How much of a difference does StreamingEnabled make?

My group’s game, World War Tycoon,, is a game that I think is fun and well-made.

However, it has been struggling with performance issues for a while now. Nothing completely major, besides a client memory usage of 2000-3000MB, and a server memory usage that hovers around 3000-5000MB. The game’s compute efficiency hovers around 40-60% (baseline/ideal is 100%).

The worst is, however, there happens to be an occurrence that happens after the server has been up for a long time, where it will disconnect everyone in the server under the guise of you need to check your internet connection (similar to the attached image)

I fear that this stifles the game’s CCUs from climbing, lowers average playtime, and reduces retention.

I’ve made articles on these issues before, like this one below:
How do I diagnose poor memory client usage + poor compute efficiency? - Help and Feedback / Game Design Support - Developer Forum | Roblox

One of the biggest things taking up memory, as seen in the above post, is physics parts, and general instances. My game is pretty large, the map is somewhere around 4700x7200 studs, and is almost all terrain, with significant water to it (see below)

The game does not use StreamingEnabled. I have been hesitant to turn it on, since a few features in the game would need to be heavily edited due to it being enabled, however, I think it is probably necessary to turn it on, to improve performance.

Has anyone been in a similar situation to me, turned on StreamingEnabled, and was it useful? Did it improve client memory usage, compute efficiency, etc.? Should I turn it on for my game?

1 Like