Image attachments are deleted after `n` days from bug reports, removing crucial information

Currently, as of 7/27/22, it appears images attached to bug reports are deleted after a month or two.
I recently edited one of my bug reports that I filed a couple months back, and the associated images were all deleted. The image URLs now resolve to ![afcb011cfe6b924f202ee9544f17f631b32a01b1](upload://zRYXCQVA9AouAuM50yJibmtBjf1.png).

This should be fixed as it deletes crucial information from bug reports!

14 Likes

I can repro by editing one of my old posts with images that are still broken.

Opening the empty images in a new tab show them to be transparent.png.

8 Likes

This is still happening as of 9/18/23. Now it’s happening to older announcement posts by Roblox!

5 Likes

Thanks for reporting this - this is a known issue where a small amount of old uploads were lost during a migration last year.

The only way for us to recover these uploads now is if the original poster still has the file and can reupload it.

However, rest assured that old uploads are not being automatically removed after a certain time period!

5 Likes

Is there any chance Roblox still has the files they uploaded to their old posts? If so, could they be fixed?

As mentioned:

For the specific announcement you linked above, the upload isn’t actually lost, it’s a different problem. We’ll look into that.

Honestly I feel like the migration made images worse. Sometimes when uploading they just don’t have a preview at all

1 Like

That doesn’t have anything to do with the migration. The migration was to fix broken images. Please file a separate thread about your issue.

4 Likes

We’ve fixed the issue in the annoucement you linked.

3 Likes

Hi @LuaCow! Super late response, apologies.

Are there measures in place now to ensure that data isn’t lost again in any future migrations? Preserving forum history is important for a lot of posts, as it can provide context for ongoing issues as well as a knowledgebase for past issues (bugs or otherwise). It would be kind of like if random tickets from my ticket system were deleted one day, would make it harder to get context.

This is an issue when I looked through older replies on an old topics, not only in bug reports

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/game-suspended-falsely-during-a-120000-robux-sponsorship-twice/1775404/89?u=vscplays