Immersive Ads are rolling out!

Where is this robux coming from? How actually are people making money off this?
If I can get positive answers to those questions, then I like this addition/update!

That simplifies to 10/10. strong text

3 Likes

There’s tons of sources you can look at, here are a few

Almost all sources peg average CPMS at around 3-4$ similar to Superbiz, Roblox is offering a 20cent CPM which is 20-30x less then 3-4$.

1 Like

Interesting,
I look forward to seeing where this goes as maybe this will become a new effective advertisement method

1 Like

Excited but skeptical. Do portal ads hurt session length? What is the cut that Roblox gets out of this? If I knew the answers to these id be more likely to implement the feature.

5 Likes

around a year ago roblox changed their ToS to make sure developers using ads from third parties knew what ads their game serves and forced the devs to upload the ads themselves so they have control over what is shown in their game, good to know that we will not even know what ads we are going to show in our games until they’re actually shown using your system, first party privelage I guess, not to mention the payouts, if they really are as low as pointed by people above then yeah, great update

at least they mentioned increasing earnings over time so hopefuly they increase them like they did with premium payouts, by a few times soon after release

5 Likes

Could we please get an API to verify if an ad is being shown or not? I would like to display fan art of my game rather than a tilted silver square on a black background when no ads are available.

2 Likes

API exists, use Status under AdGui and GetPropertyChangedSignal or Changed

4 Likes

To pile on, unless Roblox comes up with some amazing Ai or has actual people go server hoping to check, it will be too easy to layer up all the ads so that looking at one will trigger another behind it or better yet, easy way to have the ads and just hide them with “game” content so people are scoring you ad revenue and you don’t even know it as a player. Wow, this is going to be abused so much when you really think about it. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ah, thank you! I asked for this during the beta but had not heard back since.

1 Like

unless Roblox comes up with some amazing Ai or has actual people go server hoping to check, it will be too easy to layer up all the ads so that looking at one will trigger another behind it

You don’t need AI, you can do it with raycasts, property checks, and math to work out how much of the screen it’s taking, the angle of the ad to the player, if it’s obstructed, and if the obstructions are invisible or not.

7 Likes

A huge question I have in my mind is whether or not the advertisements shown are tailored specifically to your game.

For example, if a player is playing primarily a dress up pet game, would the advertisements shown in that game predominantly also be dress up pet advertisements?

Because I think that tailored ads will increase the amount of retention/interaction time with the game and the billboard. If they’re playing a dress up pet game and if they see an extreme anime boxing muscular game, they’re most likely not going to be interested in that.

1 Like

What we will be able to add our own adverts? I was under the impression that it was for brands to advertise on and for game devs to add to there games. I have not seen anything about users being able to add there own.

How do we know if we are eligible for the feature or not?

1 Like

This would be more of a ViewPortFrame AdFrame, it would be cool tho!

1 Like

For Image Ads, what if there’s a part with a transparency of 1 blocking it? If there’s an invisible wall preventing the player from walking to the ad, but they can still visibly see it, would it count?

1 Like

AdGui has a property named AdShape. Currently, the only available option for this is “HorizontalRectangle”, which I assume is a 16:9 rectangle image. Having all ads be the exact same size is pretty limiting.

Will there be more AdShapes in the future? For example, would the current on-site User Ad shapes get identical Immersive Ad shapes as well?

4 Likes

Interesting, a feature like this could be useful for games that don’t want to implement any sort of gamepasses or developer products.

I don’t want to put pay-to-win or lootboxes into my projects so my monetizations options will be pretty limited, some projects might even be singleplayer with no way to spend robux on the game but I still gotta be able to earn in some way without have to redesign like half my project.

Immersive ads sounds pretty useful, does not disrupt immersion and I can put it somewhere where it gets seen but doesn’t annoy or distract the player too much from the actual goal of the game.

3 Likes

Couldn’t I just make twenty jumbo ads, have them all zoom left right up and down getting all the angles at lightspeed in front of the player’s face, in an empty world and thus no obstruction, and then make Roblox go into debt?!

4 Likes

If i may ask, how much robux due you own per teleport and view? Other than that, I find this update very good. Good job roblox for once

So if brookhaven and bloxfruits decided to have portal ads that connected to each other, wouldn’t that be a mega self sustaining jackpot?