Incident Report: Large Spike in Teleport Failures: "Attempted to teleport to a place that is restricted"

I can confirm that my game is getting these occurrences too.

3 Likes

typically those error codes are from issues regarding moderation, ie. the place youā€™re trying to teleport to is under review. if this isnā€™t the case, can you let me know here? specific placeIds/universeIds would help us debug too

2 Likes

This has been happening to me as well, but only when I teleport a player to another playerā€™s specific server via friends (TeleportToPlaceInstance)

https://gyazo.com/b214c8cd35cfe8322f1f56d133a5207c

2 Likes

I donā€™t know if this glitch is related or is a completely new glitch but on recent game updates. As inā€¦ within an hour or so of updating the game - teleporters refuse to function. It will either crash the game or teleport you to the same place. I know itā€™s not the code because it actually works expect when itā€™s in a recent update.

Like I would play an old game I made with teleporter no changes to the codeā€¦ functions fine
Update the gameā€¦ teleporter ceases to function.

2 Likes

hey @katclap - if you followed the developer documentation, your code is likely not set up to work. weā€™re in the process of correcting that page now, but please refer to this post:

in a nutshell, thereā€™s a bug with the function you use to retrieve placeId/jobId.
hereā€™s some example code of what GetPlayerPlaceInstanceAsync actually returns:

local currentInstance, placeId, jobId;
local success, errMsg = pcall(function()
    currentInstance, _, placeId, jobId = TeleportService:GetPlayerPlaceInstanceAsync(friendId)
end)

hope that helps.

3 Likes

hi @Arc_1996, which teleport functions are you referring to specifically? if you have a link to your game having issues, I could take a look at the problem youā€™re experiencing.

2 Likes

@pizza_shadows In my case it is certainly not related to moderation. It seems related to reserved servers running a place created by SavePlaceAsync. I feel that occassionally players are unable to teleport from the lobby to a reserved server running on a machine in other geographical region. Here is my latest log of the event in my game:
[date time / which one of 4 game maps / player time zone as per UTC / player name]
[12.8. 2:9:23 TeleFail/svr 4/zone -5/Drag0nKi11er6872]
[12.8. 2:9:6 TeleFail/svr 3/zone -5/Drag0nKi11er6872]
[5.8. 3:47:41 TeleFail/svr 2/zone -4/NEKO102020]
[5.8. 3:47:36 TeleFail/svr 4/zone -4/NEKO102020]
[5.8. 3:47:9 TeleFail/svr 2/zone -5/slugger835]
[5.8. 3:46:57 TeleFail/svr 2/zone -5/MrNewAYOUS]
[5.8. 3:43:45 TeleFail/svr 2/zone -3/24laila6]
[5.8. 3:43:28 TeleFail/svr 2/zone -4/ellb2112]
[5.8. 3:43:27 TeleFail/svr 2/zone -4/mayhamay108]
[5.8. 3:41:49 TeleFail/svr 2/zone -3/haruka7u]
[5.8. 3:39:55 TeleFail/svr 2/zone -7/macabigon]
[5.8. 3:38:23 TeleFail/svr 2/zone -4/martynagaete]
[23.7. 9:38:38 TeleFail/svr 4/zone +8/gjyspirite]
[23.7. 9:38:34 TeleFail/svr 3/zone +8/gjyspirite]
[23.7. 9:38:30 TeleFail/svr 2/zone +8/gjyspirite]
[23.7. 9:38:1 TeleFail/svr 1/zone +8/gjyspirite]
[21.7. 6:55:52 TeleFail/svr 1/zone +8/ouyangqingyu]
[21.7. 6:55:25 TeleFail/svr 4/zone +8/ouyangqingyu]
[21.7. 6:55:13 TeleFail/svr 2/zone +8/ouyangqingyu]
[21.7. 6:51:41 TeleFail/svr 3/zone +8/ouyangqingyu]

1 Like

Thanks for these logs. I apologize for the delay in responding. Will try to look more into this situation.

2 Likes

I am still getting this issue.

I am also getting this issue: I am trying to teleport to a player using GetPlayerPlaceInstanceAsync() and TeleportToPlaceInstance() and it is returning an error that the player is offline when he isnā€™t.

I am using Player:GetFriendsOnline() to get all the online friends which is saying the user is online and so is the website.

This issue is quite confusing. I hope you guys are able to fix it soon.

1 Like

Iā€™ll PM you for additional details.

2 Likes

Its happening to me too. I am making a horror game, it wonā€™t teleport me to the game inside of it, but it says its restricted when its inside the game explorer.

1 Like

@XxScottieBoixX is the horror game a different game altogether, or is it a place within the game explorer? by default, you canā€™t teleport to different universes unless you have the option enabled.

4 Likes

I have the universe option enabled, but I think it depends. Since the game is private, I can only play it. Sometimes it says ā€œunable to joinā€ except in a foreign language. I think the universes depend on the game status, which idk why though.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been having issues with this - it seems like TeleportService:TeleportToPlaceInstance only works serverside, despite the wiki insinuating that it will work clientside (how I originally programmed it).

After I moved the teleport code to the server my teleports started to work again and I stopped getting this error.

1 Like

@JustDevv can you PM me your client teleport code?

I just want to add: Understandably, teleport can be difficult to use because of various factors - inability to test in studio, lack of feedback to developers, complexity of the feature itself and more. Weā€™re actively working on improving all of these things - we want teleport to be easy to use and for developers to use it and be happy with it. I personally have an example of client-side TeleportService:TeleportToPlaceInstance working in my test game, but it took me a good amount of time to get it working, because of the complexities involved. So, I understand - sometimes, things donā€™t work when they should be working.

4 Likes

I have something to add:

Attemped to teleport to a place that is restricted is that you used a restricted gameā€™s ID in a teleportservice. Make sure that you put in IDā€™s from games that are not privated. This is still an incident so there could still be problems by this. The other day, DataStoreServices were unavailable to function. As @pizza_shadows has been a real helpful helper here I have been very thankful that he has been helping and asking questions. If this is still a problem, hopefully they soon recover it. I believe this post was very helpful, helping in an incident report that was existing for over a year now and I really want this chaos to end because it is pushing a success behind to most people. Hopefully this post pulls something up by significantly recovering this topic by considering to so things. This topic is very important and hopefully the bug gets fixed. This is pushing a lot of people back and I have heard that Roblox is looking at it, thank @pizza_shadows for questioning and @2blox2quit announcing this investigation.

1 Like

Had same problem :frowning:

1 Like

This is also still happening for me. My hunch is that there are specific permission settings assigned to users which prevent me from joining with them (based on the error message). I can consistently join with some players, but not others. Having someone as a friend doesnā€™t seem to affect if a teleport gets blocked or not. The platform of both users also doesnā€™t seem to matter, as I fail to join with PC and Mobile servers.

Are there any updates on this?

For context, what I am doing is that I am generating a reserved server, and then teleporting 2 paired players to the generated server.

local code = TeleportService:ReserveServer(placeId)
local players = {player1, player2}
TeleportService:TeleportToPrivateServer(placeId,code,players)

Error Output:

@gamedev1414 @KlavierSpecter thank you for the reports. Weā€™re looking into this further.

5 Likes

This has always been a bit of a problem for my game Starscape, which I have been able to largely mitigate through retrying teleports, but it is currently impacting it heavily and retrying the teleport rarely leads to success. Started getting worse sometime yesterday (February 17th). I am using TeleportToPrivateServer in a lobby place and the TeleportInitFailed event is firing very often with the Unauthorized enum. It is blocking many people from playing the game since they cannot get past the lobby. The issue appears to be coming in bursts which randomly clear up after some time.

I have not made an update to my game in weeks, so the change in behavior was not caused by one of my own updates.

12 Likes