Indoor Dynamic Environment Maps Beta

The Source engine from 2004 literally allows you to manually place cubemaps, but this engine which obviously has the capability to do more things than Source intentionally shouldn’t? GTA San Andreas on mobile has better reflections than this which are realtime and still mostly cubemaps taken from the camera. This is honestly quite embarassing…

10 Likes

How the hell does that make sense? a company with at least over a billion dollars can’t make placeable cubemaps, but a game engine that is older than I am can easily place cubemaps and even make it look way better, while running very well.

And that game engine is the source engine, where it can also control the resolution of each cubemap, from 1x1 to 1024x1024 in csgo, WITH HDR.

5 Likes

Keep in mind though, Source is a special engine, uniquely fitted for HL, Portal, L4D2, etc. If Roblox had an engine like Source, the wide diversity of games would definitely drop, and games would become more realistic. This can ruin some developers work by turning their cartoony style games (Adopt Me) into buggy, realistic messes.

You aren’t limited to the half life textures, sounds, etc. People choose to use them. Team Fortress 2, a very cartoony game, was made in the source engine.

1 Like

You are correct. I’m simply pointing out that if Roblox were to approach game design as the Source engine did, I feel developers would be more limited in what they could do.

This is a bad vision. 10 year old kids are not making these games, 23 year old adults are and these adults are demanding control.

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/indoor-dynamic-environment-map-feedback/1137835/4

We’ve told you what we wanted when you asked us what we wanted. We’ve explained why this was a bad idea before it was even released. Roblox has completely disregarded our opinions on this topic. And we were completely right on this:

Roblox needs to change their vision.

16 Likes

The Source Engine was created for modding. It’s mainly an FPS engine, but many mods were made with different gameplay types and visual styles. It even has custom shader support, unlike Roblox.
Even Garry’s mod, which doesn’t have custom shader support, has mods that allow for effects that are much more superior than Roblox’s.

Good example of raindrops on a window

I wasn’t talking about the fact that Roblox should be more like the Source engine in it’s design though (except for freedom of art direction), I was simply comparing older and more outdated engines to Roblox’s.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree Roblox is a little lacking in the technology part. Honestly, I would like Roblox to add something like source. Instead of forcing realism, they could make a second branch in which they incorporate more of a moding aspect.

2 Likes

So it is technically Source cubemaps, but in roblox

But done worse than Source’s cubemaps.

9 Likes

Exactly

It’s incredibly bad and would be better if it was real time.
I hope they improve this more then it already is

7 Likes

I wanted to love this update but with the annoyingly dumb ‘roblox should calculate where the env should be’ i cant even get it to work:

This might look like it works but no… i had to make a skybox using roblox just to make it even look decent. as soon as i remove it this is the beauty of this beast:

I dont want to say its ugly but come on how hard is it to make remotely decent reflections even games from the last decade have it. look at Assetto Corsa, a game running on FMOD the same engine as roblox or the Forza Horizon franchise also running on FMOD or even ETS2. I understand that mobile devices have difficulty running reflections but you can literately change the lighting via the settings so how hard would it be to just disable something i wont go on blabbing about something like this since it has been said alot of times and no i am not using meshes, all parts and the floor is using materialservice just like said in the first post.

4 Likes

Looks like car image merged with base plate. No detailed shadows

apparently it was my stupitidy and the ceiling was a tad too high up :skull:

FMOD is a sound engine. It is not a game engine

5 Likes

Woah! That looks incredible! How did you get it to work, because it isn’t working for me?

1 Like

It has been how long already since this has been added, and STILL nothing about a way to toggle this separately besides disabling EnvironmentSpecularScale. Seriously, is this a game engine or not?

4 Likes

It really is a game engine, a game engine that has less functionality than a game engine that came out around about 2005 (Source Engine)

2 Likes

maybe u should read clone trooper’s explanation :

4 Likes

The problem is, those prebuilt maps look way better!

1 Like