Introducing Bulk Import to Studio

We have this on our radar and are working on implementing this capability!

7 Likes

This feature is extremely helpful. Thank you very much!

Would it be possible to add a feature to import an existing image into the Game Explorer? For example, I have an existing image with a rbxassetid that I would like to import into the Game Explorer in a new game.

Would it be possible to import all the objects selected in the game explorer? It’s a bit tedious to have to right click on them and insert with location.

3 Likes

Update: You can now import up to 200 assets at a time.

Note that if you are importing meshes with several mesh files in them, the 200 limit applies to the cumulative number of files after they have all been split.

5 Likes

Finally came around trying this out, it works like a charm :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Though it can become a little bit tedious searching for all the meshes in the game explorer … especially if there are already hundreds of mesh-part entries.

In the future, it would be nice to be able to copy multiple ID’s

Agreed, and I feel like when importing the meshes into workspace, the parts shouldn’t be renamed with numbers and additional words to the mesh as its indicated under the “Mesh” folder, it should stay what it originally was when uploading the meshes (if the names are appropriate of course), but other than that yes, it absolutely does work like a charm! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It works well for you? I have had quite the issues with importing a .fbx with several model groups inside and not importing to the correct locations regardless if I click import to location or not.

This could be because the origin of your meshes in blender are not set to the center of your scene. Importing meshes with correct locations works as intended, since it inserts them relative to the origin. Try selecting all your meshes and applying their location (CTRL + A in Object mode, keep in mind that some modifiers, like the mirror modifier rely on the origin point of a mesh, and applying position may or may not affect the mirror modifier), this should reset the origin to the 0,0,0 position in blender, and importing by location should work correctly.

1 Like

I have had the same issue, even after applying location, size and rotation - doesn’t seem to be a fix that I can think of. I have resulted to using obj’s which do not have this problem. I hope applying location works for you, if not - export as obj.

1 Like

I would consider just uploading each separately unless you NEED to upload tons of meshes. FBX is a way better format than OBJ.

OBJ is a much simpler format than FBX, while OBJ only supports mesh data, custom normals, UVs and materials. FBX also supports rigs, animation, lights, cameras and more. This is why OBJ files tend to be smaller than FBX and why FBX files come across more issues - such as the one you’ve described. In short OBJ files only store geometry information and therefore, have more limitations than an FBX file when it comes to non static models. FBX files are more common, however both have their advantages and limitations. Using one instead of the other for simple Roblox models - won’t make a huge difference to your game.

2 Likes

I get a error saying Retry limt hit. Try again later.
thisisapicturetitle

1 Like

It looks like there may be issues with uploading assets ATM. See if it still happens in a few hours

3 Likes

Exactly. They should just update the normal Create page on the site!

1 Like

HI, I can’t seem to find the button to import it.

You have to publish your game and use the game explorer.
Or you could also use this great plugin from the user @ForyxeV

You can find the thread here: Fast Mesh Importer

Enjoy!

1 Like

It would be convenient to have the ability to create subfolders of directories, because it gets pretty messy with a ton of assets. For example in Game Explorer->Images, I might want to have a folder for UI elements, and another for particle textures. Unless there is a way to already do this that I have no idea of, I think it’d be a great addition in the future.

Just as I finished typing this I found a Studio Features post for this exact idea.

2 Likes

You can still upload through studio and the asset will be available through the web interface. You can easily access the global ROBLOX ID of the asset by right clicking it in the game explorer on the game you uploaded it to and replace the relevant values.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.