Increase Range Limit of Lights

Bump, hopefully this gets extended (or just remove the cap).

2 Likes

Bump, I’m trying to make a spotlight tower for some environmental effects and it can’t even light up what it’s supposed to be looking at. I’ve been waiting for this since the first time I used a light instance

2 Likes

bumping till the prayers are answered

6 Likes

Once again, nothing about extending the lighting rage in the developer roadmap. These limits are atrocious at this point and we are nearing seven years since this was requested.

6 Likes

save us from this pointlight prison, roblox gods. you are better than this

5 Likes

bump, hopefully the new light grid mentioned in the roadmap will fix this

2 Likes

there’s a recent fflag that’s now in studio called RenderUnifiedLighting5. it appears to expose those properties but it seems like it’s just another face for the lighting technology

Intent: Realistic
Quality: Quality

Intent: Flat
Quality: Quality

Intent: Realistic
Quality: Performance

Intent: Flat
Quality: Performance

no change to the light attenuation tho

5 Likes

so… its just overglorified Voxel, ShadowMap and Future?
Unless they want to later on add new features, this just sounds lame. (and ig thats the punishment we get for putting curiosity where it doesnt belong at)

1 Like

Me and my team are currently also facing this problem. As you can see from the attached images, the light range is absolutely abysmal for large scale applications such as this. We would really like to see a fix for this.

The only workaround for this right now is to add a long part with surface lights, but the shape of the light will be wrong, as they only cast rectangular lights.

4 Likes

roblox hates doing nice things for the community

4 Likes

BUMP AGAIN ROBLOX PLEASE DO YOU HAVE TIN HAT PEOPLE WORKING FOR YOU?? :sob:

3 Likes

nahh. dynamic heads more important than light range

4 Likes

They are working on the light range extension. This is not being ignored.

At RDC, i talked to a rendering engineer and the main concern is the new light grid.

You can already try to use extended light ranges via a fast flag, but you will notice in the distance that lighting has significant artifacts and renders weirdly. This is because roblox uses a “hybrid” model which was talked about by @zeuxcg when he was working on FiB phase 3, basically you have a radius around your camera, within this radius the engine uses per pixel shadow mapped lighting if Future is enabled. Outside of this radius the engine transitions the lighting to ShadowMap lighting.

Within the radius where pixel lighting is rendered there is also a distance where lights disable their shadows.

The issue is, voxel lighting has this “importance” system as far as I know, distant voxels update significantly slower than voxels near the camera.

The light range which the fast flag allows you to use (240 studs) is larger than this hybrid radius as far as I know and it ends up causing problems.

Someone else previously made a post in here where they changed the range via cheat engine, you can see distant lighting on voxel based lighting is incredibly buggy, same with future.

So they cant just roll this out yet but they are working on it.

I couldnt get much more information because the engineer wasnt sure if they were allowed to tell me more about this feature, but this is all I was able to find.

18 Likes

Good thing they are working on increasing the range of lights, but for now we have this workaround (I haven’t tried this yet)

2 Likes

This is dumb. Over 6 - 7 years after this feature request was submitted the roblox staff still haven’t noticed.

There is so many requests on Roblox, it would be so nice to wake up one day to a massive overhaul to everything. E.g. more console features, website features, and of course, studio features. “Powering imagination” shouldn’t be about small, stupid limits. It should be creating with no borders. I understand that a limit of like 1000 studs would be reasonable, but 60? Come on, what were you thinking Roblox?

Continuing on about “Powering imagination” if the player lags their own client out, that should be their problem, not Roblox’s. Unreal Engine or Unity doesn’t put borders this strict, so why Roblox? It’s a kid’s game.

Let us have more freedom Roblox, and then maybe, just maybe, the community would love you a bit better.

What game are you making?? :skull: :pray: :sob:

Why did 2020’s look so much better?

5 Likes

This seems like lighting attenuation, im really not sure how they broke it like that.

1 Like