Introducing a brand new ROBLOX development program: The Incubator

Note: this is separate from the accelerator program, those signups will be posted later this week.

Hi All,

ROBLOX is proud to announce the creation of a new program that we hope will continue our goal of giving back to our developer community and present even more folks with opportunities to work with ROBLOX. The ROBLOX Incubator is a 5 month professional development program where you will work with ROBLOX producers to develop and release an original game. During your time in the program you will oversee and develop an original title from initial proposal to release while working closely with our production and engineering staff.

Incubator vs Accelerator?
The primary difference between the incubator and accelerator program is time and outcome. While the accelerator program focuses on previously created content and whimsical ideas, the incubator program focuses on production and development of a new project and taking one idea from inception to completion. This is a professional development opportunity for folks and teams looking to get a firsthand look at life as a professional developer.

Hopefully the survey will answer most of your questions, but feel free to ask any more here.

Cheers and I look forward to working with many of you in the future.

35 Likes

“I dunno I have college and other pla…”

33 Likes

I have just a few questions:

Is the 5 month timeline flexible with college?
If I were to go the college in California, are the hours flexible for the program?
Will the incubator also be available later in 2017? (summer?)

Cheers!

5 Likes

Nice to see something similar to accelerator increased to 5 months, 11 weeks was tough to produce a whole new original game.

9 Likes

Agreed. The accelerator program really taught you how to scope down your project into such a short amount of time. Good luck to those who apply for the incubator program!

4 Likes

Are previous accelerators allowed? I can’t do it this time, but asking for future reference.

Also I think the timeline is kind of wonky. How flexible is it? The dates you’re talking about wouldn’t work with my college schedule, I think the soonest I’d be able to do it is next fall.

Sent in an application, but I don’t have a team. I realized that I wasn’t clear that I am absolutely willing and hoping to be paired with any team who wishes to have me during the program! I am not in this to make a game on my own.

If anyone would like to team with me, please contact me(I’m a builder/rigger/gfx/meshparts guy)!

Thanks!

Looking forward to applying this summer. Also, are teams preferred over solo applicants?

Have you considered an online version of an incubator program?

I guess it has a lot of flaws like ensuring people actually do their work remotely, but on the other hand there can be video conferences every interval of days instead of having them every working day for 8 or something hours.

8 Likes

The snacks are real. I witnessed them with my own mortal eyes.

3 Likes

Same, took some & I’m not feeling guity :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I really wish there was a junior ‘starter’ program that would focus on ‘novice/really rookie/inexperienced’ developers and the end outcome would be a more experienced/pro developer. But anyhow I can’t because of college, good lucky everyone anyway.

2 Likes

Some Answers:

• Anyone can participate in this program including those who have previously participated as accelerators and interns.
  • There will be a summer session
  • The dates are a little “wonky” as we are still trying to get a sense of what is possible over what time frame. The idea of a 5 month period is to have two 5 month sessions over the course of one year.
  • Some of the program may take place virtually until school is out, but majority of the time will be spent at our office in San Mateo.
7 Likes

“If you are NOT a US citizen, you must either be currently attending University or have previously graduated with a degree.”

Welp, there goes my hopes and dreams.

3 Likes

Yup like the J-1 visa AbstractAlex and I got.

Would the TN1 visa work for Canadians though, Justin? http://www.workpermit.com/us/employer_tn.htm
Is the important part here the part where you have to be a pro at your field? Like “previously graduated with a degree.”

2 Likes

Do we know an estimated start time for the summer session?

If the timing works out, I can apply to get back into college for January (that ends in April) so if the TN1 @Maelstronomer mentioned doesn’t work out I can go for the J-1 visa and apply. Work my ass off to possibly get enough work done on my team’s current project so we have more for the application.

This is for sure something I would love to pursue and work towards, but putting a lot of work and scheduling into this just for it not to pan out is also making this choice a lot harder.

They’ve been able to accommodate for the school cycles of past accelerators and interns. There is no set-in-stone start date; they’ll work with you to figure out the best time for you.

3 Likes

Ah darn, I thought this was going to be the accelerator program. :pensive:

I have too ambitious of a project right now to drop it to create a new game, aww what a shame. :frowning:

2 Likes

read op entirely