Improved Visibility of Package State and Actions

oh how i yearn for a CreatePackageLink method (because package links themselves should be read only imo)

2 Likes

hey @devSparkle I’d love to learn more about your external workflow here you’d like to have for packages. We’re working on an API for creation of packages, and we want to do more here - can you DM me so we can continue chatting more about your API needs?

3 Likes

Love this feature as a whole. Very helpful if you have scripts (usually modules) you want to use across multiple games without having to go through and update it in each one when you want to make a change.

Just hope this hasn’t caused the issue below and doesn’t have to be rolled back as a result, as the flag seems related :grimacing: :

4 Likes

This is cool, but I feel like what we really need is the ability to merge package updates and pending edits. If I add a script to a package, and then one of my coworkers publishes a change with a new part to it, I should be able to merge that without having to copy my script out, pull their change, put my script back in and publish. It should just pull the new part in. If there are conflicts on properties or whatnot, there should be a conflict resolution window (similar to the current diff window) that asks me what I want to keep. That is the final missing piece imo for packages.

5 Likes

Idk about the rest of the community but i feel the awkward truncating is really annoying so i made a poll

how do you feel about the truncating?

Community Feedback
  • I like it
  • I dislike it

0 voters

12 Likes

Regarding changes to the explorer as I was told to redirect my complaints here

Absolutely hate this change as I like to have the viewport be as big as possible.
RobloxStudioBeta_G8mLCL9fhH
It should be at least turned off as a default behavior (have a setting for it) or be removed entirely.
I myself was very confused as to why my explorer was behaving in the way pictured, and it made studio unpleasant to work with, I thought this was a bug.

HOW TO OVERRIDE

This behavior is triggered by the FFlag ExplorerPackageIconColumn2. To override this I downloaded Roblox Studio Mod Manager, opened it and clicked the Edit Fast Flags button, waited for it to download the files required for what it does, and then entered the FFlag in the search field, selected the FFlag and clicked Override.
After that, I launched it from the mod manager and that worked.

Comments on the updates to packages

The updated icons look great! One complaint i have though is that they may easily be misunderstood, so I suggest adding some kind of alt-text to the icons when they are hovered over to make sure that they aren’t misunderstood.
The updates to the rest of the stuff looks fine.

23 Likes

So apparently this new update caused this weird truncation issue in the explorer.
As I understand it the truncation is there because of the new icons.
A simple solution to this would be to only truncate only if the icons are present on an instance and only the space the icons take up. I understand that this bug would go unnoticed in testing because of screen size but some people just still don’t have so many pixels to work with. I hope this gets fixed soon.

8 Likes

Please fix the truncation issue. It is severely disruptive.

2 Likes

They should add a sidebar, or remove this truncating it’s horrible

2 Likes

Last I checked the package state icons are 1:1 in size and do not need to take up the rest of the space in the explorer

If these icons are not user interactable then they should NOT be removing valuable information from the explorer, there is no need for this to happen and will actually teach people to NOT use this feature because how much of a PITA it is to use it on anything other than a 32 inch monitor.

Edit: Jesus christ I don’t have a single package in my game and this is still enforced???

7 Likes

Thanks so much for this fix, this works perfectly.

2 Likes

This truncation is too fat for some reason, and i hate it.

2 Likes

There’s one thing holding me back from implementing packages into my projects, and it’s that every single copy of a package has to be identical. Now this is useful for models that are used repetitively, such as trees in a forest, but they can’t be used for models that are similar but vary slightly. One example would be varying sizes of trees with varying shades of colour.

At the moment changing the name, position, rotation, and enabled properties (along with welds) don’t count as modifications. It would be nice if we could define what properties are and aren’t considered modifications for each packages. For the models below, the default excluded properties would apply, along with Color to allow different colours of the same model:

6 Likes

I am able to work great…!.. not…

Revert this. This is not “improved visibility”, but “reduced visibility”. Either there was a typo in the title or I have no idea.

Why do the icons need SO MUCH space?

5 Likes

Social distancing

8 Likes

Maybe its because they messed up the proportions?
Anyways:
Red: current border (wrong)
Green: intended border location
Blue: just make the icons’s background transparent lol.

5 Likes

my improved visibility:

4 Likes

Until we get the ability to immediately publish all places in a universe with the most up-to-date version of published packages, I will not get much out of any of these changes. I am so tired of having to go through and manually publish all 20+ places in my game’s universe to roll out a single updated package.

3 Likes

Congratulations, Package team. You’ve made the Explorer twice as frustrating to navigate by introducing a crap-ton of whitespace for packages to SOMETIMES use. IN A GAME THAT DOESN’T USE PACKAGES.

Please revert this.

4 Likes

if i come across as angry, that’s because i am

this update is CRAZILY INFURIATING, as I can’t even DO ANYTHING regarding the explorer, because the entire thing is getting truncated! i’m not at ALL sure how, if this IS a mistake, got past testing and is STILL A THING, DAYS AFTER THE LAST UPDATE

and the worst part is that i don’t even SEE these link buttons

these MANDATORY little wednesday updates are sometimes cool, but most of the time i either never use it/dont care/never even see it, or it’s broken like this absolute mess of UI design!

there’s also another bug that i won’t get into that is ALSO VERY FRUSTRATING, but i won’t get into that here

this is the only exception where an update needs to roll out before next wednesday

3 Likes