Implement an 'Incognito Mode' for playing as a creator

I had never once mentioned that anyone is going to exploit in their games. If you had read my post here then you might have a hint why this feature is super redundant and unnecessary.

I did read your post, however having a built-in option that doesn’t require the developer to manipulate their own game would be a lot more easier.

If you don’t like the idea, if it is implemented (unlikley), just don’t use it and stick to your methods?

1 Like

You cannot disable the player list in the esc menu.

this just seems unnecessary. Simply, just make the system yourself. Dont want the hammer icon? Simple, create a custom leaderboard. Also want to hide your name? Implement a feature that hides it in the leaderboard and stuff, OR just use an alt account and give it some special access to features such as “unlimited robux” allowing you to buy all gamepasses or something. A way for that would be a role or manually setting something like a database or a roblox table in order to do so.

The feature is unnecessary and should be created on the developer’s end.

1 Like

This upcoming change removes the useful albeit hacky method of being able to hide yourself from both the default player-list and the player-list in the ESC menu, therefore removing the only real method to have an “incognito mode” in game.

Being constantly visible to players no matter what you do is incredibly inconvenient for both development and moderation work.

2 Likes

A custom player-list will not prevent players from just looking in the ESC menu.

While I agree that a lot of the things explicitly detailed in the original thread is overkill, the core basic concept of “being invisible to normal players” has a lot of value for doing work as an in-game moderator or as a developer.

Disregarding the basic idea entirely just because “a developer can make it themselves” feels ignorant.

1 Like

In other words, you want guests re-added. Which were removed for multiple good reasons. If I recall there was also a vulnerability found with guests allowing you to execute code through their dialogue bubble buttons. :laughing:
Not to say that such a vulnerability would be present if something similar was re-added, but there were other reasons for their removal and that’s why they are ultimately not a good idea.

Use another account like everyone else. It’s your only choice and really isn’t hard. I use a different browser with a different account always logged in. “Oh no, a minor inconvenience…”

Use the alt account on a different browser, then you don’t have to logout of your creator account.

1 Like

Honestly been down with this idea for over a decade. Sometimes, I admit, I have a bad habit of logging on late, and I feel self-conscious about it a lot on rare occasions. But it does happen, and man, I love sliding into my favorite game all the time and just running with it.

Why dont you create a seperate game purely for testing but replicated from the original game.

There are not natural players in a dev branch, it is completely impossible to test certain things in such an environment.

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking on making a module to emulate this incognito mode, it’s hacky but theres a way, unless Roblox decides to patch those ways, for your note this method to hide yourself from the player list both esc menu and player list is a old method, and mostly used on script hub games (common example is LC, well if you know it you know)

2 Likes

yoo can u tell me how to do this or u arent comfortable sharing this to the public

How did you get the playerlist code? I’m trying to make my name yellow on the leaderboard but I don’t know how to a make a script that handles the playerlist, so I’d rather just get the one roblox uses

I think you’re misunderstanding. Playing anonymously does not mean none of your progress is tracked or that the game cannot identify you as who you actually are.

The old guest feature actually gave you a temporary account with a negative UserID and you would lose any progress you made on that guest account once it rotates.

They definitely should not add the guest feature back, it was a useless feature because people want to be able to keep their progress.

2 Likes

I have a hacky way of doing this

• Write a localscript that deletes you from the game

game.Players.yourname:Destroy()

• Parent it to every client’s PlayerGUI except yours
  • Nobody will see you on the playerlist except you
3 Likes

@commitblue well looks like someone exposed it

I didn’t expose it here because Roblox could patch it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I dont see this being practical… If i want to test a Game then we can make test servers for that. If i want to use the console in a game that i own then we can already do that. For testing buying ganepasses we have studio for testing.

If there is a better reason for this to be implemented then i would definately love to see this happen because else this is extravagant.

To add on to this:

Where’s the Offline Mode? I heard it was in development, but now it’s just gone. Any updates on that?

1 Like

The (somewhat) same thing can be achieved by using a custom player list to prevent the icon and a script can change the creator’s avatar to a “bacon”