Improvements to "Improvements to Pasted Object Workflow"

As a Roblox developer, a recent update was made that severely hindered my ability to use roblox studio. I believe this new “fix” would serve best as a toggle. Being on this platform for years, I’ve grown accustom to the current pasting process, and have started using it to my advantage to improve my speed of work.

I find often find myself copying objects, and selecting an object I’m working on to paste it on top of, and this feature ruins my workflow because it doesn’t paste it where I want, but instead to the CFrame of the object where you copied it.

This really feels like duplication with extra steps and not a paste feature anymore. There does seem to be an audience of developers who appreciate this change, but there is very clearly a large group who are struggling now that this is released. I understand we can toggle this behavior temporarily be enabling the collisions checkbox, but this also in turn adds more time to a simple pasting process that shouldn’t be overly complex. I hope you will consider this request. If anyone else has similar feelings, please feel free to reply.

I feel this is very urgent and should be addressed, and seeing from the comments on this post I am not alone. Improvements to Pasted Object Workflow

16 Likes

I’m also in a similar situation when it comes to this update. After having some time to work with this change, it’s made my life a bit more difficult.
When it comes to working on a large game, we have an asset storage place separate from our main development environment. When I attempt to paste assets from the asset place to the development place, having them appear in the middle of nowhere instead of where I’m currently working is a huge hassle. I made workflows based around the previous behaviors, and with this small change a ton of my workflows have been thrown off.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing this feedback! The team is aware of the behavior mentioned here, and is working on addressing this.

3 Likes

Particularly with this, I am missing the feature where the pasted part would be pasted where I was working (I believe this was the behavior before? It would be placed on top of what you had selected previously). If the camera isn’t looking at what you copied within some range, I think the pasted part should placed wherever your mouse is within some range of the camera. This would be more useful to me.

3 Likes