How to avoid double tax ( and save R$ in the long term )

Greetings, fellow developers. What I’m about to present to you today, is a way to avoid the brunt of Roblox taxes in the short term, and save those precious robuckaroos (or “bobux”, as I hear they’re called these days) in the long term.
“How does this relate to development?”, you may be wondering. Well, as I’m sure most of you are aware, there are two main methods to transferring robux on the platform when doing commissions or selling assets:

1: Direct payout to the developer through group funds.

2: Indirect payout through t-shirt or similar to the developer, with a 30% tax and a 3 day pend period.

So, not directly related, but close enough. (I hope, it took me a while to write this.) Much of the time, clients pay developers through this second method. That’s all fine and good, but consider this example:

Builderman completes a building commision for John Doe. John does not have any funds in his group, so he elects to pay Builderman through t-shirt. John pays 10k robux through t-shirt to Builderman, and Builderman receives 7k, after tax.
A few weeks later, Builderman wants a stunning new profile picture of himself. :coefficients: He notices Jane Doe does drawing commissions, and commissions her to draw him a profile picture. He does not have a group, so decides to pay her through t-shirt. He pays 7k robux to Jane Doe through t-shirt, and Jane Doe receives 4.9k, after tax.

Notice the problem here? John Doe’s 10k robux turned into Jane Doe’s 4.9k robux. “But how can this be avoided?” you may be asking yourself, now thoroughly intrigued. In short, groups. In long, well, that’s what you came here for.

Now, I’ll give the same example, but altered slightly.
John Doe commissions Builderman for 10k robux. Builderman has a group he uses to store funds (we’ll talk about that more later), and creates a t-shirt within that group for John Doe to buy. John Doe pays 10k, Builderman’s group gets 7k, after tax.

A few weeks later, Builderman commissions Jane Doe for a PFP. This time though, Builderman has some funds in his group. He does a one-time payout of 7k R$ to Jane Doe, and Jane Doe immediately gets 7k R$, free of tax, with no pending wait time.

Now I can just picture all your faces, something like this? :shock: No? Ah, well then. Moral of the story? Create a group to store your funds from commissions, then pay others with those funds. You don’t even have to cover tax (which you should be doing if you’re paying through t-shirt or something similar)!

Of course, there’s a slight drawback. If everyone made “fund groups” for themselves, no one would want to be payed through group funds, because they can’t directly transfer those into the group. Of course, it’s still nice to have some robux on hand anyway, so it’s not a huge drawback.

All in all, I do hope you learned something here. Thanks for reading all the way through, (unless you didn’t, then thanks at least for clicking the heart below so more people can see this :wink:) and I hope you all have a great day. :happy3:

57 Likes

Amazing tutorial. I mean let’s say John pays through TShirt to Builderman and covers tax then that’s 7k in group funds and then pays Jane Doe 4.9k Robux and in the end saves 2.1k Robux plus on top of that it did cost 100 Robux to create the group so: 2100 Minus 100 Robux is 2000 Robux so in the very end he saves 2k Robux, enough to buy himself the VIP Pass in Jailbreak and Work at a Pizza Place.

5 Likes

I really thought that was going to be a way of bypassing the tax, glad it wasn’t.

Good tutorial tho!

2 Likes

Thanks a ton! That’s another way I could’ve used the example, I’m sure Builderman would like a VIP pass at WaaPP, - huh, that’s a funny acronym- considering how happy he looks to be able to eat his pizza here. Screenshot (461)

5 Likes

Some people pay other people in limiteds. Not super common but no tax is taken in the transaction of giving.

2 Likes

Good point, but like you said, not too common. Could also pose more risks of scamming if the client tries to give the developer a projected item or something, and some people without premium can’t trade, so payouts through group funds would make a bit more sense.

Adding on to @meteor0id, if the person wants to DevEx the robux they earnt, they would not be able to do that if they are paid in limiteds. Further more, even if they do not want to DevEx their robux, they would need to pay another 30% tax selling their limiteds.

1 Like

now i wont lose my 7 bobux

@TwyPlasma I’m pretty sure you can DevEx robux earned from limiteds. Of course you will still lose 30% of your Robux if you sell it for DevExing, so it doesn’t have many pro’s.

1 Like

No, it is stated you cannot DevEx robux made by selling hats and limiteds

1 Like

I was TOTALLY glad it wasnt cough cough. Jokes aside I am happy it wasnt to.

2 Likes

No. You can’t. I don’t know exactly when did the DevEx got updated (most likely 2 or 3 years ago), but you can only make a DevEx for stuff you created:

You should consider reading this for more information: Rules for DevEx

2 Likes

Important: If your account is moderated for some reason related to commissions and you have funds stored in a group you use for commissions, from what I can tell, there’s a good chance the group will be locked and you’ll be unable to access the funds. You should be able to appeal this, but just a fair warning to everyone.

Wow that is a long topic!

So I have one complaint with your method; I’ve heard that group funds can be corrupted, meaning they can be obtained through various hacking/scamming methods. And if someone were payed through group funds, thus bypassing the 30% tax, wouldn’t their “bobux” eventually be taken away from the commissioned user due to inappropriate methods of obtaining said bobux?

This is a well-typed and informing post! Excellent examples!

I’ll have to take into consideration of what @meteor0id said but I appreciate this post be shed to light. Often, many developers don’t think too much about how to save robux from taxes.

1 Like