Increase Range Limit of Lights

It is a disproportionate amount of work for the amount of value it adds, and features are not worked on the minute the feature request is posted. It can take upwards of six months to clear red tape and get things roadmapped, broken out, other priorities cleared, blockers resolved, etc.

So yes, absolutely. This is the the speed large engineering companies move at.

2 Likes

If you don’t think this doesn’t add enough value, then I suggest you scroll up and look at what people are saying :man_shrugging:

And damn, that is a depressingly slow speed, lol.

3 Likes

sorry, it is my honest mistake to expect good, up to date lighting control from roblox, had i realized the engine was so ancient and unable to support these outrageous desires i would’ve abandoned this long ago! seriously though how can you not see that people want and need this, and to light a big room up with like 5 lights when it could be done with just one is not good at all. its not 2013 anymore.

5 Likes

That’s because you’re thinking from the perspective of a user. Also you’re willingly and knowingly inserting meaning into my words when that meaning is not there, let’s have a little more respect. CC @dallasparade

I am saying that this is no more important than the hundreds of other feature requests waiting on the forum - The current limit is not good, but it is good enough for most use-cases, and that’s simply the reality. There’s a lot more very impactful changes backlogged that take significantly less work. This means it takes a lot of time to get something like this moving.

And yes, it is very slow.

2 Likes

at least some transparency on where they are at with this feature would be nice.

8 Likes

Agree on the post above. Its been mentioned very frequently and its popular enough to maintain a presence on the forums. I don’t even see any word on the roadmap. I hope with the new Voxel stuff they are putting out, a possible adjustment will arrive alongside that.

5 Likes

bumping this.

still cannot believe roblox hasnt done anything about this when the engine is able to genuinely handle it properly.

i will say, shadows are SLIGHTLY screwed. but other than that i do not see why this is impossible to do.

8 Likes

roblox should give us inf light range and just choose if we want our games optimized or not

11 Likes

“Thankfully after years of having this issue Roblox has finally seen it and fixed it” - :older_man:

All spotlight’s range are at 60 and ngl it does not feel like it is at all

6 Likes

The fact that we have not had an update from any staffs or such is pathetic

3 Likes

Chat, we are getting 8K Image Support before increased Light Ranges and GTA6. :saluting_face:

17 Likes

Okay that’s actually awesome tho, I haven’t heard of this until now

2 Likes

Aint no way we’re finna get gta 6, geometry dash update 2.2, and Drake vs Kendrick beef before Roblox adds a feature we’ve been asking for for 7 years.

In all seriousness I really need this for my game; First image is what it’s supposed to look like second is from a distance

Goddamn that’s ugly :sob:

11 Likes

we still gonna get gta 6 before this though :sob:

7 Likes

BUMP! ROBLOx PLEASE HOW HAS THIS NOT BEEN SEENN YET :sob:

4 Likes

It probably has they just don’t wanna do anything about it :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

I have had to do some crazy stuff to work around this in my builds, it would be very useful.

2 Likes

For everyone here, the reason why the light range isn’t uncapped yet is because of Roblox’s “Hybrid” lighting model. As you might have noticed, even on max graphics in the distance future lighting will convert to ShadowMap/Voxel lighting. This is their “Hybrid” system that basically determines the distance where shadow mapping gets converted to Voxel lighting. The issue is that the extended light range would cause severe artifacts because the light would be bigger than the future lighting radius, so this will probably have to wait until Roblox fully rolls out their newer lighting model that unifies Future with a different lighting model (the one which was announced at RDC 2023). I would just give it some more time and wait what Roblox will have to say this year at RDC. I believe there are some big things coming this year.

12 Likes

honestly, i can live with that, this is taking WAY too long.
I joined roblox YEARS ago and theres still this stupid limit :sob::sob::sob:

2 Likes

Bump. Theres no way roblox havent increased this limit. Its just ridiculously small.

2 Likes