How to test VideoFrame in Studio! (POSSIBLY OUTDATED)

WARNING:

Changing the configuration of Studio could result in corruption of your Studio installation, place files you open with this changed configuration, etc. Use at your own risk!

Hello! This is a tutorial of how to test VideoFrame in Roblox! Let’s get straight to it.
(I don’t explain much because I’m lazy and in a rush.)

VideoFrames are a GUI object that is in testing mode right now. It plays audio and a video from files or such. My theory is that they will add a new thing you can upload which is videos so Roblox can moderate the content instead of putting it in your files to reach it. VideoFrames support WEBM files and I’m pretty sure that it doesn’t support others, but Roblox might add more valid video files.

– Adding VideoFrame to game. –

First, you need to get RobloxStudioModManager from CloneTrooper1019’s GitHub so you can test out objects in testing mode, press Clone Or Download, then press Download Zip!

Link : https://github.com/CloneTrooper1019/Roblox-Studio-Mod-Manager

When downloaded, open the file and open or double tap on the folder to open it’s contents. (Need a zip application)

Once you are in the folder, you need to open or double tap, RobloxStudioModManager application.

This would most likely pop up.

When you’re in the mod manager, you see Edit Fast Flags. To enable VideoFrames, press Edit Fast Flags. (An error will pop up saying “Editing flags can make Roblox Studio unstable, and could potentially corrupt your places and game data.”. This is a warning, if you still want to proceed, go and do so.)

Press ‘Yes’, and most likely it would say, “Studio is not updated” or something that means that Studio is not updated yet. Again, if you still wanna proceed, click the button that means yes (I haven’t encountered this but I have heard of it) and proceed.

Now, at the top, it says "Search". Type “VideoSupport” in the Search bar, and click enter.

Right now, you should see this. When you see VideoSupport, press, Override Selected near the top left. Once, you’re in the Overrides, when you see value, in VideoSupport, double click it and change it to true.
To >

Then, close your Flag Editor, then Mod Manager will pop up again. When you’re in here, change Studio Branch to sitetest2.robloxlabs, and set true to Just Open Studio Directory.

To >

Now, press Launch Studio. It will probably install a version, but that’s fine. When it’s done, it will open file explorer. Go to the bottom, then you will see, RobloxStudioBeta. Open that studio application.

When you open, it looks normal. Pick the game you wanna test it in, and make a SurfaceGui, and make it in place.

Once you’re done, open command bar, then type,

Instance.new('VideoFrame', workspace)

Then press enter.

Once you press enter, a VideoFrame is added to workspace. Put the VideoFrame in the SurfaceGui and tweak with it’s properties.

– Making the video work. –

Once you put the VideoFrame in, you need to add the video. Go back to the place where you opened RobloxStudioBeta and press content. Or, C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Roblox Studio\content\.
Once you are in content, put your video file inside of content. I recommend WEBM, I haven’t tried MP4 so soon I’ll do it.

For example, I put my Video in and named it ‘thing’

When you’re done, go to Roblox Studio again, then go to the VideoFrame's properties. When you see video, type in “rbxasset://” then your video name, then your video file name. For example,

“rbxasset://thing.webm” cause my video is called thing, and my video file is WEBM
So, after you do that, set Playing to true if you want it automatically, or you can do it manually in a script with :Play().

So, that is how you test VideoFrames in Roblox Studio! If anything is wrong, tell me in the replies.

121 Likes

Awesome tutorial! I shall try this myself! I have always been wondering how I can try this out and now I can thanks to this tutorial! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Definitely gonna try working with this, can you apply a VideoFrame to something besides a SurfaceGUI or no?

6 Likes

I’m sure it can be used with ScreenGuis as well.
(I’d really hope so, otherwise it’d very limiting)

5 Likes

Maybe, maybe you can use it with GUIs and other UI objects. I tried it, it didn’t work but it is a GUI object. It did appear.

(Grey is the VideoFrame)

3 Likes

I swear if ROBLOX doesn’t make VideoFrames accessible with ScreenGUI’s im not gonna be happy lmao

10 Likes

I’m testing this out right now, I have the video in studio properly. It’s just not appearing. The properties are changing as the videos are continuing, I’ve put this in a screengui in a part, and just left it out in the workspace. I’m just a bit confused.

2 Likes

ScreenGui? Do you mean “SurfaceGui”?

2 Likes

Yes my bad lol

30 characters

3 Likes

Well, did you set it to playing, or have a script in your videoframe that makes it play with :Play().

Is your file a WEBM?

1 Like

It is a webm, and it is playing I just can’t see it. image
the surfacegui is also facing toward me
It’s also visible as well

4 Likes

And your videoframe is sized too, right?

2 Likes

It wasn’t thank you, I thought it would just come sized to something like 0,100,0,100 like normally. haha

2 Likes

No problemo, when you’re done, tell me if it works or not. (I keep editing don’t mind me)

1 Like

It works, thank you.

30 characters

3 Likes

Doesn’t work for me. My VideoFrame is sized and does redirect to the TestVideo

and does refer to it as “rbxasset://testvideo.webm” under video.image

3 Likes

The file is named “testvideo.webm”. It doesn’t need the .webm at the end.

3 Likes

Do you mean remove the .webm from the VideoFrame?

2 Likes

Wait, so you named it with the .webm? Or did it automatically do that? Cause, mine doesn’t go with the .webm at the end.

1 Like

it automatically came with the .webm file extension. For some people it doesnt

3 Likes