Increase Range Limit of Lights

Future lighting will be fully supported as a beta feature on mobile (android support) by September, now if they didn’t increase the range, like bro if this is performance intensive, future lighting is also perf intensive.

2 Likes

The amount of time it takes roblox to add features like these would have made people develop stockholm syndrome at this point. Worst of all is that there is little to no communciation as to what’s going on behind the scenes and all we do is speculate.

That being said I am excited to see the new things that will be added

3 Likes

Fully support this, the 60 stud limit is stupid and arbitrary.

3 Likes

As soon as you try to make an outdoor-ish environment or even just a large room, this limit becomes incredibly noticeable. The limit must be raised.

1 Like

Isn’t this a different problem? This thread is about the 60 stud limit from light source to illuminated object.

You are illustrating that distant(from the camera) lighting is not rendered at all. Increasing the 60 stud range wouldn’t change this problem.

another example of your problem, the further away the camera gets, the more lights vanish:

closer camera, the light is rendered:

2 Likes

That is basically exactly what I said here, the reason this happens is because of Roblox’s “Hybrid” lighting. In the far distance lights update far slower and lack shadows, I believe in the distance those lights aren’t even rendered as future lighting anymore, it becomes some sort of Voxel lighting hence why there is such a incredibly slow update rate.

2 Likes

Right, I was just pointing out to someone that their problem(the long distance render) was a separate thing from the 60 stud problem.

3 Likes

I have no hopes for this ever happening considering how many things on the roadmap are pushed back or canned entirely. Every other engine in the world seems to handle long light ranges no problem…

10 Likes

There’s a flag and they can just turn it on

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure you need external tools to enable the flag though.

2 Likes

strange

they nerfed it just before they released it man oml

5 Likes

nah the 2020 version looked so much better :sob:

WHY CANT ROBLOX CHANGE IT BACK :pleading_face:

1 Like

Does that work on other player’s clients?

1 Like

You can turn fast flags on locally only, everyone else would need to have it on in order to see the change

1 Like

Saw these in the most recent client changelog diff. I really hope this is the start of more lighting control.

9 Likes

Could it be that Lighting.Intent is the attenuation? Flat would be what it is rn (very bad looking) and Realistic being quadratic.
(tho im not sure why cant we define attenuation curve sharpness ourselves, like in Godot)
There’s also Technology.Unified added, which is deprecated right away?
And I assume lighting Quality would be voxel grid or some stuff with future loghting, anything really.
I guess they do work on lighting afterall (and for some reason it feels like it’d be done by the early 2025, but i doubt it atp)

4 Likes

It’s just a way of hiding the API EnumItem, even though this way it will still show up in auto completion.

2 Likes

Attenuation has me thinking the light behaves across material as if it was just a smooth, flat pattern; like the 1st generation(s) of roblox lighting. Quality enum explains itself with its name.

Regardless I think this is still indicative that work is being put into the lightning and deep inside I’m just HOPING that this leads to extended lighting range.

4 Likes

Just bumping this to make sure it stays relevant

4 Likes

Bump!!! I can’t even make proper streetlights or car headlights with this 60 stud lighting limit. Also, if I use ShadowMap lighting and I use attachments/multiple light sources to illuminate past 60 studs (for high-beams in a vehicle), the lights just break off, and don’t look realistic at all. Please add this, Roblox!

2 Likes