In-game Chat: /me

The main reason for /me not being used in Roleplay is that it does not appear above the player’s head…

1 Like

This seems like a great change! This will prevent a lot of scammers posting fake messages.
Developers also still have the opportunity to enable them.

Thank you for this update. Many people abused the /me command and claimed to be a ROBLOX Admin. This will also stop the scam bots that are abusing the /me command. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly, this makes this a perfect change without flaw. But there are many things I think the staff should consider to reduce this extremely. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, I am just glad the ROBLOX Admins group and the Administrator badge come along with the staff uniform, they can really identify if someone is a legit staff member. I really want them to go as what they said about terminating imposter accounts. I think it is fair and justified among all they did. I think they should be, in fact, punished in front of everyone as a way of giving them an idea of what it is like doing the wrong. This should not be to humiliate them but to let them know they will be punished for their wrong doings.

3 Likes

Idk about for others, but /me was like the universal thing of “oh thats a bot so don’t listen to it”… it was an easy way of telling it was a bot.

I witnessed a bot last night that didn’t use /me, I actually warned players in game to not fall for that scam. I found myself more worried about this… because… it just seemed more like a real person typing it, less “bot-y”.

Spam bots always gonna spam, I just kinda thought it was easier to spot them with /me. but i totally understand how new players could get juked by this. but i could also see it being the other way around, in our benefit to HAVE /me. i don’t know if new players know about system messages to even begin to think it was one. it’s a little difficult to put myself in the brain of the type of player who would get scammed by this sort of thing.

I personally have a blacklisted word script in my game that I manually add to whenever I see new websites they are trying to send players to.

Void's Anti-Scam [Open Source] this also looks really cool and advanced.

on a different note, if someone is REALLLY worried about this kind of thing, I noticed the spam bots don’t know how to hop universes so I would just make a starting 1-player-only universe with a “play” button to go into the main game. potentially just a kind of ghetto fix for anyone whose reeallly worried about bots

10 Likes

Thank You. Glad me and some other devs can use this to prevent unwanted chat users like scam bots. Speaking of which, we should definitely try taking that script as innovation and inspiration as to make ROBLOX safer. With this being an example, I am sure many of us can make new things that can put these bots to an end. :wink:

4 Likes

This unfortunately doesn’t appear to have stopped the bot activity. Instead of using /me, the bots are now speaking in first person. I’m sure this was to be expected though.

4 Likes

It may not have stopped it, but it’s a good first start. A normal chat message looks much less official than those made with /me, which could be mistaken for a system message due to the rather rare usage of the command.

1 Like

That is a pain to deal with. I don’t want to be too rude but I am sure a decent average person has a lot better to do than to create spam bots that really don’t trick the majority of the community. Hmm… now I think there are a few things to try out:

1. Developers can only let accounts a week or older use chat.
  2. ROBLOX consider removing the ability for users to chat without a verified email. This can definitely put bots to a stop… atleast for a long time.

Either one of these ways are good. I am sure developers should consider it.

3 Likes

If people attempt to do /me will it say (This feature is disabled in this game) will it send the message as a normal message? What will it do?

When the bots stormed the front page with scam games I saw most bot accounts were from 2016-2017 so I don’t think this solution would work.

It’ll just be sent as /me, no processing is done to the message.

2 Likes

Yeah, that is a problem. Though I thought bots would get you permanently banned from what I was told? The thing is, they will just make new bots. This is something not gonna end for a while.

Thank you. However I agree, bots will be just using normal messages, possibly even PM in the future. ROBLOX should implement a filter for words that gets used. ‘If you are seeing this, you are eligible’ and stuff.

Thanks a lot for introducing this update. It was misused in terrible ways sadly.

1 Like

Exactly. If it had a thinking chat bubble, then maybe it’d be better.

I know some bots abuse temporary e-mail to get verified.

Pretty scary if you think about it.

the worst part about the bot scam epedemia is that they completely take over the account and start sending those messages through the scammed accounts.
the best way to filter out all the bot messages is to take it from its source. im pretty sure the link has passed through here a couple times since i got notified by them.

all messages go through the chat Validator. adding a restriction to certain word combinations to be used you’ll narrow down the possibilities for bots to send scam messages in what ever kind of chat; pm, /me, general, etc. ofc this also narrows down the word combination usage for players but the chance normal players would use certain word combination occasionally is really small.

That’s kinda scary to think about honestly. It is almost impossible to deal with these bots now. Because people will always find a way to get around. It is really annoying and gives a lot of crap many staff members have to deal with. I really hope the staff can find some way to taking care of this and possibly giving a harsh punishment to the person managing these bots.

1 Like