How many voxels can roblox handle?

I am currently developing an open world game made with terrain and I estimated that it will have around 20 billion voxels. Is this too much or ok? (I have a high end pc)

2 Likes

That’s probably a lot unless you really plan on using a lot of StreamingEnabled and a lot of other performance saving tools… And even then that’s just a lot to develop with as well - like do you intend to fill in all that room with assets? Do you have a team of like 100 environment artists? Do you ever intend on releasing the game in the next 10 years? A big map takes a long time to fill up :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

No idea how big 20 Billion voxels is in terms of studs but the limit, which has been stated numerous amounts of times in countless threads already on the forum, is16384x16384x16384 studs. This is based off what you can generate with the smooth terrain generator and is likely the number chosen for one logical reason or another.

its a project I will be working for the next couple of years

Created a 10B voxel water cube: 10B VOXELS - Roblox (warning: LAG, LOTS OF LAG)

1 Like

ill make sure not to play that. my computer will crash again.

Considering it took me 30+ seconds to load into the place, and was unplayably slow when I did load in, even with my very high end PC, that probably answers your question :stuck_out_tongue:

I got 6 FPS on lowest graphics settings, which is the standard of video game framerate these days, so you should be good! :+1:

6 Likes

I’m on a low-end gaming PC and had pretty much no noticeable lag. It did take a minute or so to load though.

But making a map with 20 BILLION voxels + entire environments is a recipe for disaster already.

You’ll need to code some kind of a chunk system, as well as a custom compressed save format. Roblox can definitely handle an equivalent of 8 chunk render distance in minecraft, though it heavily depends on what the individual voxels will contain.

One way I can think of for you to overcome the data store limit is by storing groups of chunks under different keys. This will make sure you have enough room to store even the most complex builds, while the compression will make sure that fetch times remain reasonable.

2 Likes

I have a high end mac, and when voxels get to the millions my PC tends to get laggy even when I have my rendering level at 1. Unless your PC is made for huge games; I think you need to think of something else.

A decently optimized game shouldn’t even hit a thousandth of that (10 million voxels) so unless every single part is a mesh part with 10k+ polygons, then I think you’ll be fine.

I will split up the place into different places. (limit of 900M voxels per place)

I did the sea level thing for about 20 minutes before it started dropping to 10 fps

1 Like

Will around 20 ish million voxels with completely mesh builds be optimized especially after i optimize them in blender?

Might i ask how this game is going or?