How would I start this game for beginner players?

As the name suggests, I have a game that’s in the works- which you can read about on the other thread here.

In a nutshell, this game is an open world sci-fi RPG with elements similar to popular games on other platforms. I would HIGHLY recommend looking at the thread to get a general idea of what I’m getting here.
I’ve tried thinking about ways on how to implement a tutorial section, but so far, I have no ways of implementing this.

I’ve thought about different ideas, but I’m very indecisive. Things like:

• A simulation button where it teleports you to another game for the ‘tutorial’ area that involves enemies and higher level weapons, but it’s not carried over to the other servers.
  • A level where the player character wakes up in a truck that was supposed to protect their avatar, waking up to destroy the threats.

Or maybe both?
Not too sure on what I could do, but I do like the first one. What are your thoughts? What would you implement in a game like this?

1 Like

Hm, you said above that it has elements similar to popular games on the platform

If we assume that the players that will be playing your game enjoy the sci-fi or RPG genre, getting used to the flow or controls of the game doesn’t really like too much of a daunting task for them, if you get what I mean

1 Like

Oh totally, but it has a lot of other mechanics, such as-

• Rail grinding.
  • Grappling hooks.
  • Dashing/Dodging
  • Sprinting

There’s a lot of controls for this game which makes it hard to follow at times, and the combat I have planned is going to make it really unique from other games as well. That’s why I asked here! (:

2 Likes

Oh alright well how about you just make different situations in which you would have to use those mechanics!

Voila that’s the tutorial

2 Likes

If you have a story, you should have a tutorial that opens up the story, similar to Marvel’s Spiderman - PS4. It begins the story, and as you go, you learn mechanics of the game. (sorry for the long clip lol)

2 Likes

I prefer tutorials that don’t take away my freedom to play the game how I want.
If you disable my character movement inputs and UI interactions and then run me through every single mechanic back to back, meanwhile all I wanted to do was run around town, then I’ll start off annoyed and sometimes try to speed through the reading. A tutorial should begin when a player wants to learn about the corresponding mechanic or when what is being taught is required to progress. You can probably create this interest without waiting for the player though, like if you placed the player in proximity to enemies and a weapon then they’d probably be inclined to learn about combat.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s what I was actually kind of referring to! If the player wants to learn the combat, they could go to that simulation world that I mentioned!!
It’s optional, but you can learn the mechanics if you just look at the controls. If you want to practice, just go to the simulation world!

1 Like

This quite reminds me of Sonic Frontiers, with its “Training Simulators” that pop up when you need to be reminded of a certain action.