How's my Forge model?

As of recently I decided to dedicate some of my free time into developing a forgery-mettalurgy based game. (Incase you are interested I got my game ideas in this thread)

I have finished making maybe the starter or an early-game furnace: Small Forging Smelter.

NOTE

The one I am showcasing in this message is the old one. I completely remade the mesh. Look down in the comments of this thread to see it!

Here is the latest update

Here is what it looks from studio:

It is a combination of 2 meshes I made in blender:

The Base

Container

Later on in the post I may change the container mesh to make it more detailed, but this is a starting ground.

5 Likes

Looks pretty good. Excited to see more of the game

1 Like

Small update: Made the container longer as it looks more accurate.

Looks decent, but most forges I’ve seen have the crucible down lower in the hot section of the forge. Also the legs and base look like they’d fall over if anyone even bumped the forge in real life. Maybe widen the stance of the legs and angle them out with feet that have no bevel.

A site you may want to look at: https://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/homemade-forge-plans-tutorials-for-every-skill-level/

You may want to try the Smooth Faces tool in the Faces dropdown menu to get rid of the faceted look of your models.

1 Like

I tried smooth and subdivision effects but the smooth effect didn’t seem to make a change even if I change the parameters, and the subdivision surface effect just made the entire mesh invisible.

Did you have all the Faces selected when you clicked the Smooth Faces tool?

hm, it looks quite good, I’d suggest you keep it as a low poly model, its design calls for it, this is due to the texture as well, fix that and it’s great!

Have you enabled the auto smooth in the normals tab when shading smooth?

Here is what it should like look when it is burning:

The colour of the smelting metal would change more yellow, then red, then white by temprature once i set that up.

And the colour may have a slightly different hue depending on the material.
I also decided to make the coal nodes a neon bright red when burning instead of having the burning particles as it makes it clearer.

I will also add a steamy effect at where the coal is burning.

By the way are oil smelters a thing? I might add some oil pump factionality along with my planned mining system

Here is the simple coal node mesh incase you were curious:

I looked at one of the forgers there and I made this one based on the propane forge:

Improved on that with a propane tank:

You just gotta texture it now.

Yeah. I’m trying to learn blender UV editing instead of Roblox’s texture tool since it is hard to use. Have you got any suggested tutorials on blender texturing? If so then that would be massively appreciated!

Yes I got the perfect one

Bake textures (quick and easy)

For adding textures I usually just assign a texture to a certain part of the model in editing tab, this might help

1 Like

Thanks! I will look into them and will try to apply some nice textures to the forge. I will send an updated image of the textured model once I have completed.

1 Like

http://builder.openhmd.net/blender-hmd-viewport-temp/modeling/meshes/editing/smoothing.html

Redesigned the tank for the propane forge:

(The bends on the pipe is intentional)

This is probably the last itteration of my propane forge for a while:

I decided to destroy the entire mesh and start from the beggining. I based it of a real smelter like @Scottifly suggested.

It took a reasonable amount of time to re-model the entire thing, around 7-15 miniutes, I forgot to track.
My blender skills are already improving since 2 days ago when this thread was made.

And the main forge model i focused on will be replaced with the propane forge. So think of it as a grand re-design.

Imported the meshes to studio and added some colour and material:
(Added basic dummy rig for scale)