Introducing Asynchronous Publishing for Places (Non-Team Create)

I’m in a place in studio right now, and it’s “Saving to Roblox” every 5 minutes, on top of saving an auto recovery file.

1 Like

That is different. This update pertains to publishing. Saving to Roblox means your place is being saved to the cloud, akin to saving your work on your local filesystem. Auto save does not publish your updates. A game you work on does not have it’s changes shown in live games until you explicitly publish.

Saving is just saving. Publish is to put your latest version to production, having the published version show in live games. You definitely have the intention to save changes when working on games.

3 Likes

I like it and all, but why does it not have the same “Sent message to server to publish…” message as Team Create? It can get a little unsettling when you don’t know if the publish request went through, specially for big maps.

1 Like

Thank you, I know what Saving to Roblox is and it’s specifically what I don’t want happening. This is the first time Roblox Studio has been automatically Saving to Roblox for me.

How do I turn this off lol

2 Likes

I actually hate that image but its so funny at the same time.

Assuming I’m understanding correctly I think that it would be good to be able to turn off the auto saving to cloud that @nick_hz is encountering. I often times keep utilities in one place so I can open the place as a template, run my utility code, and publish it somewhere else or not at all. It’s gonna be a huge pain if I have to cleanup my utility places after I use them.

Also I think it would be good to publish places in the background (e.g. show the dialogue but hide the main studio window and show again it if an error occurs). I like to close studio immediately after I publish sometimes and not having an option to hide studio is kind of annoying. I think I’d also like to be able to disable the dialogue if I know that studio will finish publishing anyway.

3 Likes

This feature is fantastic! But I’m also assuming this is why the “Publish Whole Game” feature was removed. Any chance we’ll get a substitute for mass updating packages?

1 Like

With the addition of Asynchronous Publishing we added a feature where we auto-saved to the cloud automatically for non-team create places. We realize this is creating pain for your workflow and we do not provide the tools for you to easily rollback your changes with versioning.

You may turn this feature off temporarily by disabling Auto-Recovery in File > Settings > Auto-Recovery. We will be disabling this change completely next week until we provide better tooling around versioning.

9 Likes

To clarify

This means that if all goes as planned and the Publish/Save is completed successfully, your Studio session will be automatically close

Does that mean that everytime you hit publish to, studio will close?

No. Only if you publish, and then try to close.

This is really cool, no longer will have to stress if I saved my progress or not when I close studio :joy:

If you make changes to the game while the publishing is running, will that change reflect onto the publish (assuming that the changes are made immediately after pressing publish) or will it only publish what is seen prior to pressing the publish button?

Ok, as i understand, now you can like, move when the place is saving. My question is if that will be set as default or we must find it at settings

I don’t think auto-saving should be a thing anyways. Seems like it can open up a whole can of worms.

Saving and Publishing should be done only by the developer - not an automatic system.

1 Like

No complaints. Just a generally great update. Anything that gets rid of blocking behavior is good to me!

I’m not happy with this. :neutral_face:

Last night i opened a place to make some changes but halfway trough i decided to leave everything as it was and closed Studio without saving anything, i did not know this feature was enabled and so the non final changes i made to those scripts were uploaded as well and broke parts of my game.

The concept is cool but don’t enable it by default or at least warn the user that this change is in effect.

1 Like

I agree with this. Publishing to the server can use a lot of data resources and to some people that may be important. Autosaves should be local.

Edit: by ‘data resources’, I mean paid-for data per month based on how much you use. Think of a phone plan but wifi. Some people have those plans and it would cost a lot of money to use studio in that scenario.

2 Likes

Ok so since Asynchronous Publishing was released, i have been having problems with roblox crashing while i’m saving and quitting studio sometimes, so i have to go into my auto recovery file and return to studio and upload my progress into studio. Sometimes it also takes more then one try to save as well, and i get a ‘failed to save, try again later’ message. This update is creating more pain then good, i never had issues saving and leaving studio as often as i do now.

A quick update, this is the third crash while i was saving this week, even when i use file, publish to roblox, it sits not responding for a moment as usual, then it crashes, nothing gets published.

Verry helpfull for devolepes its be amazing like for me

Maybe a little visual feedback when you initially click the button might be good to add; e.g. displaying “Publishing to Roblox…” in the status bar, or printing to the output?

2 Likes