[archive] The process of rigging a custom character

Also, why can’t I move my character? (when I’m playing)

2 Likes

I don’t think I mentioned this, but if you have image on then you need to have the character not touching the ground. Also make sure it isn’t anchored.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the help, I will notify you if I have any problems relating to this! Very helpful, keep up the good work.

3 Likes

When you have join surfaces on and move a part to another part, it will connect both of those together.
Without it, the part will not connect to the other part automatically.

4 Likes

Oh, that still didn’t work for me, but I tested a r6 character with a r15 platform and it didn’t move but when I test a r15 with the same platform it moved, how can I fix this if it is a custom character?

1 Like

Not really sure why it wouldn’t be working. Are you able to send a place file of the custom character (only character if you don’t wanna send the game or whatever) in DMs? I will look into the place and see if I can find an issue.

1 Like

Uh yeah but I might have to redo the character build because I built it on the right side not the front…

1 Like

You can actually turn the humanoidrootpart to the correct side, resize it, and just re rig that part and it should fix that

I recommend deleting this and resending in dms, since its public unless you are fine with people stealing your stuff

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I don’t want this to be leaked, I just don’t think there are many people that will see it in here

2 Likes

Hello!

Does the custom rig need to have ALL of the same joints and ALL of the same parts? For example, what if I make a character without arms, however it has 2 legs, 1 neck, and that connects to the head. And in the center is a torso.

It seems correct when I rig it however when I try animating, the parts don’t move. It is set to R6 format on the Humanoid and I’ve followed every step, the rig is unanchored and not welded.

https://gyazo.com/d6542e2ced9b053fc3f8a37a28b39388

I hope someone is able to help, thank you! If you have any questions let me know.

2 Likes

Something that you may be having an issue with is the part names. They don’t have to be exactly named how I named them, but just make sure to name them something that makes sense. Like “RightTopArm” for the shoulder or “LeftBottomLeg” for the foot. Those parts do not need to be there if you don’t need them. Joint names don’t really matter. Two parts or joints can not be the same name.

By the way, you MUST have a HumanoidRootPart. It will not function without it.

1 Like

Okay, I believe all of my names make sense, I have posted it below.

Not included in the photo:
Humanoid, set to R6.

Thank you!

1 Like

Does the animating work? Or still frozen

By the way try making your rotation snap 5 or something small, you might have it very big by accident

2 Likes

My rotate is set at 5 and my move is set at .05. I have no clue what the issue would be but it’s still freezing.

1 Like

Thank you for posting the tutorial but I have one question, are you going to make another tutorial for Blender?

The reason why I’m asking this question is that I’m planning to make nonhuman enemies like block minions in the future.

1 Like

I am not sure how to create skinned meshes, only normal rigs. I could try but I probably wont

1 Like

Thats odd. I am unsure then. I can help more in a little just busy

1 Like

Alright, let’s take this to messages. I’d be happy to send anything you need.

1 Like

I’m having a bit of an issue with how my rig appears on the client vs. server. I’ll link my topic here:

1 Like