How To Make Realistic Terrain In roblox Studio

How To Make Realistic Terrain In roblox Studio

play the game in the image here: https://www.roblox.com/games/3713702422/forest

before we get started we need to install a few things

Before We Get Started

1. roblox avatar evolution. roblox avatar evolutions is a beta program of roblox studio which includes future ADDS example PBR/Physically based rendering. Physically based rendering ( PBR ) is an approach in computer graphics that seeks to render graphics in a way that more accurately models the flow of light in the real world. Many PBR pipelines have the accurate simulation of photorealism as their goal. Feasible and quick approximations of the bidirectional reflectance distribution function and rendering equation are of mathematical importance in this field. Photogrammetry may be used to help discover and encode accurate optical properties of materials. Shaders may be used to implement PBR principles. and a few more adds which is not importen for us in this tutorial,

Install Roblox Avatar Evolution.

choose the right build for Your OS

1. quixel megascans. Quixel megascans is made for UE4/UnRealEngine. Quixel is not made for Roblox Studio unrealengine is a realistic game engine im gonna use it in this tutorial bc it has free assets

taken form the quixel website. Thousands of 3D assets, tileable surfaces, vegetation, imperfections, atlases, decals and much more, from urban to natural, with hundreds of new assets scanned weekly. Get a head start with everything you need from day 1, and use your creativity where it matters most.

Getting Started

Sign In and go to the

PRODUCTSBROWSE MEGASCANS

click on all list – surface

when u found a Texture u want to use click on it and u will see a page like this

click on the download settings after thats done u sould see a page like this

this is a standart download settings page

1. do not use 8k as Resolution roblox don’t support so high images. choose 2k or max 4k in this tutorial i will choose 2K and i will choose Albedo and Normal and Roughness

Click the X and click the download button. place the files inside a folder so u easy can find them.

Now lets open up roblox avatar evolution make a new baseplat and add some terrain to it i will Skip a bit bc u should have a basic understanding of how to make a normal terrain if u don’t know how to do that then there is tutorials on youtube for that im not gonna show u it here

now let us make a basic terrian we can build on

now let us review our mesh pack BTW u can download it in the button of the tutorial.

we a more meshs but this is the most importen ones we are gonna use most

now let us import our PBR texture

right click on images to add assets

click open and ur done

now let os add the textures to the meshes

click on the SurfaceAppearance and place to textures u download to where the name is example normal would be placed in normalmap.

now we are done with that let start building.

Building The Map

im gonna copy and paste much so i don’t need 100 meshes i will keep it simple

Terrain Properties

make it step by step maybe use a real image or make a costorm one in your head like i did

i will skip a bit bc there is alot of copy and pasteing in this i hope u understand : )

now when u made anything lets add the lighing

and effects VFX first add a skybox

before skybox

with skybox on

Lighting

here is our main lighting

now let us add ColorCorrection

let add SunRays

and let us now add Bloom

image of our game with every lighing settings on

Particle Effects VFX

now lets add some particles to the game

Particle Properties

Done Game

use full links

1. download game: realistic map terrain tutorial.rbxl - Google Drive
  2. download model pack: model pack for tutorial - Roblox

read the tutorial on my blog: https://the-newscast.com/2020/05/06/how-to-make-realistic-terrain-in-roblox-studio/

follow me on twiiter for cool games i make link: https://twitter.com/alexxk51

134 Likes

This tutorial is awesome! While I’m not a terrain artist, I’ve always wondered how people manage to make such neat terrain showcases and this has definitely clarified the process a lot!

5 Likes

I do not think you are allowed to use the “free” Megascans outside of UE4.

The only assets you can use are in the free category, see the ‘Free’ tag.

If you have a paid subscription, then you are allowed to use the assets wherever. Be sure to read their TOS before using assets from them.

28 Likes

maybe i will have to add that to my tutorial thanks for the tip

1 Like

Where does the albedo texture go?

1 Like

to color map. this is where i place it

2 Likes

How do you open up the avatar evolution thing? Does it automatically put itself in studio?

3 Likes

UN ZIP it and find The file with The roblox studio icon and Open it

3 Likes

I’m confused, do you have to be subscribed to download and do you have to pay money to be subscribed?

Damn, that’s amazing work! Thanks for teaching us

1 Like

I’m defintley going to check this out later!

1 Like

no you can free download it. im not sure about the subscribe bc they didn’t clear it right out

i don’t self use mega scale but i use it in my tutorials for people that don’t know blender also get a chance to make the impossible. i only want to inspire people to make games

1 Like

Which PBR Texture did you use from Quixel? Also when opening the download link and downloading it, it won’t let me open it in studio. “Could not open the place… with exception: rbxgameasset urls are currently not supported on SurfaceAppearance. Use the image asset’s rbxassetid (can be copied from the ToolBox or Game Explorer).”

1 Like

the studio you download form this tutorial is not the normal roblox studio it means you need to find the folder for the beta roblox studio you downloaded and click on the roblox studio icon to open the program

1 Like

Just as a warning, if you use Quixel Megascans assets from the Unreal Unlimited Plan in a Roblox game and publish it, you could face legal issues.

6 Likes
  1. you can’t publish a place with megascans assets in the beta studio. 2. also roblox will probly take down your game if you publish a game with megascans assets. 3. you can use the Quixel Megascans assets/textures without getting legal trubles as long this is a private project you can fine follow the tutorial without getting ban/warn/place removed as long you follow my steps.
1 Like

Or the other option is purchasing the Megascans Subscription.

If you buy it, then you are free to use it in Roblox for commercial games. :slight_smile:

I hope one day there is Quixel Bridge support for Roblox. I tried to make a plugin for this purpose my self, but had a bit of difficulty. However one of the plugin programmers at Quixel offered to help me if I needed it, so I may try to finish developing a plugin if I can.

2 Likes

That final terrain picture looks amazing!

1 Like

why make a plugin you can’t use i mean people would have to buy a quixel subscription to use your plugin

1 Like

Yeah but regardless, for those who do have a Quixel subscription, wouldn’t it be nice to have a plugin that directly imports Quixel assets into Roblox?