Increase Highlight Limit

I love using highlights for creating visual effects, highlighting important game elements, and making parts of the world feel independent. It’s been incredibly helpful.

This feature was “added” in 2021 and you can still only have ~31 persistent highlights in the world at one time. This is possible to work around, culling/models for example, but builds up too much technical debt. I don’t believe this should be a problem for developers to tackle.

In a situation where highlights would be a great addition - I shouldn’t have to weigh my usage of them against eachother.

If this is a technical problem, we should at least have the ability to set a MaxDistance with a smooth transition.

58 Likes

I think this would be good, as the limit does not make much sense, as highlighting is not insanely performance heavy, as a limit like that would suggest.

7 Likes

Your response made 0 sense. You cannot conjoin a sentence like that as it made it redundant.

4 Likes

The limit definitely needs to be increased. 31 is pathetically low, since it takes into account all highlights in the game, not just the ones in workspace/enabled. It feels like highlights are still in a beta because of this (as well as the bug where they’ll stay on parts even after being disabled/destroyed)

2 Likes

Support. With NPC enemies in my game, I usually use highlights to allow the player to see where the enemies are. This number sometimes exceeds the maximum, and it prevents vision of the enemies when off the screen.

Haven’t seen much of a performance impact either; my only guess is that it could use memory.

2 Likes

Sorry for the confusing response. I wrote this message quickly. I was trying to state that the limit did not make sense.

5 Likes

I wholeheartedly support this because I’ve stopped developing a game that heavily uses X-rays, using highlights as vision, and, because I can only obtain 31 highlights in the game, I stopped working on it.

Maybe I’ll pick it back up when they come up with a higher figure for the highlight limit.

4 Likes

Would love to see easing with distance. I find myself using highlights quite often in my game, sometimes it becomes an essential part of an art-style. I would like these limits to be removed as well, since sometimes for small periods of time these limits could be met. Abruptly hiding extra highlights is terrible!! :persevere:

4 Likes

I would also love to see highlights support added onto mobile, as highlights do now show on mobile devices.

1 Like

Highlights are supported on mobile however do not render their outline for performance reasons iirc.

1 Like

I think this post sums it up pretty well as to why this limitation exists:

2 Likes

Even then this is a poor philosophy. Why don’t they leave performance up to the developers of their games? Despite things like this it is very easy to make your game lag out. The limit still makes no sense

5 Likes

I support this idea, a limit to 31 is tremendously low.
We need a higher limit, like 100…

Alternatively ROBLOX could hide highlights that are above the limit that are further away like particles.

3 Likes

It’s because the game has shared usage of the server as other games do. There does need to be limits on this sort of thing unfortunately, unless roblox gets better servers.

1 Like

Roblox servers don’t have a rendering pipeline so this shouldn’t be an issue, of anything this is a limitation imposed for clients rather than anything server related.

1 Like

You know you can overcome the Highlight limit right? Like grouping, grouping a bunch of baseparts and adding a highlight to the model only counts as one but covers the entire model.

As seen here, 32 highlights is enough, you just need to use them the right way. You can also add 1 highlight to multiple models as long as they’re under the same model.

2 Likes

This doesn’t work if you need more than 31 different colours, for example, damage indicators that need to fade in and out independently. This also doesn’t work if you want an outline but have the objects visible next to each other in the same frame because the outline will instead wrap around the entire group rather than each model.

On top of that, managing how highlights are grouped is a struggle in itself; you have to sacrifice a usable Explorer tree for the highlights to even work.

1 Like

Wait, the limit is 31? I thought it was 50 lol. That’s even worse.
Anyway I agree, I found myself avoiding highlight instances altogether at times bc I knew the limit would just be hard to manage.

2 Likes

Bump. Need this limit increased asap! Why not increase it to 100, or maybe 500?

I don’t like Roblox’s philosophy of “it’s for performance reasons”. Performance should be left up to the developer of the game, not the game engine itself. Also, there are plenty of things making games laggy otherwise.

2 Likes