How to animate Tool Parts (Guns, Knifes etc.)

Anyone know why my gun keeps appearing in the workspace??

3 Likes

make sure to weld the BodyAttach’s parent too

1 Like

Hey I followed this tutorial and my animation looks like this in game below. how can I fix it?

Where do I put the three scripts that are in the tutorial?

Hey :smiley:
Something weird is happening in the animation editor for me. I made sure to follow each step precisely.
First of all (idk how relvant this is), my dummy snaps to the weapon, not the other way around.
The main problem however is that neither the weapon nor the torso are movable. When I try to move either, the torso spins a lot. Also the grid below the dummy turns. This happens on R6 and R15 and I also played around with switching the Motor6D parts. The weapon-parts are unanchored and can‘t collide.
However the rest works find. Head, hands, legs etc. are movable.

Does anyone know what‘s going on?

1 Like

Thank you so much for this tutorial. Not only did this help for FPS creators, but other genres of Roblox and my project that I am working on specifically.

Is there any tutorial out there specifically for building a functioning gun off of this?

Thank you in advance

1 Like

Just make sure the different parts you want to animate are separate objects. If you don’t know how to use Blender yet, I really suggest you learn and I’m sure you’ll pick it up fast because it’s very intuitive. I was very rusty because I took a couple years break, and was able to come up with this weapon model after a long day of working. You can look at how I have the different parts set up:

Then I just rigged it using this tutorial that we are commenting on, which btw surely is the best tutorial there is on this topic! Very straight-forward and worked fantastically.

I then attempted to animate it in Roblox studio, which was a big mistake because the animation editor feels trash and if that’s not bad enough it crashed on me after I was almost done doing the reload animation. So out of frustration I decided to learn how to do it the proper way, using Blender.

I used the Blender rig exporter by Den_s plugin to export the rig into Blender. I set up a dope sheet panel, playback panel, graph editor panel and began animating. You can look up a tutorial for that, it’s actually surprisingly easy and animating felt much much better than doing it in Roblox. After a couple hours of animating I came up with this:

Which I admit looks pretty unnatural but I’m soon going to spend some time learning how to use the graph editor to give it some nice sway and motion.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions about the process feel free to ask me as I already spent a lot of time figuring everything out.

2 Likes

Lets say we named our handle “Body Attach”. The animation saves for “Body Attach” named part. So if I try to change the name of my handle to “BodyAttach” anim does not work. Do I need to remake the anim or is there a way to change the name and still keep my anim?

1 Like

When I run the game, the bow isn’t in players hand and the parts fall down. This is the Error from the server script:
"Players.smarties1920.Backpack.Tool.LocalScript:4: attempt to index nil with ‘ChildAdded’ "
Anyone knows how I can fix this?

In the animator, the key for BodyAttach is installed, but when starting the game, the weapon position is not the same as expected. I didn’t find any information about this in the guide. Should I use Tool Grip Editor to adjust the position?

Moon Animator:
RobloxStudioBeta_OAAHRwg7xT

Game:
RobloxStudioBeta_12MEV3AJWH

UPD: The problem was with RightGrip, which is created automatically even though RequiresHandle is unchecked.
изображение

1 Like

if you guys wanna animate using torso using blender use the “child of” constraint
and since the constraint can get a bit iffy sometimes use this video to help make things aligned

and lastly don’t forget to bake the animation

export it as fbx and import it to roblox

Hello everybody! I saw a lot of comments saying that the script to make the gun go to the players torso isnt working. Here is an updated script I made!

script.Parent.Equipped:Connect(function()
	local plr = game.Players.LocalPlayer
	local char = plr.Character or plr.CharacterAdded:Wait()

local motor6d = Instance.new("Motor6D")
	motor6d.Parent = char:WaitForChild("Torso")
	motor6d.Name = "ToolAttach"

motor6d.Part0 = char:WaitForChild("Torso")
	motor6d.Part1 = script.Parent:WaitForChild("BodyAttach")
	script.Parent.Unequipped:Connect(function()
		motor6d:Destroy()
	end)
end)

Hope this helps!

Name your bodyAttach to “Body Attach”. Everything should work fine

i can help you with that.

script.Parent.Equipped:Connect(function()
	local plr = game.Players.LocalPlayer
	local char = plr.Character or plr.CharacterAdded:Wait()

local motor6d = Instance.new("Motor6D")
	motor6d.Parent = char:WaitForChild("Torso")
	motor6d.Name = "ToolAttach"

motor6d.Part0 = char:WaitForChild("Torso")
	motor6d.Part1 = script.Parent:WaitForChild("BodyAttach")

script.Parent.Unequipped:Connect(function()
		motor6d:Destroy()
	end)
end)
2 Likes

Currently having this issue, idle animation is made inside blender and the Motor6D is connectedto the torso but in blender it is connected to the Right Arm but if i change from torso to right arm the gun go into the middle of the arm and not where it is positioned inside blender

If anyone has a problem where their gun in unattached to the player, try editing the server script so that it ALSO connects the torso as Part0

1 Like

Can this even work for FE Gun Kit? I don’t know if it can be able to play the animation even if there is no Handle, or the main animated block(the one that animates all of the parts).

Almost all FPS games don’t actually spawn a new magazine
They just make the “old” one fall out of view and teleport it into the player’s hand where they then just slap the same magazine into the gun

I have the same problem
I’m using R15 (of course) and my knife isn’t swinging around the thumb like in the animation editor
When I play the game I get no errors and the animation plays on the character but the knife doesn’t swing around

EDIT: I fixed it by removing the RightGrip Weld from the RightHand whenever you equip the tool so that the tool is free to play the animations instead of being welded
If you want to watch

Awesome resource, question though, how would you make it so 3rd person animations made using this method, can translate to a first person viewmodel? Essentially I want to be able to use the exact same 3rd person anims, without having to recreate them for first person viewmodel. Currently I can’t figure out how to replicate the player’s arms perfectly.