Importing Roblox Objects(Characters, Parts, Tools) into Blender Cycles

Blender boasts plenty of tools that can be utilized to make 5-star renders of Roblox objects. Just look at people like Maplestick, Crackop, and ID0ntHaveAUse, among many others.

Lately, a lot of people have asked me “How do you import Roblox objects into Blender?” Of course, this is the blender internal render, which doesn’t compare to blender cycles. Whereas importing objects into the blender internal engine may be easy, importing it using the same method into cycles will scrap the textures off of it. Sit tight, by the end of this tutorial, you will know how to import Roblox objects into blender cycles.

Step 1 (In Studio):

Open up a default baseplate project in Roblox studio. Delete the baseplate.

Step 2 (In Studio):

Drop in items from the Toolbox (or your previous creations). If it is an item put it in the scene rather than the starter kit. When importing other’s or my character(s) I use AlreadyPro’s “Load Character.

I dropped in my character, a propane tank, and a pistol in the image below.

Step 3 (In Studio):

Under File>Advanced click on Export as OBJ and select a place to export it to.

Step 4 (In Blender):

Open up blender, and under File>Import select Wavefront(.obj) and select your saved .obj (Caution: You will see a .mtl file with the same name as your .obj, do NOT delete it as it contains the materials, it should be in the same directory as your .obj). You should see in your blender scene something like this.

Step 5 (In Blender):

Select the “Blender Render” button on the middle of the top toolbar.
Then choose Cycles Render from the dropdown.

While your at it, select “Material” from the view button on the bar at the bottom of the 3D view.

You should now see this:

Keep in mind that this is what the material is, nothing mainly, except for some solid color materials. (WHich are already predefined and don’t need to be set up.)

Step 6 (In Blender):

Click on a part of an object (Many objects, including characters, tools, and structures will be in many pieces, although many share the same materials or textures.)

I have selected a part of my character for the first one:

Here is the tricky part. Select “Use Nodes” in the property tab (right-hand corner) image

Once you have selected that, look below the Surface selection button, you will see a color selection button, on its right you should see a circle button.

Select the circle button and choose “Image Texture.”

You should see this:

select the image button to the right of the “open” (and not the open button itself)

You will see in the selection bar a bunch of images. Don’t worry if their names are “Part2Tex” for example. You willfind that many of the image names are the same as their material names.

Looking up at my material list image

and my image list: image

I select the image with the similar name: image

Step 6 (In Blender):

As soon as I selected the image, I can see that all the objects that share the same material now have their appropriate texture on!

All I have to do now is to apply the same thing to the other objects in the scene:

I hope that this tutorial has successfully explained to you how to impport objects from ROblox Studio into Blender Cycles. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me on DIscord at Nurgenius

Happy Blendering! :grin:

60 Likes

are the roblox materials that’re exported with the parts worth it

like do they have bump maps n all that

or should we just stick to maplestick’s set

4 Likes

Its up to the renderer honestly. Many people prefer different techniques, but giving them their original textures is a good start. I haven’t used Maplestick’s set. Your talking about this?

What I like to do when importing (and suggest), is to start off from the original textures, and then select the faces that are supposed to be glass or metal (for example) and give them a whole new material (glass or transparent for glass and glossy for metal) that I would make realistic.

Examples:

4 Likes

There’s a script for this.

1 Like

true, there are technically many ways to import the materials, this is just one method that’s simple and effective.

2 Likes

How would this be done in blender 2.8?

2 Likes

Not sure I haven’t quite got to use it yet, but if I figure it out I’ll let you know soon.

There’s nothing when I import a model,

9 Likes

An annoying part is it takes the textures of the avatar such as faces and others.

1 Like

Mine don’t work 30 c.h.a.r.a.c.t.e.r

Is there a tutorial for blender 3.0?

The method would be slightly different but exporting with Roblox would be the same.