How can I use my own Copyrighted Music in my own game?

Hey there!

I’ve been working alongside my team on uploading my music which I will use in my game to Spotify, Apple Music and other Music platforms to make them available to all but being copyrighted at the same time.

What I want to do is import these songs in my game as they are the soundtracks for it, but for the songs to remain copyrighted to refrain people from stealing the music.

When you upload copyrighted music, if you aren’t familiar with Roblox’s recent changes to audio, it gets removed almost instantly.

Is there some way to show them I own the rights to the song?

Thanks!

Alem

8 Likes

Generally don’t use anything that does not belong to you. So the answer is no you cannot and shouldn’t use any copyrighted music in your experience.

If the music belongs to you you still cannot do anything else than appeal the moderation attaching something that proves your ownership.

You may choose from existing music on the platform e.g. Clippsly: Free Public Music for Your Roblox Games!

3 Likes

They literally said they own it, lol

16 Likes

Could you read what i said next just after that?

Yeah, I did, it just didn’t seem like you actually read it xD

9 Likes

he wants to add his own music, which he has created. He doesn’t want to use free music from roblox. He just needs to prove that he owns the copyright to his music.

4 Likes

Exacly he just need to prove it for that best contact the email people usually use for dmca.

I think you can just upload it. I don’t think there’s any issues with using it as long as you own the rights to the song.

thing is, roblox doesn’t know that when you upload it, and therefore could give him a copyright strike, when in reality he owns the rights to the song.

4 Likes

imagine getting copyright striked by yourself

16 Likes

Thats why you should email copyright agent email and provide confirmation of ownership.

2 Likes

someone in this thread said contact moderation like it’s possible to get a human response anymore
I found that funny :slight_smile:

9 Likes

That’s what I’ve been doing since yesterday, for the sake of it here are the responses I got;

*Hi Alem,

Thank you for contacting Customer Support regarding using copyrighted music on Roblox.

Users are able to include Licensed Music that is available through Studio in their Experiences. Check out our help article for more information on how to use Licensed Music on Roblox.

Sincerely,

(I removed the name)
Customer Support*

Second email:

• Hello Alem,

Thank you for your response.

At Roblox, we use automated systems that flag content uploaded to our service that may contain copyrighted content owned by someone else, for example, another artist or record label. To assist us in this effort, we employ a service provided by Audible Magic, which is an expert in this field.

Audible Magic’s service involves a digital fingerprinting technology that is used to scan a video, audio file, Experience, or other such user-generated content (UGC) to detect if music tracks owned by a band, singer, or songwriter (or controlled by their respective music label or publisher) have been added to such UGC. It compares the audio of each UGC uploaded to Roblox against a registry of tracks Audible Magic maintains.

If a match is detected, the upload is stopped, and the user is notified. Because of the way that Audible Magic’s system works, music may be flagged where it includes or is substantially similar to segments of other copyrighted works. If you believe Audible Magic flagged your music in error, please contact Audible Magic to see about having your music cleared for passage through the filters. For additional details, please visit the Audible Magic website at Why is content blocked when I didn’t register it with Audible Magic? help article.

Otherwise, if you want to add music to your UGC, please ensure you have the proper rights or licenses to do so before uploading that UGC. In addition to public domain music, there are many sources found online with music you can use with your UGC, including music Roblox makes available to developers. For more information about such music, please review our Developer Forum at Upcoming Music Changes and Copyright Related Action.

This communication does not constitute legal advice and if you have questions of a legal nature, you should consult with your attorney.

Sincerely,

(Hid name)
Customer Support*

What proves that this is 100% automated is how one of the links here doesn’t even work :joy:

1 Like

Working link

Summary: if you’re working through a label, they may register your content through Audible Magic - if blocked you will need to contact them.

If you’re distributing your music independently, and have not registered through Audible Magic, your music will not be blocked.

If your music is blocked in error, you can contact Audible Magic directly.

2 Likes

If you keep emailing back and forth you will eventually get a non-pre-written reply back, it can just take a few tries to get there sometimes which can be frustrating.

2 Likes

This is incorrect as per Roblox customer service, you must contact Audible Magic (the third-party service that checks music copyright) if your music is blocked in error.

2 Likes

they don’t need a human reply, the default message gave them the answer

If you believe Audible Magic flagged your music in error, please contact Audible Magic to see about having your music cleared for passage through the filters.

2 Likes

Yeah, just clicked the link and it appears that you can have the system not block your music on certain platforms. It’s a nifty feature but the default template definitely could be more detailed about it.

2 Likes

Problem is it’s not an error, I don’t want other people to be able to use my music in their game. I just want them to whitelist it in my games, if that makes sense.

1 Like