How to Make a GFX Course: Part 2, Color Theory

If you haven’t checked out my first part of this course, I would highly recommend you to check it out.

Color is a very overlooked part of roblox GFX. You may be tempted to just start making GFX and rig your character, make your assets, pose it, etc. However, you need to use color to convey how the story will be told.
Thanks to @Operatik for writing this little excerpt
In a general case, each value on the hue sets a different tone on the story, allowing that to be emphasized. Red tones are very aggressive, deadly and dangerous. And there are many more descriptions that each color represents.

Saturation is important in some aspect of “age”. You can have hyper-saturated colors for a very, very childish palette that can be seen on children’s toys. Lesser saturated colors are usually mature and worn-out. Although it seems that they reflect joy and sorrow in this spectrum of colors, likewise the major and the minor chords. You can set the saturation based on what time it is set on, what audience is intended to view at it and the story behind it.

For the brightness, contrast or value, this aspect is typically related to bright vs. dark. Like in music, the lower frequencies are dark while the upper frequencies are bright. If you want your graphics to be very grim, dark and sinister, use a dark setting. Otherwise, bright setting. Contrast is important if you really want your image to be defined and dynamic, like the way we see motion (it’s all contrast-based).

This theory is applicable in all graphical work, from GFX/graphics designs to real-time renders in-game. It’s much like a fundament in contrast to music theory.

Now there are many ways to implement this. Usually people will just post process it in photoshop where you can adjust the colors. I do this too, but I like to do as little in photoshop, just to enhance the image rather than make almost your entire image in photoshop. Basically, if your image doesn’t look good without photoshop, you are doing something wrong. Your render will look way better if it looks good by itself then you enhance it in photoshop,
Basically it is kind of like mixing in music. You record it with a 700 dollar neumann mic, use your pro tools DAW, with $102938102938108 plugins. But if your vocals are crap, your song will sound crap regardless of how much you mix it.
Now, one thing I do is get my color scheme from color.adobe.com. But be careful not to be a slave to color palettes because it makes your workflow less efficient. Just try to be in the gist of the color pallete.
That is only the basics of color theory. Color theory is an entire profession some people dedicate their lives to. However, this is all you need to make some decent looking GFX.
If you disagree with anything or have any questions feel free to reply!

On a scale of 1-10, how useful was this guide?

0 voters

Thanks for reading :upside_down_face:

11 Likes

@R0bl0x10501050 @iiHyxtra
Guys sorry the link was broken now I think you can get the link correct.

1 Like

Hey guys the next tutorial is out. How to Make a GFX Course: Part 3, Choosing Your Software

I noticed that the rating was pretty low on this one so what do you guys think I can improve?