How to detect the gender of the player?

I want to add a custom character to my game, however there is one roadblock. I want both a male and female character, but I don’t know how to detect the gender of the player.

11 Likes

You could ask the players their gender

9 Likes

Gender is PII, instead ask players what gender they want for their character instead. It might also be a good idea to account for non-binary folks.

@GodpraiserNOW asking for PII is against the rules, so asking the gender for the character would be better.

16 Likes

Gender is not PII, it’s personal information, not information that can be used to directly (or indirectly) identify a person. It’s still not allowed to ask a player’s personal information, but it’s important to differentiate the technical differences.

Feel free to read more here: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/why-is-age-classified-as-pii-on-roblox/653210/43

5 Likes

Either way it isn’t info that can be asked for

4 Likes

If you look at my response to that post, you’d see that according to the US Department of Labor, the jurisdiction that Roblox falls under, gender, when combined with other info, can be considered indirect PII.

Edit: So this doesn’t get too off-topic, as someone mentioned in another post, make sure that you label it as a character gender, otherwise it could be misinterpreted as asking for their actual gender.

This is because of one of the safety programs that Roblox uses, which prohibits kids from giving out personal information. So, regardless of the legal definition, it isn’t allowed whatsoever. CC: @1TheNoobestNoob.

2 Likes

Gender as the sole data may not be sufficient to identify a user. In your post it also states that the data needs to be combined in order to become potentially PII (which is also PII). For example, city, age and gender can be used to identify an individual. However, the context of everything matters. If the city has 100 people in it, you’d definitely call it PII, while if it has millions of people in it, it would not.

You’re going to have a very hard time where the only data you have is a user’s gender and you want to find them in the real world, it’s actually not possible unless you have extra data to verify.

Edit: in regards of your edit, I understand that, but I think it’s important to identify the technical differences still. It’s not allowed to ask for personal information, but, there is a difference between PII and personal information, which is why I commented to spread awareness.

2 Likes

Ask them what gender they would like to choose when the player joins.
They might not choose their real gender, but it’s the only thing that is allowed as forcing them to tell you is against the rules.

2 Likes