Introducing Grass

I have read the post through the end. I really get annoyed when people tell me this because most likely I don’t understand, or have read the post wrong.

I know the decoration system is a temporary stand in, but once it’s removed, will it be scriptable? What if somebody wants the grass to constantly change color through a cycle of colors every second? (Note this is after the decoration system is removed) The main question I have now is, will it be scriptable in the future?

ConvexRumbler was only referring to the Decoration property being non-scriptable because it will be removed, not Grass’ future features. The color of Grass currently stays consistent with the Color3 of the Grass terrain material, there’ve been numerous previous requests for a separate property (likely for non-grass objects) but there isn’t a official statement on it yet, nonetheless you can change the color of Grass via script as it is now if you’re okay with modifying the Terrain color.

2 Likes

Thank you for helping me understand. This helps.

Happy Holidays!

2 Likes

Know what I really want to see, a official way to paint terrain using scripts and the decoration system, I CAN SEE SO MANY USES for this, be it removing grass, or changing voxels or anything else that comes with this update as well, it could really open up the scripting area with voxels.

Oh. My. God. I. Am. In. Love. With. This. Update.

17 Likes

Hey guys :slight_smile:
A potential workaround to ‘paint’ tall grass is by using Leafy Grass at spots you don’t want to have the tall grass.

Since we can also customize the colours of terrain materials, you can make it blend really well by changing the Leafy Grass to the same colour as Grass in case you want that.

Just thought I’d share. I hope it helps. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

That’s Really Cool, I thought the ground was true lol, but that’s better if the grass are more 3d.

3 Likes

This is so amazing like this will help groups make more realist maps now :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a very nice addition, but it has been more than a “week or two” and there’s still no sign of seeing this live on game servers. Any update on this?

Are you sure it’s enabled in the games you’re playing? It’s working fine in any of my games, and as previously mentioned, it’s live on the client.

You need to enable it with the Decorations property of Terrain.

4 Likes

Oops, that’s my bad. Thanks for letting me know.

3 Likes

I love it! It would be really cool if there were to be leafs and sticks added to this update.

3 Likes

True! It would be cool if we had a tab to insert premade meshes like leafs and sticks. It would make development faster, and it would be good for games that are realistic. :smile:

6 Likes

It is really cool, but it does not work on Leafy Grass. If you can make Leafy Grass have this grass AND leaves that would be perfect for fall-styled games!

1 Like

It doesn’t work on LeafyGrass so you can manually paint vegetation.

1 Like

Oh! That does make sense. Still think if they added 3D Modeled leaves it would look sick.

3 Likes

pleasepleaseplease add an ability to add this to the grass material on parts
i don’t like using the terrain painter

11 Likes

Just messing around with it, it looks amazing!

(I have no idea why this car is on the left btw)

37 Likes

The update makes the maps even more realistic!

8 Likes

Absolutely love this grass update. It really compliments our games aesthetic.

As a few users have mentioned above, it’d be great having more control over the grass settings as right now it seems impossible to sport varying grass colour in a single map.

39 Likes