Introducing an Improved Appeals Process

This looks like an amazing update for those unfairly moderated! I would also be happy if we could have a history of our bans/moderations, but this is a very good step in the right direction! Keep up with the W updates, last few weeks were full of W’s

I remember the moderation history page we had back in early 2010s
(not my picture)

Another nice thing would be a moderation overhaul, I resort to asking help from my friends with audio uploads, because I’m afraid of getting my account falsely moderated and possibly having my DevEx locked for a few days. I’m not uploading any ToS violating sounds, but the moderation for them is so bad they get falsely moderated. Not only this slows down working on games, but also takes up audio slots. I think for both audios and videos, Roblox should have a system like the following:

• Players can upload an audio/video without spending any robux, in order to test if roblox allows the asset.
  • If the asset is inappropriate for ToS, players will only receive a warning, without any audio/video slot or currency being taken out of their account
  • If the asset passed, the user can choose if they want to publish this asset (either public or private), which will take away 2,000 robux from their account (if video) and will take up 1 audio or video slot.
  • If the audio/video passed but it’s not published it can’t be heard in any experience, regardless if the publisher is the creator of the experience or no, this to prevent people from uploading assets without paying.
  • If the asset is Inappropriate, and somehow passed moderation, if somebody reports the asset/user, the user will be banned for uploading an inappropriate asset
  • If the user is not id-verified they can’t publish the video/audio as a public asset, and can only use it in their experience, otherwise, they can publish the asset to the marketplace, for everybody’s use

This is what I think would help improving moderation even more and what I currently had a tons of issues with, regarding moderation

6 Likes

Mockups look pretty, but this system in operation and more investment into actually resolving the root - false moderation would result in lesser strain on the appeals process. I’m not one to be moderated heavily, but my god, decal moderation and audio moderation needs drastic improvement.

1 Like

woah they do listen to us! W great job roblox

1 Like

Strange, because I’ve tried several times and each time it’s been successful. Are you sure you did it properly?

1 Like

A step in the right direction, but not enough of a step. The issue was never how to appeal, it was a problem with how you moderate in the first place. I hope to see more significant changes to the moderation team.

4 Likes

Are you sure you did it properly?

Following these steps are what guaranteed me success each time I requested it:

You can’t just ask support “I wanna see my moderation history”. You’ll need to follow the appropriate steps in order to do so. They definitely have access to their moderation history, I know because I have gotten it several times in the past.

1 Like

does this mean goated moderation is soon on roblox? (probably not)

1 Like

Did they just violate GDPR and ROA to you in practice just telling you they can’t find or access it? LOL. I guess Roblox has room for improvement still. Let’s hope the new update will help sort out people reasons for removal and making it easier what is appealable and not appealable.

8 Likes

Can (or will) we actually see the images that were removed? Like where Fleshkjerta’s ban his image was visible. What if I don’t know what I published in the first place?

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure a multi-million dollar enterprise knows better than to violate GDPR. If they were to, they know they’d be fined a lot of money.

GDPR is specifically designed to protect the personal information of EU citizens and residents. Therefore, it only applies to EU citizens and residents inside the EU. Therefor is they say “no” to the request to people not in the EU (and the place the person resides in doesn’t have similar regulations/requirements), it wouldn’t be a violation of GDPR.

So the answer is, it depends.

If (META MARKET CAP 318.82 Billion USD) :clap: only (ALPHABET MARKET CAP 1.65 Trillion USD) :clap: you (BYTEDANCE VALUATION 223.5 Billion) :clap: knew (SPOTIFY MARKET CAP 32.30 Billion USD) :clap: if (CRITEO MARKET CAP 1.35 Billion USD) :clap: only (H&M MARKET CAP 231.34 Billion SEK (21.2 Billion USD)) :clap: you (INTERNATIONAL CONSOLDIATED AIRLINES MARKET CAP 7.36 Billion GBP (9 Billion USD)) :clap: knew (TELECOM ITALIA MARKET CAP 5.40 Billion EUR (5.8 Billion USD))

5 Likes

Oh my!! Hopefully this will truly make development a lot smoother and not inflict fear on me as a developer. Good move Roblox!

This is a really nice and welcomed change, do you think we could look at our previous bans as well?

I haven’t done it recently, so maybe it has changed since then. But even just in general, support seems to be very reluctant to actually helping you with anything until a few emails in.

Also, what do you mean by this? I don’t know of any specific way of doing this other than just contacting Roblox Support and asking them about it.

1 Like

Excited to see theres a proper appeals process now. Im hoping that with the release of this it also removes the bans for uploading assets.

Having to worry about “i wonder if uploading this image or audio is going to get me banned for a day or 3 because the automod thought it was mad” is not something we should have to worry about. It completely ruins workflows for those effected and theres not really anything you can do other than hope and pray.

Another roblox W! Reading the title alone gave me an aneurysm, so happy to see this!

Can I appeal a moderated account? The account in question was terminated over seven years ago, but still meant a lot to me.

1 Like

conveniently i just had 8 assets i uploaded moderated. (they were different whitenoise textures)
so by my prognosis, this will be available before all of those assets have been unmoderated. yay
update they all were still rejected. cant even get past bots :frowning:

2 Likes

Imagine roblox moderation system has been wrongfully falsely by AI, it’s been a while for process as whole changes better for improved is the next assets moderators since developers are fill out information, but pretty sure for those filling tickets support as soon as possible.

I appreciate that it seems there is more interest with trust and safety, however this doesn’t really change virtually anything though. It’s just a simpler flow to open a ticket, from what I can tell. In the future, I would expect to see some of the following:

• Show the content that resulted in a takedown, if feasible. If relevant, highlight the offending area.
  • Include a description of what was violated beyond a single word. (If I uploaded a link, I expect to be told what link, or what category of swear word, etc.)
  • A fair appeals process for all developers of all sizes. Any size developer should be able to appeal incorrectly anything banned, by multiple different moderators, without being just instantly told no and there’s no clarification.
  • A proper way to appeal automatic rights takedown like audios, I think & hope this is something we’ll see in combination with rights management, in the future. The answer shouldn’t be just don’t upload anything that is copyrighted, even if you have a (often-times in indies case) free license.
  • In some cases much more limited case, having a way to ‘challenge’ the appeals rejection may make sense. This is more for more limited mismoderation case. For example, unintended harm like someone’s account getting compromised and/or a rogue user in TC could be a good fit.
1 Like