Increased Payouts for Subscriptions Within Experiences

This is an amazing update! Good Job over there at the developer relations! :slight_smile:

27 Likes

This is a really neat update - Although I think to make subscriptions of any substantial use, a Robux solution is needed. Would like to see this in the near future.

51 Likes

roblox earns less money from plugins now (roblox gets a 10% cut to handle fees)

i love subscriptions and getting more robux from them to fund more stuff is great

11 Likes

Currently subscriptions do not count towards the algorithm. When will this be added? It makes no sense that everything else counts and subscriptions don’t. We are actively being harmed by choosing subscriptions over gamepasses.

24 Likes

this update is not anything good as far as i know

15 Likes

Speaking of subscriptions; any possibility in the near future for updating Roblox Premium prompts? So that developers might get a cut from the initial sale, or something along the lines of that. It would increase its adoption across games, which would lead to higher conversion rates from freemium to paying users.

This API could use some updates.

17 Likes

This is amazing, I didn’t expect you guys to do this honestly. I’m definitely going to look into subscription integrations in the future.

Though for my use case, it’s necessary for third-party experiences to be able to sell my subscription, preferably benefiting from a revenue share.

10 Likes

Its up to you to design something players want, roblox is just making it better for those who manage to do it. If you read the full thread you can even see they’ve provided a case study on how other successful games design their subscriptions

9 Likes

Looking at the documentation of subscriptions, they aren’t and will never be worth it,

why?

To use the documentation example (and adjusted to this update)…

Player pays $9.99 and now I get 999 robux

Nice, SO I now have 999 robux,
I go devex,

999 * 0.0035 (current DevEx rate) = $3.49

if Roblox is claiming they get no tax fees from this, then where does the $6.49 go???

This has to be some sort-of miscommunication right?

20 Likes

They said no platform fee (the 30% one on purchase)

Roblox still gotta pay for the servers your game use and the datastores and can’t afford to provide monetization with no tax at all

10 Likes

Then they should not be advertising this.

9 Likes

Let me highlight a keyword in that sentence.

100% of the Robux

20 Likes

This certainly makes subscriptions more appealing to use. Being able to manage instanced subscriptions will also be a great improvement. I’d also like to be able to update subscriptions without touching current subscribers until their next payment, but I suppose that would be possible by creating a new subscription.

However, the one thing that still concerns me are the refund conditions. I’m not sure if anything has changed since I last read when subscriptions were first released, but it seemed like it was actually possible to go negative and actually end up costing me real-world currency. If real-world currency is held after purchase, I don’t think a refund should be possible once the real-world currency has officially been paid out after the holding period.

5 Likes

Would really appreciate the ability to offer Free trials and free (redeemable) subscriptions etc

6 Likes

:person_facepalming: This is what happens when you can’t care to look around the Docs for 5 minutes of your time…

EDIT: It’s literally already mentioned in the post.

7 Likes

Although I’ve actually been super happy with a lot of the updates recently, subscriptions feel like it’s heavily pushing towards the benefit of Roblox whilst falsely portraying itself as beneficial to the developer.

Charging real money has disadvantages, but the FAQ mentioned that you guys were looking for a solution, so that’s not a main issue. Developers earning Robux is also not the main issue, because that’s how most of us make a living anyway. But these two together, giving the developer Robux whilst charging real money is the issue.

To me, this feels like word-play to make Roblox look more appetizing. I think that the reason developers earn Robux was so that Roblox could benefit from subscriptions, whilst still being able to say “you earn 100%.” to attract more developers. Yes, as someone said the key word was ‘Robux’, but anyone who does not look into it will be misled into thinking that they’re going to earn 100% of the profits from their subscriptions.

It is okay to say Roblox takes a cut, because it provides developers with server hosting, constantly updated tools and a lot of other live-service stuff - any reasonable person would understand and approve of that.

My feedback is please, please, please, give more transparency towards the community - rather than a heavily cherry-coated announcement.

12 Likes

Well I guess some people count Robux as a benefit, you will get more to DevEx. Regardless, the fact that developers will be earning 30% more on renewals is beneficial to them and Roblox itself since this will encourage more developers to implement subscriptions within their experiences.

I don’t think they are being ‘dishonest’ or ‘misleading’ in this post. They didn’t say you’ll be making 100% of the profit, because of course, Roblox will take 70% of your money when you convert which is what every single developer who makes money off of Roblox knows. Misleading would be blatantly saying you’ll be making back 100% of the money they spent.

6 Likes

Yeah, good points, my take was over the top. I’ll remove it from the main reply thread.

5 Likes

Subscriptions are there to supplement gamepasses and dev products, not replace them.

3 Likes

I agree - this specific update is an improvement, but my issue is about Subscriptions as a whole. If the previous issues with subscriptions weren’t present, I wouldn’t be as bothered as I am now. But subscriptions were implemented in a way to benefit Roblox whilst giving all the hurdles to the developer - such as charging real money which significantly decreases the amount of money a developer earns, whilst giving them heavily taxed Robux and announcing that “Developers earn 100% of the Robux from their game.”

Not every developer currently makes money on Roblox. If I were to read this post as a new developer, I would look at it and choose Roblox over other platforms, because why choose another platform when I could choose Roblox. After all, for all I know, I get to keep 100% of the earnings of my game via Robux. It also disguises the real cut of what a developer realistically makes from the money their subscriptions have earned.

It is misleading, and what I think you are mistaking me of doing is accusing them of blatantly lying, which I am not. They did not tell any lies, but they worded the truth to sound a lot better than it actually is.

Roblox takes a large cut, and if they’re going to make announcements saying “You earn 100% of the Robux your game makes” they need to clarify that the Robux you earn does not hold the same monetary value as the Robux the customer bought.

6 Likes