Metallurgy based Game | How should it work?

Hey!

Whilst going through some of my old projects, I noticed a project called ‘Forgery Simulator’. I have stopped developing it to focus on new, more promising games around 4-5 months ago.

The game idea is basic:

1 Mining

A player would have a mine(s) to get ores from, or they could just buy ores.
The rarer the materials in a mine is, the more expensive it is to buy & run.

2 Ore smelting

The idea is that ores can be bought, but they have a selected purity rate; or in other words, how much actual useful metal there is in that ore.

Ores and Metals would be measured in Kilograms for now. Once an ore finished it’s melting process, it’s mass is multiplied by its purity (between 0.05-0.95) to get the finished ore.

3 Alloy Forgery

Of course, just having an ore smelting game has probably been done many times before and would be a quite boring mechanic on its own. So I thought of adding alloy forgery.

2 or more metals (like titanium or lead), soft materials (like carbon) or gasses (like oxygen) could be combined to make an alloy.

The alloy’s mass would be a direct combination of the 2 metals added or the 1 metal and soft material.
The 15%-25% of the added gas weight would go into the alloy.

4 Metalwork

Metals and alloys can be sold directly for cash, but using them for metalwork would be more profitable.

I do not have much ideas on how this would work, apart from that it can turn specific alloys or metals into specific objects.

5 Market

I plan on making a market and a bidding system to trade ores, metals, alloys or objects for cash or other ores, metals, alloys or objects.

Conclusion

Those are the main 5 features that I plan to add to the simulator.

What other features should I add? I’d love to hear your ideas!

Note:
Since I am a solo developer and I have other game projects, the progression of the Forgery Simulator may be slow, I am very sorry to anyone looking forward to the game, but it may take atleast a few months for the first release. :sad:

7 Likes

I have opened the devlog for this project here: Metallurgia - A forgery simulator [DEVLOG]

Also I’ve formed a devteam with @gameknight_10

(also changed the name from Forgery Simulator to Metallurgia, to make it sound less basic)

This sounds incredible! From what is described, the game seems really fun and provides lots of options. Good luck!

1 Like

Also another note on change of plans from the original plan 1 year ago:

Haven’t completely ruled out the idea of a mining mechanic, although I doubt it’d be in the innitial release of Metallurgia. In the initial release, all materials (raw, proccessed, ect.) can be bought from a shop.

Also alloys would be made differently. Instead of a set recipe to alloy system like the original plan was, this time alloys would be determined by the chemical properties of what’s inside the forge. A complex function that im working on right now would take the tempreture aswell as the makeup of the contents and then spit out what the contents would form. Planning to make this support Reactivity Series, meaning that if you put carbon + rust and heat it up, you can get carbon-dioxide and pure iron. I’ve already got the theory for this system set-out and over the weeks I’m gonna develop it further.

Metalwork has sorta been changes, in that molten metal can be poured into molds and cool down to form cool shapes that sell for more.

The idea for the market hasn’t really changed from the plan 1 year ago, there would still be a bidding and a game-wide market.

I’ve also decided that I’ll add custom elements to spice things up a little bit. I thought of Unobtanium (avatar refferance) as a custom element that only 50kg of it exists in the game or something like that. If you got ideas for other custom elements then inform me!

Over the past year I’ve gotten far better at chemistry and metallurgy, so the project should be more realistic than previously planned.

1 Like

Impressive! I find the scope of this project incredible, and I give you and your team the best of luck! (May the bugs stay away lol)

This is an amazing idea!
As I read through this my eyes glimmered as it reminded me an old game called Epic Mining 2, you might want to check it out for some inspiration, it is an amazing game but havent got updated really for years now.
I can see how a combination of both games would be insanely fun. Looking foward to it!

Heres the discord server for the game if anyone is interested: METALLUGIA, im starting to fully work on the game now!

An update, I’ve condensed all ores, oxides, metals, alloys, ect. into a single dictionary called “elements”

I also got a table called reaction that includes tables which has data for reactions, such as inputs, outputs, required temperature, ect. With this system it is now easier to just do a single interface for every element instead of tedious work to make it work for all previously 4 different types.

Gases though (such as Carbon dioxide, Carbon monoxide, Acetelyene) are still as their own type, as they can’t be picked up by the player.

Also rather unrelated, but anyone got any idea on how a game-wide market is to be implemented? I’m trying to make a system where players can buy, sell or bid on resources in a game-wide market, (with a player called “System” also being in the market, but it has a finite stock of resources and will automatically bid or buy resources if their prices are lower than the prices it sells for.)