Increase Range Limit of Lights

bump,7 long years since this post was created and all we got was a few messages from the staff about how they were looking into it.

5 Likes

Another bump, Roblox has so many desperately needed change but this is definitely one the top one.

3 Likes

The implementation of this change would help me create lights that look more realistic and allow the player to see farther in night situations without wasting time creating and interacting with multiple spotlight instances.

7 Likes

Please please PLEASE!!

Maximum range of 60 with a surfacelight. CAN’T SEE ANYTHING!

7 Likes

I definitely agree with this - 60 studs is tiny!

7 Likes

Dissapointingly, increasing light range was not on the roadmap. It could be part of a different update. But currently, it looks like there is no news of light range increasing anytime soon. :frowning: Creator Roadmap: Spring 2024 Edition

2 Likes

Roblox Reallly needs to unclamp the range completley

I HAD TO USE A POINT LIGHT THE MOST DESPRESSING LOOKING LIGHT that was the only way to overcome the limit for my case (roblos plsssss) :sob:

4 Likes

Ive been waiting for this for so long. I feel like future lighting goes unused in a lot of roblox games still. One day i hope to actually see most games use future lighting because i hesvily like it more in comparison to the others. But i dont think people would be willing to use it much with such small range.

6 Likes

bump! this would be an INCREDIBLY useful update to the engine that would allow us to add large casting light sources like FLARES into our games! it’s been 7 long years…

3 Likes

Crazy how roblox implement videos ads within games but won’t even bother with making the lighting a non hair ripping experience. Seven years and we got one response from staff well over a year ago. My question about lighting was conveniently ignored in the QA thread. Not a single peep of lighting in the roadmap either. This is ridiculous at this point.

6 Likes

Hi. Just replying so this gets seen.

An increased (or even better, uncapped) range would be extremely useful.

Please implement this.

4 Likes

I totally agree, there’s no reason to clamp it to 60 of all numbers, it’s not even a binary number like 64 or 128, the only downside is shadow resolution BUT that is not actually a flaw, all Roblox has to do is detect shadows’ distance from the origin source and blur the shadows slightly. This masking effect would be effective because light in real life scatters.

4 Likes

roblox prefers to prioritize mobile players over any other device so the likelihood of this ever happening is pretty much 0, if mobile cant have it no one can ¯\ _ (ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

its apparently voxel lighting jank thats happening at light range over 100.
maybe with new voxel grid, we will have this nonsense fixed.

5 Likes

don’t understand why people keep saying “Roblox is prioritizing mobile players!!!11!” for absolutely every single thing.

Yes, Roblox does prioritize mobile. Yes, they have used that reason to not include features for ages. but I don’t think people get that we’re in 2024, mobile has evolved tenfold since only a few years ago – such as with the A15 Bionic chip, for example.

There are situations, many of them, where Roblox do prioritize mobile players to not include features, but a simple range of a light isn’t something performance-related, but rather most likely something engine-related.
Not everything is a mobile issue.

15 Likes

Even today though, companies produce the cheapest devices with low end chips from 5 – 10+ years ago, put them in cheap tablets or whatever, and people buy them. Due to this, performance problems are going to be persistent within Roblox for a lot of mobile players.

That being said though, I do agree that it could just be an engine limitation considering the 60 stud limit has been around since dynamic lights were added to Roblox in mid-2013.

3 Likes

for me there is no limit.
:thinking:
very strange…

2 Likes

Even on mid-range PCs there is still voxel grid jank… What hardware you’re on does not fix that. Also, the light grid could be scaled up on low end devices to solve that but the fact that it is limited shows thait is most likely a engine limitation.

1 Like

Yes, but in a broader sense of ‘able to play anywhere on any device’ push that has been bubbling for a few years.

Not necessarily favoring one platform over another but locking aspects of mechanics into a ‘lowest common denominator’ state of development to accommodate that push.

It isn’t for the benefit of players or developers as much as it is to maximize monetization to the widest range of paying customers.

If anything, it isn’t mobile that is the priority. It’s monetization.

3 Likes

There really needs to be an experimental features setting, where we can adjust values like this at our own risk. Beta features would work for this but that’s exclusively used for things that are actually being worked on.

I would love to see hack-week features be put into the engine, under the guise that it’s an experimental feature and may break games entirely. Volumetric fog, increased range of lights, curved surface GUIs, etc.

2 Likes