How to change a sound's RollOffMode

I have a script that plays sounds on the server, and previously all my sounds were set to Inverse since it was the default. Over time, I’ve gotten tired of audios cutting off abruptly once you exit their MaxDistance. To combat this, I’ve tried setting sounds to either InverseTapered or Linear, but the behavior remains the same. (Yes, the sounds are in attachments and parts so they’re spatial)

Isn’t Linear supposed to do what the name suggests to the volume to distance ratio?

Edit:

Here’s the audio’s settings:

Here are the results:

It does, but if you reach RollOffMaxDistance the sound will not be heard.

1 Like

Yeah but it’s cutting off, it’s supposed to fade out as I slowly zoom my camera farther away from the sound but in 0.1 studs under the MaxDistance the sound is loud, then 0.1 studs over it it’s suddenly quiet.

1 Like

That is weird, is your emitter size bigger than your MaxDistance? That’s the only thing I can think of that would cause this. Unless its a glitch/bug.

1 Like

EmitterSize is a feature of the old Sound system. These are my configurations currently:

Screenshot 2024-04-25 082946

1 Like

Hmm, seems like a glitch but I would say your distance is too short. Make the max up to a few hundred studs, maybe there isn’t enough space to allow gradual volume reduction.

I use thousands in my game.

1 Like

The world in my game is sized 2048 in every direction. It’s pretty small. Outside the world is galaxy, and there’s no sound in space so this isn’t an option. Plus, one of the sounds is machinery running which realistically wouldn’t reach very far out from the source.

1 Like

If the RollOffDistance is too small or about as big as the Minimum, it will simply cut out when you move your camera too far. (Sound is based on where your camera is, not the Player in 3D spaces)

Roblox added Linear and LinearSquared to the RollOffModes, which work of RollOffs, so you can probably try that.

1 Like
1 Like

Not sure if it matters or not, but is the sound played on client or server?
I remember with the old system, if you played sounds on client it would be lacking certain things, such as a Doppler effect.

1 Like

Did you try anyway, to double or triple the distance and see if the sound fades as you expect? (or if it just cuts abruptly at the new distance)

1 Like

Server; some of the sounds don’t even interact with scripts at all. Like one sound that’s just looped

1 Like

Correct, but EmitterSize was replaced with RollOffMode, which is what they all use now.

1 Like

I was trying to draw your attention to the latter half of the message, where I showed a screenshot

1 Like

I’ll try this, but I really hope it isn’t the problem

1 Like

You’re not using volumetric sounds or sound zone parts are you?

1 Like

Just disabled Volumetric Audio and it didn’t resolve the issue, and no, none of the audios use zone part code

1 Like

Increased the RollOffMaxDistance to 6200 and the same thing happens

1 Like

Well, the bug occured with a pretty big size for me. When you tried replicating the problem, did you experience the cutoff?

1 Like

With your original Roll Off amount:
Inverse would just cut off after moving the camera not that far away.
InverseTapered seemed to “fix” the problem, but the Roll Off is much more agrresive due to the size, so it would cut off right when it would start fading.

Linear would slowly fade before cutting off.
LinearSquare fades out faster.

With a bigger Roll Off, the audio just remains the same for a long distance, so if you are saying that it cut off at a shorter distance, then no.

But also, show video of this happening, because its pretty hard trying to help with something that we dont really know whats going on.

2 Likes