InGame Voice Chat

Hear me out before you say it’d break roblox’s privacy and monitorning. I think that in game voice chat would be incredibly useful for a number of reasons.

1. Making multiplayer team games encourage teamwork more effectively than typing.
  2. To allow for faster paced gameplay without requiring the player stop typing
  3. It’d open up possibilities for immersive gameplay.

My suggestion is to make voice chat a per game basis. You can turn it on or off on settings (off by default), and it will inform the player on the games page and before they join. It would also require them be 13+ years of age.

Only 1 function would really be needed for this feature.

Player1:SetVoiceVolume(Player2,Volume) --Player1 would hear Player2 at this volume. If called locally, it could be used to mute members on the opposing team, or if constantly updating the volume, make the player’s voice relative to their distance.

Have any opinions on this idea? Suggestions for how to improve it? Either would be incredibly helpful so I can refine this suggestion properly.

EDIT: I’m looking for reasons why this would be a problem. If you do not support this, it would be extremely helpful to understand a reason why. Otherwise it’s just gonna bug me that the reason not to have it is because “roblox is a kids game”, even though the developers are like 15-18+

EDIT 2: I am aware of the problems that this could cause. But I don’t think it should be immediately dismissed as a terrible idea. Constructive criticism (without sarcasm or anger, if possible :slight_smile: ) would be useful.

35 Likes

No.
WNTS as well

7 Likes

[quote] No.
WNTS as well [/quote]

Why WNTS? It would be a per place thing. The main reason against it is that kids would use it, but thats the same as saying games like COD shouldn’t have it. I mean, for fast paced games that require teamwork and strategy, it seems like a kind of important thing. It would inform the player it’s in use, require them to be of a certain age to use it, etc. I would love to hear another reason not to make it an option.

2 Likes

No thanks, I’d rather not go deaf.

2 Likes

Wut. Volume control is a feature. Your own volume as well. Wut.

3 Likes

Do you realize not only how hard it would be to develop and integrate voice chat into ROBLOX, but also how difficult moderation would be? We can’t even upload sounds >120 seconds in length, and you think they’d give us voice chat? Hah, there’s no way in(or out of) hell.

3 Likes

[quote] Do you realize not only how hard it would be to develop and integrate voice chat into ROBLOX, but also how hard moderation would be? We can’t even upload sounds >120 seconds in length, and you think they’d give us voice chat? Hah, there’s no way in(or out of) hell. [/quote] That does make sense. I was worried about moderation, however I felt that the uses of something like that could be useful (as my suggestion for it requiring the player be of a certain age to use voice chat in game or for their own games). As for the sounds, they have to moderate every sound all the time, but even with current chat, roblox only moderates them on occasion, and I would assume the same would go for voice chat. As for implementation, I can’t exactly speak for how tough that’d be.

3 Likes

You also need to take into account the average demographic of ROBLOX players - they’re mostly aged between 8 and 12. I personally don’t feel like hearing a bunch of whiny kids crying over the mic. I can just imagine ROBLOX’ voice chat turning into xbox live voice chat; mom’s beware.

On top of that, you ALSO need to think about the games the average robloxian plays. Yep - you got it; roleplaying games, hangouts, games that generally have larger server sizes and encourage social interaction. Many times, especially on roblox, this social interaction ends up in the form of online dating. ROBLOX would legitimately be making it easier for malicious kids to not only online date, but bully and generally annoy people as well.

I can’t see this working. I mean, if you really want to voice chat with friends, why not use skype, mumble, teamspeak, etc?

3 Likes

You also need to take into account the average demographic of ROBLOX players - they’re mostly aged between 8 and 12. I personally don’t feel like hearing a bunch of whiny kids crying over the mic. I can just imagine ROBLOX’ voice chat turning into xbox live voice chat; mom’s beware.

On top of that, you ALSO need to think about the games the average robloxian plays. Yep - you got it; roleplaying games, hangouts, games that generally have larger server sizes and encourage social interaction. Many times, especially on roblox, this social interaction ends up in the form of online dating. ROBLOX would legitimately be making it easier for malicious kids to not only online date, but bully and generally annoy people as well.

I can’t see this working. I mean, if you really want to voice chat with friends, why not use skype, mumble, teamspeak, etc?[/quote] It’s not for chatting with friends, but rather for allowing teamwork in fast paced games without requiring the player stop to type. As for ODing, I would figure voice chat would change. How often would a 10 year old hit on another 10 year old while directly talking to said player? And roleplaying, its up to the creators if the game fits that or not. Keep in mind, voice chat is changeable by the game developer, and a lot of game developers who want their game to be fun would know when to use it.

2 Likes

Wut. Volume control is a feature. Your own volume as well. Wut.[/quote]Doesn’t matter, each time ROBLOX updates it keeps resetting the volume. It’s a pain in the ass at the moment to have to continually mute the client each update.

I’d rather not forget one day, and then have some kid decide to make a loud obnoxious noise or speak in a really annoying tone I cannot stand. I don’t really see much of a benefit as a result of this, really. The only upside is it would make communication easier. The cons outweigh the pros. It’s hard to moderate, and kids are just going to use it to be annoying/hurdle over the moderation system to throw petty insults at each other that involve swearing.

I know that not everyone will abuse it, but there are people who will use it badly and will use it to “troll” as well.

3 Likes

Wut. Volume control is a feature. Your own volume as well. Wut.[/quote]Doesn’t matter, each time ROBLOX updates it keeps resetting the volume. It’s a pain in the ass at the moment to have to continually mute the client each update.

I’d rather not forget one day, and then have some kid decide to make a loud obnoxious noise or speak in a really annoying tone I cannot stand. I don’t really see much beneficial to this, really. It’s hard to moderate, and kids are just going to use it to be annoying/hurdle over the moderation system to throw petty insults at each other that involve swearing.

I know that not everyone will abuse it, but there are people who will use it badly and will use it to “troll” as well.[/quote] While moderation is a problem, the same goes for all voice chat. It’s tough to moderate. And, while limiting the age of players who use it won’t solve it due to fake age, it may at least reduce the number. As for volume, I wanted it to be scriptable per player, and by default, wouldn’t be loud.

1 Like

I’d rather not forget one day, and then have some kid decide to make a loud obnoxious noise or speak in a really annoying tone I cannot stand. I don’t really see much of a benefit as a result of this, really. The only upside is it would make communication easier. The cons outweigh the pros. It’s hard to moderate, and kids are just going to use it to be annoying/hurdle over the moderation system to throw petty insults at each other that involve swearing.

I know that not everyone will abuse it, but there are people who will use it badly and will use it to “troll” as well.[/quote]
Just going to add here, no volume control for mac so we are forced to hear whiny kids :uhhh:

2 Likes

[quote]Just going to add here, no volume control for mac so we are forced to hear whiny kids :uhhh:
[/quote] Yeah, ROBLOX really needs a volume control. I’m hoping you can agree on that?

4 Likes
  1. I don’t wish to hear all Players. So when ROBLOX comes with a intergated options in our menu then it would be fine.
  2. I want a block list, so that I can just simply ignore certain Players…
  3. The Moderation on this would be really hard, and for proper usage it should be saved on the ROBLOX Servers. (Any idea how much storage that takes ! )
3 Likes

I suggest watching some Bloxcast Q&A videos, this questions was asked and answered multiple times.
Spoiler: it’s not coming for obvious reasons

2 Likes

Use any other free program that’s out there. You don’t need to be able to talk to other players in-game.

2 Likes

Take skype for example!

[size=1]something you’re never on[/size]

2 Likes

This could be cool but I doubt it will work for the following reasons:
[ol]
[li]It would be incredibly hard to moderate[/li]
[li]By limiting it to 13+ would not work due to fake ages[/li]
[li]The infrastructure required would be immense (Possible for roblox to do but costly) [/li]
[li]If this was intended for 13+ wouldn’t it give an unfair advantage to those players?[/li]
[/ol]

Ok, this can be possible. How? You choose who you want to talk with. Create a channel ingame and leader could invite people in to the channel. They would have a chat and ability to talk. Like teamspeak3.

Team channel would be good too…

There could also be a global channel, but since I think no one would use it, there is no need for that.

2 Likes