy doesn’t fit, but thats only because of perspective. It fits through the door perfectly well head on):

I’d like to thank everyone who has helped with this a lot, your motivational support is very helpful for this solo developer game.

1 Like

it looks like the door/building was built with a relatively inconsistent stud increment, I recommend going to the “Model” tab, checking the move box (if it hasn’t been checked already) and restarting the build so that certain elements remain the same size. I can see that the door has certain areas where the parts you used stick out. Still a good starting build nonetheless, but stud increments will make your future building much easier.

1 Like

I can’t really be bothered to restart the whole door because it took a fairly long time and for one of my first attempts I am relatively proud. But I will bear in mind your advice for future builds, I’m sure it’ll be useful!

Alright! keep building, I can already tell you will become a great builder!

1 Like

Honestly, no problem bro, just here to help lol.