How to DMCA take-down clothing that was stolen from you

If you have had your original copyrighted clothing stolen and your reports don’t seem to do anything, filing a DMCA request is very simple and doesn’t take that much time! You can file a DMCA through roblox.com/support under “DMCA” and “Owner DMCA Claim” (And select the platform you are on too) Or you used to be able to email copyright_agent@roblox.com directly.(I am not a lawyer so if anything is wrong, my apologies and be warned. For any questions you can visit copyright.gov and this is for USA laws)

Before we start you must make sure that you own the copyright to your work!

1. It must be independently created
  2. It must be at least minimally creative (the bar for creativity is very low)
  3. It must be fixed in a tangible medium (did you upload the clothing to Roblox? If yes then this works)

As long as your clothing/graphical artwork meets these criteria, then it is automatically protected by copyright law! :partying_face: You do NOT need to register your work with the copyright office! Although if you want to you could, but this would have to be done as soon as you made the clothing piece.

Next step is to wait for Roblox’s support response, which will look something like this

Hello,

Roblox respects the IP rights of others and follows the processes established by the DMCA.

Please make sure your request includes all of the following information:

• Your name, address, telephone and e-mail contact information
  • Identify the copyrighted work and/or trademark claimed to have been infringed
  • Identify the content on Roblox’s site that you claim infringes your intellectual property
  • A description of where the claimed infringing Content is located on our Site (Please provide URLs)
  • A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the intellectual property owner, its agent, or the law
  • A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your Notice is accurate and that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the intellectual property involved.

Once this has been received, your claim will be further reviewed and we will follow-up with you as soon as possible.

Sincerely, Roblox Staff Name

Basically you have to send link the items, tell them your name, and etc. This is the template I used down below so you can get the idea of what I said/did in order to get infringing content taken down.

I DO NOT suggest copying and pasting all of this as it was situational for me and I gave my “good faith belief” and that I was authorized to act on behalf of the owner (which was me, I was the owner), but like 99% of the template should probably work for you.

My name is [Your Full Name] and my Roblox username is [Your Username (Not display name) ]

[I don’t know if you need this singular paragraph below, but I included it in mine]
This is a notice in accordance with Section 512 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (”DMCA”) requesting that you immediately cease to provide access to the following copyrighted material. A website that your company hosts (according to WHOIS information) is infringing on copyrighted material owned by our company [Or Group/Yourself/Etc].

The original [Type of Clothing, Shirt or Pant etc] , of which we own the exclusive copyright, can be found at this URL:

— [Copy and Paste the full URL of YOUR item]

The unauthorized and infringing T-Shirt can be found at this URL

— [The STOLEN item’s full URL]

My contact information is:

[Your Full Address with State and Country Information]
[Your Full Name]
[Your Email Address]
[Your Phone Number]

[HERE PUT YOUR GOOD FAITH BELIEF]

[HERE PUT YOUR STATEMENT MADE UNDER PENALTY OF PERJURY]

Should you wish to discuss this further, please contact me directly.

Signed: [Your Full Name]
[Full Name]
[Fill in Today’s Date]

I was very confused when asked for “Good Faith” and the “Statement” so here is an example you can read to understand what Roblox means when they say that.

Good Faith Belief EXAMPLE

• I have good faith belief that the use of the described material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or by operation of law. The information in this notice is accurate, up to date, and I can confirm that [Either your name, your group’s name] is the copyright owner.

Statement EXAMPLE

• This is my statement, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in my notice is accurate and that I am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the intellectual property involved.

YOU HAVE TO READ THE WHOLE THING AND MAKE SURE YOU AGREE WITH IT ALL (Especially with the “Good Faith” and statement from you under penalty of perjury)!!! Just change the stuff in the [Brackets] to what suits you best! This format should also greatly benefit the Roblox staff team if these formats are in easy to read/process manners (I hope).

I don’t know if you really need 100% of what I put in the template, but it works given you own the clothing and it’s obvious they stole it/violates the law.

Please be respectful to Roblox staff members and don’t go DMCA random people as it’s illegal. I will edit this if anything is wrong, so please let me know!

For content deleted artwork: If your clothing is taken down by roblox and someone reuploads it, you won’t be able to request a take down/DMCA. (Unless your item is restored or you have registered it officially)

48 Likes

If you edit this, it should also work for non-clothing stuff. Like games and stolen models! (I think)

5 Likes

Looks pretty good. Only thing that I believe is missing is a note that abusing the DMCA claims (striking down items that don’t belong to you) is against the law.

5 Likes

While this is true, there will be no form of punishment against the false claimer unless you file a counter claim (and currently there are no known guides on how to properly file a counter claim. I wish there were though, as I recently had Nike of all things falsely claim content that had no Nike or Nike owned brands on it, including my groups store tab of all things)

3 Likes

Don’t email Roblox support, that just slows down the response time. Send the DMCA takedown claim directly to copyright_agent@roblox.com.

This part is unnecessary. When they investigate your claim, they’ll look up the Roblox group and ownership of the original asset, to confirm you have the right to takedown.

Please use their current name, “Roblox”. [source]

Everything else seems fine, it’s a good contribution to let clothing designers & game developers combat against copies, as it unfortunately still happens too often :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

If you provide them with any extra information it helps their investigation into it, so this document is fine. And reports via roblox support is fine, just you can’t email them directly anymore as it is closed.

4 Likes

Their copyright agent is still available by email, I have tens of copyright claims handled through copyright_agent@roblox.com. It is quicker, because they don’t have to ask you for the format again and immediately lands into the right inbox.

Too much information is unnecessary and just causes clutter. From the perspective of the host, the essential information will be noted and all unnecessary information won’t be considered. Regardless if you say you’re the owner of a specific group, they’ll still look it up to verify.

5 Likes

There still should be a note for that imo. I’ve seen people abuse this as a way to get at people without knowing that there are laws and procedures that can land you in a world of trouble.

4 Likes

interesting. I used this email awhile ago and never got a response.

4 Likes

I didn’t know you could email copyright_agent@roblox.com I just thought you always had to go through Roblox Support and select the issue then wait for them to get back. Thank you for your feedback!

4 Likes

Not sure if this is new or not but when you do file a DMCA Takedown it not only removed their stolen item but also the item you’ve uploaded. I believe this didn’t use to be the case but now it is sadly.

2 Likes