Inappropriate filenames cause mesh to not upload

If your mesh file has a name that is considered inappropriate, Roblox Studio will ask you to change the name while in studio. In this example, I was uploading an upper right leg.

However, once you change the name to something that would be considered acceptable, the mesh results in an empty MeshPart, and leaves the following error in output.

20:40:52.829 - Unable to publish MeshPart: HTTP 422 (HTTP/1.1 422 Inappropriate name or description.)
20:41:05.146 - MeshContentProvider failed to process https://assetgame.roblox.com/asset/?id=1041801890 because Error reading mesh data: empty mesh

Visiting the ID of the mesh on-site shows that it appears to be Content Deleted. Before the name is changed, the mesh appears to be in studio, behind the window. This happens every time I upload this leg, and has happened in the past with a previous mesh that was considered to have an inappropriate name.

It’s not too much of an issue to get around, seeing as I can simply rename my file outside of Roblox, but it still leaves a bit of inconvenience.

15 Likes

Just had my builder report he couldn’t upload a mesh named “Lights” either.

7 Likes

These are file names, not a product. Studio shouldn’t be doing this. All it does is inconvenience developers.

Not to mention the name of a mesh asset is totally inconsequential to the developer.

6 Likes

The file names are what’s used for asset names on the site. The names for these matter if the meshes are searched for in the toolbox or will be made open to public domain. untitled.fbx becomes:

Mesh Public-Facing: https://www.roblox.com/library/1041948420/untitled
Mesh Asset: https://www.roblox.com/library/1041948407/RenderMesh
Texture Asset: https://www.roblox.com/library/1041948415/Image

so that’s why it’s being filtered. I don’t particularly like this though because it means you only get to name your meshes in-Studio if their name is detected as inappropriate – otherwise you have to break your workflow and go to the Develop page to rename them. It would be nice if when uploading meshes we got the prompt for publishing a new model/etc:

This way it doesn’t matter what the file name is, and we can easily specify the name without changing the filename (which might be something like torso_upper_ricky_v1_u3) or going to the develop page after it’s published.

2 Likes

I’d have to personally disagree on that. For how often I’m uploading meshes, having to load up that extra window every time, especially to prevent this inconvenience, would be a much greater break of workflow.

Most of the time, meshes don’t even need renaming, a description, or any other setting put upon a model. In the same aspect as decals, meshes are oftentimes for our own use, and not uploaded for distribution through Roblox’s library system.

The toolbox can be used even for private meshes, but it sounds like you aren’t using it. Since you upload meshes often, how frequently do you utilize the web asset, if at all? If rarely, how would not creating a web asset to begin with impact you?

If it doesn’t matter one way or the other, it may be better to just ditch it entirely and give the upload a generic name like Shaksie suggested – no issue with filtering that way. If someone wants to publish a mesh to the public domain or their private toolbox, they can upload the mesh through the Develop page. Does this improve your workflow?

1 Like

My question is why is “UpperRL” considered not appropriate?

4 Likes

While the meshes may not need to be distributed through Roblox’s library system, I am still often put in situations where I’m uploading meshes for a game I’m working on with a friend, along with sharing various meshes publicly through Twitter.

I believe the toolbox doesn’t create IDs for uploaded meshes? Correct me if I’m wrong on that, I usually use studio to upload meshes, with most of my development work staying within Blender.

While it would be nice to just have everything be a generic filename, a behavior MeshParts used to have, that wouldn’t currently work too well with this issue here. Right now meshes currently take the name of whatever the mesh file is called, and the only way to give every upload a generic name would be to give every file a generic name, making it harder to know what file contains what. Sure, folders may help, but with generic names like “UpperRL”, I’m not sure how much further I could really go with making generic names.

I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to say with that last point. If you mean currently uploading through the develop page, that’s sadly not the case right now. If you mean as a neat feature Roblox would add, similar to uploading decals, that would actually be quite splendid. If I didn’t get what you were trying to say with that, could you please reply clarifying what you meant?

The mesh toolbox asset is created along with the mesh and texture assets for the mesh you upload. Even if the toolbox asset was not created, the other two would still exist. Omitting the toolbox asset, we’d lose the following functionality:

• Meshes show up in Develop page on site
  • Meshes show up in Inventory on site
  • Meshes show up in Library searches
  • Meshes show up in the toolbox (if you’re not giving meaningful names to meshes, this more than likely doesn’t matter)

Essentially without the toolbox asset, meshes are like unions. You don’t see unions in your inventory or in the toolbox, but they’re still there, and you can give them to other people by publishing them as a model or sharing a rbxl/rbxm file.

By generic name I meant ROBLOX would automatically give it a generic name on upload e.g. “RenderMesh”. You would not have to change the names of the fbx files you’re uploading.

Yes, I meant as a new feature since mesh uploading via Develop is not currently supported. The proposed feature is that when meshes are uploaded via Studio, they’re more like unions in the sense that they don’t show up in the toolbox/develop page though can still be used in-game and shared through models/local files, but when published from the Develop page they behave like they do now. The intent of this change is so that file name doesn’t matter when uploading from Studio.

3 Likes

Oh! I thought you were talking about a different feature entirely which I wasn’t too familiar with. Considering the only times I release meshes through the library is by making it into a model, the toolbox asset is near useless for me. The only uses I’ve had for it recently are digging up older meshes that I have previously uploaded, and checking if a pending mesh has been approved or not.

That would be a good behavior in my opinion, for my own usage. I’m not quite sure if that opinion would reflect the same on other users, however, so I can’t say the same for them.

This would also be a rather nice change. With my main studio usage being exclusive to opening up studio just to upload meshes, an on-site alternative would be fantastic! It would be a nice cut between uploading things with a public ID, and local files which are intended for specific games.

1 Like