IK Controls are now out of beta!

I’ve seen the docs before, would love to see it explored via a video tutorial

2 Likes

Super excited to get to use this in real work!!

4 Likes

This is definitely gonna be cool to see with physics in games!

4 Likes

NO WAY I was about to ask about it on the original IK beta post. YESS I’m so happy, seriously one of my favourite releases in a long time. Thank you for your efforts sg3cko, it will not go unappreciated!

3 Likes

Not 100% sure whether or not it would work but have you tried setting the pole property to an attachment or part below the tube/arm?

Wow, I was messing with the properties and then roblox studio crashed.
I was able to recreate this error multiple times too with & without beta features enabled.
It seems to happen when creating IKControl instances in the humanoid (R6) on the client while set to position mode and then resetting your character.

File:
IK test.rbxl (59.9 KB)

Script
local character = game.Players.LocalPlayer.Character
local humanoid = character.Humanoid
local ik1 = Instance.new("IKControl")
ik1.Name = "LeftSteer"
ik1.Parent = character:FindFirstChildOfClass("Humanoid")
ik1.Type = Enum.IKControlType.Position
ik1.EndEffector = character:FindFirstChild("Left Arm", true)
ik1.ChainRoot = character.Torso:FindFirstChild("Left Shoulder", true)
ik1.Target = workspace.SteeringWheel6.LeftHand

local ik2 = Instance.new("IKControl")
ik2.Name = "RightSteer"
ik2.Parent = character:FindFirstChildOfClass("Humanoid")
ik2.Type = Enum.IKControlType.Position
ik2.EndEffector = character:FindFirstChild("Right Arm", true)
ik2.ChainRoot = character.Torso:FindFirstChild("Right Shoulder", true)
ik2.Target = workspace.SteeringWheel6.RightHand

(I’m on an intel mac if that helps)

4 Likes

I I was really waiting for this! thank you.

1 Like

Interesting. I don’t see what purpose that would serve other than perhaps pivoting relative to the limb’s joint attachment, which can be accomplished numerous other ways. I’m curious to know if you are aware of any other use cases for IKControl on R6?

2 Likes

That is a programmable property and not a visual one!

1 Like

LETS GOOOOO

Thank you guys for making a feature like this possible! It will help alot with development and making realistic stuff!

2 Likes

Are you sure this is intentional? The documentation (albeit outdated) does include a Pole property in the list. I don’t see why they would remove it between then and now.

1 Like

I actually have no idea, from my own experience using it, I only have it available through code!

1 Like

Thats so great one it will change roblox alot thank you for hard work

1 Like

How would R6 support work in this case?

1 Like

Wow, i was trying to figure out FABRIK for a while but i just couldn’t get it. This might be one of my favorite updates

1 Like

Question: do IKControls replicate from client to server? Like, if I handle them from a local script, will other players see the animation?

1 Like

It wouldn’t make sense if they didn’t. So many use cases would be destroyed if it doesn’t

I dont think the properties do, if you set them client side, but the movement itself does.

LET’S GOOOOOOOOOOOO
Finally! Alright, time to test it out later on!

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong, but one of the purposes is also to anime with it, right?
If that is the case, then I’ve been having this issue during, and after beta (now). Not sure if this is purposely done or something else.

1 Like