Increase Range Limit of Lights

Some hacky solutions I found is sort of adding invisible nodes of light, the main problems with it is that you’d ideally want to unload these manually and want to use raycasting to avoid having these nodes clipping through walls altogether. Otherwise they do the job pretty nice.

In this example it is a part with a light, welded to a handle, pretty unideal if you have multiple players wandering around with them, as the points of light would just clip and shine through the walls. So again, ideally, raycasting.

Some others examples I heard is shrinking your map, as roblox does allow things to get pretty small but I’d be warry of hit detection at smaller scales.

At the end of the day, I don’t see how using niche, rather performance-demanding tricks, is better then just increasing the range. Or maybe sometime in the future just reworking the lighting engine again, since apparently increasing the range is that scary, then maybe the engine itself is the issue.

7 Likes

What if SurfaceLights supported more shapes? Projections are always lighter with one shape!

5 Likes

Pretty sure I’ve seen this used in Blackhawk Rescue Mission 5, made me “wow” when I first saw it.

3 Likes

Can’t wait to hear more from you

2 Likes

So if Roblox is mainly for Mobile users, why should that stop games designed for high performance PCs? Roblox already disabled Future lighting for Mobile when it came out and was stuck to shadow map, just make it so Mobile is still limited to 60 if it cannot run it. But yet again even my phone from 2016 can run Roblox perfectly fine at max graphics.

7 Likes

I think it’s because it’s not that simple. You can’t just go enabling features for PC and disabling some for Mobile. Also, I would guess that part of the reason is beecause Roblox is doing just fine; they have a massive playerbase, so why waste resources on a feature like this? Why go through the trouble?

2 Likes

You can, either what’s the point of a multiplatform engine.

4 Likes

If they decided to implement a feature that can’t work on mobile, then they run the risk of developers using that feature for gameplay when it does not work for 50% of Roblox’s playerbase. At that point, people who were arguing that Roblox cares too much about mobile will just turn into people arguing that Roblox released a half-baked feature when they start getting complaints and get frustrated.

2 Likes

I think the Best thing to do is write a petition to Roblox and wait until this update comes.

3 Likes

Support, I think we should have “Infinite Ranged Lights” instead of removing the limit (because they can just say “it affects performance” otherwise).

4 Likes

@AndroidOyuncuHD @all
Actually, what I am trying to say is not to remove the Boundary completely. If we remove the limit completely and set the range to 1 Million, our game will crash. What I’m talking about is they can do 1000 or at least 500 maximum. But this is not a one-person job. It happens if a lot of people write the same thing. I can give an example of this. If you’ve witnessed it, Roblox has brought an update of animated emoticons. One person objected to it. but nothing happened. After the number of opponents increased, roblox offered a choice: Classic Faces or Animated Faces. The same thing can happen here.

5 Likes

i’ve already shown that light range can be set to any arbitrary value without the engine crashing…

3 Likes

The engine can handle it, and it runs well; so what’s stopping the default range limit from being increased?

3 Likes

They probably need more statistical data across many devices, and stress tests across said devices.

Not even mentioning someone at roblox would have to go through the effort to do all that, even if a community member did get a lot of data, the company would likely check for themselves in the end.

Though to speak more realistically, these changes come at random, maybe someones already in works, we don’t know. Just the other day I saw the promise of shaders to roblox, and the devforum always brings some ground breaking tech every other month.

2 Likes

Hello again, I think I may have misunderstood, sorry. When I say Game Crashes, I mean quite a lot of your screen freezes and the character goes into the boot. then it gets better but after a short while the same thing happens again. A maximum of 500 is sufficient. At least, I think so.

2 Likes

Actually you are right. We don’t know what they’re doing. But we don’t know if they’re working on it either.which is actually not that hard. they will only make the range of the light up to 500. This is everything. I don’t think there is anything that will work for hours.

2 Likes

“character goes into the boot”? what?

1 Like

Yes, when an item is made too big or the light range limit is too high, like the one we talked about, the character gets in the bag, can get kicked out of the game, and so on and so forth.

1 Like

To anyone wondering, they did not add a choice and you cannot buy new classic faces, but rather use ones you already have.

1 Like

Still seeing this range limit at 60 studs is still a joke not gonna lie, from this pic you can clearly see the 60 studs limit

It gets worse when you mount the light up high, e.g. ~40 studs here, which means it’s basically useless if you mount a spotlight 60+ studs above ground

Still don’t understand why Roblox would spend resources on animating faces and blinking eyes, but not massively improve the lighting engine by as little as doubling to 120 ://///

10 Likes