How to animate Tool Parts (Guns, Knifes etc.)

This tutorial helped me tremendously! For me there’s just one problem.

What the animation should look like:

What it looks like in game:
Screenshot 2024-06-14 at 5.58.55 PM

It seems like the BodyAttach part somehow got flipped upside down somehow even though I never changed the rotation of it through script.

The code on the server:

(Keep in mind that I am not using a tool in my scenario so the code will look slightly different.)

The code in my LocalScript:

If someone could offer me a potential solution that would be great!

1 Like

@GIEGO04 @IceCreamPickels

Why is this just the animation AGAIN instead of “connecting the Motor6D locally” section?

Mess around with the C0 rotation in the ToolGrip, and copy it, then apply it to the actual Motor6D in a script

(Adding rotation is very DIFFERENT for attachments like this, you cant just do C0.Rotation, you have to do something I forgot but search it up and it’ll be simple)

I forgot I posted on here but I just figured out a solution, apparently I must’ve rotated the sword on the animating dummy on accident before I started animating which screwed up how the animation looked in game. Thanks for the help though, appreciate it!

This is what happened to me, and changing the grips rotation was my solution. I have a question though, are you not supposed to rotate the object…? What are you supposed to do after attaching the Motor6D to the animation dummy?

You use CFrames and instead of CFrames.Angles(), you use CFRams.FromEulerYXZAngles()
or some order like that

I have this issue where the animation loads in the animator preview, but following all the steps and running the animation in the script, the parts of the weapon does not actually change but only the character moves, any solutions?

Remove RequiresHandle and if that’s already off, maybe there is a weld ex:) RightGrip that is keeping your object from moving

Thanks for this, I’ll definitely try this out

my tool disappears after a few seconds when i hold it
i dont know why

might be falling through the part of the world that deletes loose parts when it falls that far, perhaps you are having a welding issue?

For anyone having problems with r15, I had this problem where the animation would work perfectly in the editor but the parts wouldn’t move. To fix this I added this to the server script:

local M6D = Instance.new("Motor6D", char.RightHand) -- or the part that you have decieded
M6D.Name = "ToolGrip"
M6D.Part0 = char.RightHand
char.ChildAdded:Connect(function(child)
	if child:IsA("Tool") and child:FindFirstChild("BodyAttach") then
		M6D.Part1 = child.BodyAttach
	end
end)

-- This is a weld that brings together the part and the hand. Just disable it!
char.RightHand:WaitForChild("RightGrip").Enabled = false

NOTICE: I also found out that renaming the handle to something else fixes it too. oops

1 Like

Great tutorial! Though I was wondering if you know how to import this to blender? Thanks in advance!

This Blender addon / Roblox plugin, especially Cautioned’s fork if you’re using Blender 4.0

1 Like

Alright, I’ll check it out. thanks!

Have this problem still. I’m animating a glock-19 to fire. The gun rack is supposed to slide back and the hands fly back a bit to simulate the gun kicking back. The hands move but the gun rack stays still. The grip motor6d is in my right hand, I’ve moved it to the torso but that doesn’t fix it. The welds and motor6ds are all properly assigned. It works in the animation editor but not in practice. There’s no rightgrip that appears in my hand when the tool is equipped either. No parts are named handle in my gun.

Can you make a tutorial on the actual animating part? You’re animations look so smooth and professional.

1 Like

Awesome tutorial! I could achieve what I needed (unholster and holster animation, and gun holding animation)

How can I do a “safety mode”? Like, when you press a key, the character arms rotate a little down and you hold the gun pointing down, in safety mode. Thanks!

How can I make a first person view an aiming on a gun using this animation system?