Improved Layered Clothing Fitting [Beta]

Hello Developers,

We are excited to announce the beta release of a new fitting algorithm for layered clothing accessories.

This new algorithm was designed with the goal of reducing the bulkiness of multi-layered clothing and producing more visually-pleasing and realistic-looking dressed avatars. It only affects the visuals of an avatar wearing 2 or more layers of clothing, and retains the same looks when wearing single-layer clothing setups.

We have tested this new algorithm with multiple combinations of clothing layers and avatar body types and the fitting has improved quite significantly (see Figures 1 to 3).

Figure 1 (Left to Right): (a) Default Roblox body; (b) current multi-layered clothing fit is bulky and inflates the layers as they are placed over each other; (c) updated fitting using the new multi-layered algorithm makes overall look more natural and visually appealing.

Figure 2 (Left to Right): (a) Roblox boy body; (b) current look with an air gap between the sleeve and the arm; (3) new look with sleeves retaining the proportions while properly fitting the arms.

Figure 3 (Left to Right): (a) Roblox woman body; (b) current look with outer jacket looking puffed; (3) new look with the more realistic fit.

To enable this beta, go to File > Beta Features and select Multilayer Wrap Fix. Please restart Studio to enable these changes.

That’s it! You are all set to use the new layered clothing algorithm in your experiences.

Let us know how it is working for you, especially if you find a body & clothing combination that produces unexpected fitting results!

Thank you!

242 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

I honestly don’t know how many people this will affect…

I’m going to expand this with an edit. Honestly, from my experience, layered clothing has been fine. It has looked a bit stretched, but in the end, sticking to the original Roblox format and combining that with the new Roblox layered style in itself is a risk.

I’m genuinely surprised that this hasn’t arrived sooner, but you win and you lose sometimes with Roblox updates. I’m sure that my opinion is minor so please read other feedback before you look at my snarky remarks…

Please read this, in multiple games I’ve seen this happen. It’s funny but causes MAJOR lag spikes.

53 Likes

I was wondering. You do mention layered clothing being faster with this change does this fix this bug?

My game is nearly unplayable with layered clothing causing fps drops that can be significant at times (especially when theres a full server). I’ve been waiting months for a fix so I got excited to see this post I was just wondering if this issue is resolved with this update.

47 Likes

Does this fix the massive layered clothing bug? Is it safe to re-enable layered clothing in experiences again?

35 Likes

Finally! I’m glad Roblox is getting better.

46 Likes

Cannot seem to find the option in the beta features list FWIW.

Excited to see if some details with my avatar look better with these changes.

36 Likes

The clothes still look like they’re 5 sizes too big :skull:

but looking at the pictures, is this an error with overlap? And shouldn’t the blue outfit be tight around the character while the sweatshirt is baggy?

46 Likes

I think this is good but, those pictures are horrifying. Maybe have better pictures. 2c

40 Likes

To some extents or in some cases the bulkiness of layered clothes does make sense. I wonder how much this change eliminates that altogether?

31 Likes

why is this comment place full of negative reviews over this, yall not even grateful for layered clothing getting an improvement sheesh

34 Likes

I can’t do it right now but you can check this yourself If you happen to know any specific combinations that cause it, just go into studio and see if the glitch is still doable. If it still happens i think it’s worth reporting again, since this is supposed to actually improve the algorithm used to fit them

21 Likes

A lot, when any player can decide to ruin a server by dressing with a glitched avatar that covers the entire game. This would fix that, probably. (edit: did not fix this)

21 Likes

Nah they are just oversized clothing for gymbros, looks realistic and better to me than skinny and super stretched clothing.

20 Likes

It may make the lags shorter, but it will not eliminate them. We are actively working to fix that as well, but it’s a much more complex change, so it’s taking time. This change is a smaller optimization, and significantly simpler, so we’re putting it in beta now to gather feedback.

24 Likes

Yes, it should improve that issue. We’re defiantly interested in the results of any tests you can do, positive or negative. The main purpose of this beta is to gather feedback.

20 Likes

Honestly, I feel like a good amount of layered clothing should fit tighter, even when not using multilayer. Also please make the layered hair look more natural, it’s TOO shrinkwrapped. Maybe they could be sliders if possible? Good update though, I’ve always liked layered clothing.

23 Likes

The fit of any particular avatar-garment (or hair) combo will depend on the outer cage of the avatar as well as the inner cage of the garment. We would like this to be under the control of the UGC creators, so any look or fit can be possible. This change will make it easier to precisly control the fit of multi-layer outfits, without this there is an added bulk that cannot be controlled.

19 Likes

I got the hair to look good through hacky methods.
Without them, the hair is too flat.
or this happens

16 Likes

Very exciting! I’m the co-owner of a fashion game and this has been one of our biggest pain points. We’re probably going to implement this as soon as we can. Thank you all for your hard work!!

9 Likes