Improvements to Pasted Object Workflow

While I understand this is a way to toggle the behavior I really wish pasting behavior was separate from the collision behavior setting. When I build I have a certain workflow where I use crtl+v (paste) when needed and crtl+d (duplicate) when needed. I work almost exclusively with collisions off. This change is really messing with my building workflow and I can’t say I’m a massive fan. I hope a separate setting for pasting behavior is introduced in the future.

3 Likes

Pasting into a service other than Workspace already solved the problem of the positioning being messed up.

This seems like a needless destruction of a workflow that requires objects to be moved quickly to another, or to get pixel-perfect centering of an object on a platform.

Please revert this change or allow developers to disable this feature entirely. We shouldn’t have to enable collisions - which introduces it’s own set of issues when developing. Plus, it’s entirely against UX since who would think that collisions would make an object magically move to an object you have selected?

This “improvement” needs to be an optional setting - not forced by default and required to use some hack workaround to get the previous functionality.

Gonna have fun dragging a model a kilometer in one direction to just get it to a spot I need it to be in. :upside_down_face:

12 Likes

how do i disable this all together?

5 Likes

Duplicate should never ever move the part to a different location. That’s what Paste is for.

Now, both Paste and Duplicate have the same behavior. And they both change their behavior when you toggle the Collisions studio setting.

Here’s the problem I cannot work around:
Pretend you have a model of parts, and you want one of those parts inside this model to build a new model somewhere else. You would Copy and Paste that part so that you could click-drag it away. This change is now making pasted parts appear within the model instead of above. Trying to click-drag this new part will drag the model you don’t want to ever move.
Toggling the Collisions setting in Studio fixes this for you BUT now Duplicate is no longer duplicating. When you go to duplicate a part from a model later, where you don’t want the part to move at all because this is what Duplicate is supposed to do, the part is going to appear above the model. And toggling does fix this, but now you’re back to where you started with Paste doing the opposite of what it should do.

This has completely wrecked my workflow and it’s a major headache of finding the Model tab in Studio and clicking the Collisions checkbox only to need to click it again a few moments later.

I have no doubt this was done in good faith for younger creators but don’t forget your veteran creators!

Please, change this back.

62 Likes

Rather than this change from the previous behavior, I’m seeking out a “Paste Origin” button within the right-click panel.

From what I’ve seen there are few developers that are in need of use of this feature, not to mention majority of the time they’re pasting between Studio instances on a less frequent basis compared to the original favored functionality.

So please just give those few who wants this feature an extra right-click and click “Paste Origin”, rather than undermine the mainstream workflow and make us switch in-between a checkbox every time we want to paste and not duplicate.

10 Likes

I made a feature request for a toggle which a staff member replied to :pray:

3 Likes

Roblox really needs to do a better job of considering how changes like this will disrupt people’s workflows before pushing them live, especially when there’s no option to disable it. This is a great addition for copying things between files, but is seriously disruptive to many builders’ workflows. Almost every builder I know has collisions disabled, as you often need to be able to place parts inside of each other. It would be very inconvenient having to repeatedly toggle the collisions setting on/off.

Since the goal for this is to allow copy/pasting assets between different files, maybe a better solution would be:

• If copying something from a different file, or from a non-Workspace service, it will be pasted into its original location
  • If copying and pasting something within the same Workspace, use the old behavior, which would be more expected within this context
13 Likes

Please tell me how this is supposed to help us, please consult with developers before you make such a change. You guys never ask the community how they feel about changes to Studio, you guys just make the changes and a lot of your updates piss us off…

2 Likes

It’s genuinely amazing how people will complain about a good update and be perfectly content with an update that causes detrimental change to the platform.

1 Like

I can’t do “paste into objects” which copies & pastes it automatically a million times(to the amount of selected objects) with the duplicate feature. And I can’t duplicate an item between windows. Which are 99% of my use cases here.

2 Likes

As an environment artist, I use “duplicate” and “paste-into” a lot, but never use straight “paste” as I have complicated folder structure and never want an item to be in the root of the workspace. So for me to find this update useful it would also need to apply to “Paste-into”, in which case it would be VERY useful.

So another vote for applying this to shift-ctrl-v.

3 Likes

This could be useful to new developers, however to people like me who have been using this tool to move parts across a map it isn’t all that helpful.

I also think duplicate already does this but slightly easier. Hopefully we can get some option to make it go where you want it to.

3 Likes

I don’t usually dislike any Roblox Studio updates, but this one I really do dislike. I do believe it is an improvement for some cases, for example it would be a great Improvement for newer developers, but for older developers this really isn’t the best improvement. This is basically Ctrl - D with extra steps.

4 Likes

Please revert this, this is so annoying to have to relearn the way I build.

5 Likes

so now we have 2 buttons that do the same thing, kind of pointless : /

3 Likes

I was about to get on studio to Work on a Big Change for my Map and What Im Hearing is not Acceptable for me

3 Likes

Hello, this ruined my workflow as I use Copy-Paste to have parts get set on top of other parts.

1 Like

We are thinking about that let me see about this I know that is a problem we are thinking is vehicle car jailbreak

2 Likes

Workflow updates can be incredibly disruptive for a lot of people. I regularly use duplicate when I need more of an object and would exclusively use copy & paste to move objects to a new location by selecting a different part and then pasting it to that location.

The aspect of being able to paste to a selected object’s location is overall beneficial and isn’t something that should have been lost with collision checks toggled off.

The following should be the preferred functionality of the update.

• When pasting something from your clipboard without having an object or part selected should use the object’s original location.

• When pasting something from your clipboard while an object or part is selected, it should use the selected object’s location.

A workaround for being able to do the above would be to toggle collision checks, but then you still run into the issue of that chair you want to paste into a house is now on the roof instead of on the floor of the room you have selected.

Something else that could be a feature is a “Paste-to-Location” function, which would paste an object to a select item’s location. (Ctrl+Alt+V as the proposed shortcut)

2 Likes

now, this is a great idea. I want to be able to paste origin but I also wanna paste regularly.

2 Likes