Layered Clothing Used To Create Giant Avatars

Reproduction Steps
By equipping certain layered clothing, users are able to stretch their clothes to unreasonable sizes. I believe this is due to full-body clothing. In other words, an asset listed as a jacket, pants, shirt, or otherwise that actually covers the player’s entire body. By wearing multiple layers of these, the scale of the clothing increases as a result. Although the result is mildly humorous, it can prove disruptive to other players. Worse, the large size and many triangles causes the clothing to create a flashing screen effect when the avatar moves.

Expected Behavior
Support should be added for full-body layered clothing, as well as “catch-alls” in the event that a full-body layered clothing is uploaded under jackets, pants, shirts, ect.

Actual Behavior
Example of a normal avatar compared to one wearing multiple full-body layered clothing:

Reproduction File:
Massive Avatar Example.rbxl (321.7 KB)
Inside the large avatar is a HumanoidDescription, which lists all of the assets used.
(Please be responsible with this information)

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Other
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-04-21 00:04:00 (-04:00)

46 Likes

Can confirm, I’ve seen this issue in a few games along with others.

12 Likes

Yep, I see this in many games too. People use Shoes for this a lot, which adds an extra layer of annoying because of how much the massive layered clothing moves around.

2 Likes

This is a huge issue, many users are abusing this and YouTubers are advertising ways to do this…

6 Likes

I have just about had it with people who take advantage of this and use it to cause havoc. We need a fix as soon as possible, but for right now all we can do is wait or kick/ban the offenders with admin (if you have it in certain games.)

2 Likes

“Worse, the large size and many triangles causes the clothing to create a flashing screen effect when the avatar moves.”

This effect is especially harmful for anyone prone to epilepsy…

3 Likes

For now, a workaround for this is to force all WrapLayers to have a ShrinkFactor of 1. This will prevent avatars from becoming too large.

The issue appears to stem from full-body clothing items attempting to layer on top of each other.

3 Likes

WrapLayer.ShrinkFactor cannot be written to at runtime, making this workaround a non-option :

1 Like

My mistake, I was misremembering being able to use HumanoidDescription:SetAccessories() to assign ShrinkFactor then re-apply the HumanoidDescription to the humanoid. Turns out you can only specify Order and Puffiness with this method. Perhaps a feature request is in order?

UPDATE: I have created a feature request for this.

3 Likes

Thanks for the report! We are aware of this issue and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

9 Likes

Just wanted to share this screenshot I took recently, there are or may be some item combos capable of making the clothing stretch infinitely.

4 Likes

Hi, can this issue be escalated? It’s still happening and it’s seriously game breaking.

I just had to disable layered clothing in Super Skyward Towers because of this issue.

1 Like

This is still happening as of 6/3/22. In fact, there are more package combos now that cause this:
LC_ExpandIssue_Repro.rbxl (186.6 KB)

2 Likes

This 3D shirt breaks avatars sometimes BERRYxDEH - Blue Polo - You Got This - Roblox

1 Like

This is still happening as of 7/4/22.

Hello? Communication please??? This feature literally cannot be enabled in a lot of our games because of this issue.

1 Like

Hello, we are currently working on a few different fixes and fallbacks to prevent such issues from happening. We have had a few releases in the past weeks - Tested locally the above scene and while the LC are messed up, they do not explode to very large size.

Can you help and double check - and see if the repro needs updating? Thank you for your patience, we are continuing looking into issues with LC working to address them as they come.

4 Likes

Hi, thank you for the update! :slight_smile:

Great! Looking forward to the patches.

To my knowledge I haven’t ran into any map-covering variants, but there are still outfit combinations that make the clothing ~5x the size of the character. In the original repro, it makes the character invisible now! I’ve seen this abused by various players:

Here’s a repro of an outfit that is still large:
LargeClothing.rbxl (213.7 KB)

Here’s a repro of an outfit that is invisible:
InvisibleOutfit.rbxl (227.3 KB)

I’ve linked a modern repro above!

Thank you again, looking forward to the resolution of these issues!

2 Likes

@V4_Ap3Dud3 Heya! I actually have found a repro for the map-sized clothing:

MapSizedClothing.rbxl (270.3 KB)

Simply open this place file & run a playsolo test, there’s a StarterCharacter model under StarterPlayer.

3 Likes

Thank you @Noble_Draconian that is much appreciated. We will take a look at these as well and get back to you asap

4 Likes

As @Noble_Draconian had mentioned, users are able to create invisible avatars. This post expands upon that issue, which you may find useful. Players Able To Create Invisible Avatars